Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Does money make you happy?
1  2  3  Next

Yes  
 62%  [ 52 ]
No  
 12%  [ 10 ]
Other  
 25%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 83

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:10 am
Are you the type of person that is happy with what you have?
There are people like me no matter how much I have I get used to it and then find a reason to complain.
I guess it also has to do with me being scared of losing it all.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:11 am
I believe if you have no money at all it's extremely hard to be (hungry but) happy...

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:38 am
Money has taken away a lot of our worries, anxiety and struggles, which in turn has made us happy.

I got used to the convenience and ease of the lifestyle, but never find reason to complain. If you focus on how fortunate you are, especially when seeing the situations of others, you will never complain. IMO, this is not something that's difficult to achieve. All it takes in one minute of introspection.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:40 am
I'd rather be rich and happy than poor and happy but I don't think money makes a person happy. It's a means, not an end.

Growing

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:16 am
Happiness is a state of mind. It can be achieved with or without money.
That said money buys basic necessities, conveniences, and luxuries.

People who cannot pay their food bills, rent, utilities, tuition will definitely experience stress.
People who can pay all these expenses and remain with money in the bank may be experiencing stress from other situations.

We are told 'עני חשוב כמת ' - I don't like to think about this but its gotta carry some weight to some extent.
I don't remember the source or wording but it is brought down somewehere that when a person doesn't have money, this can seriously 'mess with his mind'.

So money doesn't make you happy but it certainly 'takes you places'

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 11:30 am
money cannot make you happy ... but toilet paper can make you're life a little more cushy

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:40 pm
Money can buy you everything

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Money can buy you everything

Really? Guess I must not have spent enough on trying to have a healthy pregnancy. Believe me when I say money cannot buy you everything. It can buy you many things but not everything.

Seraph

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:54 pm
Money doesnt make me happy, but less money stress does. Times when we have more cash flow, I am less tense and therefore in a better mood, when money is tighter, we're more stressed out and in a worse mood. But none of these are insanely large amounts of money- they're still small amounts of money...

Marz613

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:56 pm
if I had more of it, it would certainly make life a lot easier. my kids could do extra curricular activities, private tutoring instead of doing it myself (very stressful), household help, better location/house, babysitting, shopping at any supermarket.

Seraph

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 12:59 pm
Shlomo Hamelech said "marbeh nechasim marbeh de'agos"- more property/possessions, more worries. Its true. I personally wouldnt want to be rich, because there are worries and stresses involved in that. But at the same time, "ani chashuv kimess"- a poor person is considered like they're dead. Somewhere in the middle would make most people happiest- less money stress, but not rich and not too poor.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 1:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
money cannot make you happy ... but toilet paper can make you're life a little more cushy

It depends which toilet paper. The more money you have, the cushier the toilet paper Wink .

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:02 pm
yo'ma wrote:
greenfire wrote:

It depends which toilet paper. The more money you have, the cushier the toilet paper Wink .

well I did notice some smart@$$ using up the tissues in place of the cheaper tp ... so ya never know

smiledr

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:19 pm
Money certainly does help buy happiness in my opinion. There's something to be said about not worrying where you'll get the money for groceries and mortgage and certainly having nice things makes me happy but there are no guarantees.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:32 pm
Seraph wrote:
Money doesnt make me happy, but less money stress does. Times when we have more cash flow, I am less tense and therefore in a better mood, when money is tighter, we're more stressed out and in a worse mood. But none of these are insanely large amounts of money- they're still small amounts of money...

This.
More money = more worries but more money is less stress because you can cover the needs. Right now things are extremely tight and the stress is unreal which also goes for bad moods and depression. So it may not make me happy becuase the more you have the more you want but not being stressed is definitely a happier mood.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:47 pm
Money can't buy you happiness in of itself. But if you take the same situation, the same marriage, the same children, the same personalities, the same health -- usually those with more money will be happier.

In my younger days I was more naive, I thought pursuing money was crass and shallow.

I'm older now, and now I think that money can buy some level of happiness.
It certainly can buy you better doctors and better treatments. Sometimes that can be the difference between life and death.
It can buy a nice large house which makes home life much calmer and the background more beautiful.
It can buy you laser and facials and the best creams and make up, it can buy you a gym membership and healthy food, and you will look fitter and more beautiful.
It can buy you time - you can hire a cleaner, you can hire a gardener, you can take a taxi instead of the bus, you can buy everything at the first store instead of hunting down sales. And you can use all that free time for something valuable, like enhancing your home life.

Just a few examples. There are a million more. I no longer think having money beyond the basic necessities is frivolous. I think it can really confer a lot of value. Having money, IMO, is not really about materialism and buying the latest labels (although of course there are many who limit their lives to this). I think a person who uses their money wisely can enhance their life in many non-materialistic ways.

Money doesn't = materialism all the time, it can equal = better health, better home life, beauty (and the accompanying self esteem), more time, and on and on.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 2:51 pm
Money makes me very VERY happy, sometimes.

I find JOY in many other things too.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 3:34 pm
Money helps but it's not going to make all your problems go away. I have a special needs son and we can, thank g-d, afford a special school that costs more than double his old yeshiva tuition. Wonderful...but that money isn't making his problems go away, it's just helping deal with them.

Imogen

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 4:04 pm
Having money to buy things I need for my famlily makes me happy, food, education, clothing and recreation etc. But being happy is a lot more than merely acquiring things, it is indeed a state of mind. I have known so many depressed wealthy people and seen so many people in the USA and UK etc suffering from " AFLUENZA" rushing off to therapists to talk and share problems which in other societies would be shared with friends and family. Money for luxuries does not make me happy, I am comfortable and could if I wished spend more on designer items etc. but those things make me sad, as with the glamour come envy and avarice from others. Money also complicates friendships and shidduchim

amother

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 4:11 pm
a family with no money and a special needs child would have all the problems you face plus the strain of no money to pay for all the special needs child's extra expenses.

I am poorer than poor, am running to therapists, have problems with friendship because I'm embarrassed of the situation and can worry about shiduchim due to lack of money....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics