Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Cheap kid friendly soup?
1  2  Next

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 9:03 am
Any suggestions?

sarahd

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 9:07 am
Most soups, IME, are cheap. It depends what kind of soup your kids like. For example, aside from Shabbos chicken soup, my kids will basically only eat pureed soups. Their favorite soup is zucchini soup. I can make ten other kinds of delicious soups - Ukrainian borschch, lentil soup, garden vegetable soup, mushroom barley soup, bean soup - and they won't come near it. But split pea soup, pureed carrot or butternut squash soup - those they love. So what do your kids prefer?

shevi82

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 11:18 am
My kids favorite is Orange soup. It's blended vegetable soup, that is orange after blended.
You can put in whatever you have at home, carrots, celery, onion, red pepper, squash, sweet potato , regular potato, pumpkin.
No need to chop just peel and cut up in to 4 or 6. cover with water untill boils and veggies are soft, then blend with hand blender add salt, black pepper and a little garlic powder.
delicious, super easy and cheap.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:02 pm
A good chunky vegetable soup using whatever is either in the frig or what's in season with a crushed tomato base. You can make it pareve and serve it with noodles of some kind or barley or rice and add cheese if you like. This is still a favorite of my grown children. Also, creamy tomato soup made with a can of tomato puree, some water, fake beef soup powder, and touched up with a little milk just before serving with some rice or noodles added is a comfort food for most of us too. Just the thing you need when you just need something warm and comfortable. Especially with a grilled cheese sandwich.

sunflowers

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:11 pm
My kids love onion soup from the bais yaakov cookbook. All you need is some onions, flour, onion soup mix and spices. You can add the cheese , (more expensive) but my kids like it parve.

Sparkle

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 12:59 pm
Yeah - same as posters above. My kids will eat any blended soups. I boil the following combinations until soft and then blend with an immersion blender. I season with salt, pepper, garlic, and dill:
potato/broccoli
zucchini/onion
carrots/sweet potato/zucchini/onion
You really can throw whatever vegies you have in the house into the pot and it will taste good. :-)

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 1:18 pm
What makes a soup kid-friendly other than making sure it's not too hot? I think soup--any kind of soup--is the ultimate kid-friendly food (though not, perhaps, quite as kid-friendly as Cheerios), both in the preparing and the consuming thereof.

acccdac

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 1:23 pm
you can also throw in some pasta, Ditalini pasta, thats whats usually put into minestrone soup.

I remember as a kid I loved the vegetable soup that came in the can cause it had alphabet pasta inside.

imasinger

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 1:32 pm
Kids can be more interested in eating it if they help make it. You can provide some ingredients and let them pick which ones go in.

watergirl

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 2:01 pm
My kids love creamy potato soup and also the Carrot soup from the Beis Yaakov cook book. But the truth is, put in ABC noodles and any soup is a hit.

SS6099

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 2:40 pm
My kids love chicken soup and potato soup. The first one is healthy but not necessarily cheap, and the second is cheap but not necessarily healthy Sad

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 2:42 pm
Mushroom barley soup goes well in our house. We put in barley, mushrooms, carrots, zuchinni, spices, and water of course.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 5:31 pm
In terms of our kids preference:

- chicken soup!!
-butternut squash soup
-cream of mushroom soup (thickend with a bit of rice)
-tomato soup
- fruit soup
- Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup
- carrot potage soup
- potato and leek soup
- chicken wonton soup
-curried parsnip soup (though one doesn't like it)
- lentil soup (the other one doesn't like it though)
- miso soup (though I'm not sure how nutritious they are)
- fennel soup

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 9:17 pm
Add some alphabet pasta to make the soup more exciting.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 9:32 pm
My kids aren't interested in blended soups, they like chunks. Tortellini soup, chunky vegetable, Asian chicken (ginger/garlic broth with ramen, chicken pieces, peapods, matchstick carrots, and napa/bok choy), mushroom barley. Try the mini meatball soup from the kids' Kosher by Design book.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 9:37 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
In terms of our kids preference:

- chicken soup!!
-butternut squash soup
-cream of mushroom soup (thickend with a bit of rice)
-tomato soup
- fruit soup
- Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup
- carrot potage soup
- potato and leek soup
- chicken wonton soup
-curried parsnip soup (though one doesn't like it)
- lentil soup (the other one doesn't like it though)
- miso soup (though I'm not sure how nutritious they are)
- fennel soup

Do you have any of these recipes posted here? I'm particularly interested in the Chinese chicken and fennel soups.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Oct 26 2013, 9:10 pm
Chinese chicken & sweetcorn soup
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 medium to large onion, peeled, trimmed chopped
8cups chicken soup/stock
1 500g tin of sweetcorn
2 tbsp. cornflour (you can use potato starch, but use 1/3 less)
2 eggs, beaten till no streaks of white are visible
1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
2-3 salad onion (scallion), chopped finely

In a large soup pot, sautee celery and onion with a very small amount of oil for about 15min or so, till soft but before they turn colour. Add chicken soup, sweetcorn (including liquid, but save 1/2 cup liquid separately) and bring to simmer. Turn off heat, whiz with hand-held blender. (Be careful! it's hot). Dissolve cornflour/potato starch into the 1/2 cup liquid from sweetcorn you saved. Bring the flame back on, add cornflour mix and continue to stir till thickened. Drizzle beaten eggs VERY gradually in THIN stream while continuing to stir the soup (this will give the egg drop effect). Add toasted sesame oil and chopped salad onion before serving into individual bowl for extra flavor. Enough to serve about 10.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Oct 26 2013, 9:41 pm
Fennel soup

2 medium onions, peeled, top/tailed, chopped
2 large or 3 medium fennels
1 rib celery
1 large or 2 medium potato, peeled and cut in small cubes
1 vegetable soup cube

Remove the outermost leaves from fennel if it's very hard. Also trim any very-hard looking bits. Slice off about 1/4 inch from the bottom and discard. Cut horizontally (ie across the strings) in strips. Reserve inner green fronds separately for garnish.
In a large pot, heat 1tbsp vegetable oil, sautee onions, fennels and celery, stirring frequentlyl to avoid browning. Once the vegetables are wilted and softened (the whole sautéing can take 15-20min), add about 4 cups water, cubed potatoes and soup cube, continue to simmer for about 20min over a low flame. Whizz with a hand held blender. Adjust seasoning. [optional: add 1/2 cup unsweetened parve cream. Alternatively use only 3 cups water, whizz and add 1 cup milk.] Garnish with chopped green fonds.

Rutabaga

Post Sat, Oct 26 2013, 9:49 pm
Thanks! Sounds yummy.

shaini

Post Sun, Nov 03 2013, 8:22 pm
sarahd, could you post your recipe for split pea soup? Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics