Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Help from fellow Montrealers...

Chanie

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 10:51 am
I'm really desperate. As of July 1st I do not have an apartment. Some how there was a mix up in communication and my landlord thought we said we were moving and he re-rented our apt while we were away for pessach. (yes I know that I can fight it since tenants always have the right, but I have no strength for a fight, plus I really do need a bigger place)
So for my question: Does ANYONE know of an apartment , min 5 1/5 for rent at a non-outrageously high price in Montreal. Please, Please, I'm desperate here.

gryp

Post Thu, May 19 2005, 10:53 am
my brotherinlaw is moving or just moved. I dont know if anyone took his yet.
and my sister might have an apartment ready to rent.
PM me.

queenie

Post Wed, Jun 15 2005, 4:43 pm
Who said anything about fighting? If you did not send a registered letter to your landlord and he does not have anything in writing it is perfectly legal for you to stay. In fact, if you do not send him anything that says you are moving (in writing) then legally, your lease is automatically renewed at the same rate as the year before. The only reason you usually sign a new lease is bc landlords raise the rent. If he doesn't want to raise the rent you simply don't sign a new lease and it's automaticaly renewed. When we moved out of our old place the landlord asked us for a letter in writing saying that we are not renewing and we are moving out. He did that bc he had new tenants lined up (at a higher rate of rent) and he didn't want us changing our minds.

You don't have to fight, you just tell him you are staying and you are sorry for the mistake. He can take you to the rental board if he wants. That's his choice not yours. The landlord tenant act in Montreal really protects the tenant and not the landlord. If you don't have a place, just don't move. Isn't your landlord curious about when you are planning to move? I would still tell him that you are not planning to move.

Goodluck.

Chanie

Post Wed, Jun 15 2005, 8:54 pm
Thank G-d everything fell into place.
First I told my landlord off and he was really upset telling me that he's always been a great landlord, never bothered us about anything in the 3 years we've been here and he cannot believe that we are threatening him. But then he said he will sit down with us to discus it and see what we can come up with.
That same day I found out that a friend bought a house so their was a vacancy in the place she was living before, so I'm moving after all. It took time and I was so nervous, but in the end it worked out great.

miriam

Post Wed, Jun 15 2005, 11:00 pm
Baruch Hashem. I am so happy for you.

queenie

Post Wed, Jun 15 2005, 11:24 pm
Glad it all worked out. It's still good advice to do things by the book. If you do things "officially" then there is no confusion later about what people said or what they meant.

Pearl

Post Thu, Jun 16 2005, 6:57 am
baruch hashem it worked out! hope the new place will be wonderful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics