Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
French's french fried onions dairy or pareve?

mol

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 6:24 am
It says on the side of the container "made on same epuiptment as products containing milk ingredients". I always thought people use them to coat chicken?

Grandma 1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 6:51 am
I remember checking this out with the OU? (or whoever gives the hechsher), years back, and they said that despite this warning (for allergy reasons, I think), the product is pareve, and can be served withh meat. I don't remember the reason that they gave. If you call them to check for yourself, please update us.

Grandma 1

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 7:24 am
Just want to add to my last post: The OU doesn't have a DE (Dairy Equipment) designation. They list such products, as OUD. The onions have a regular OU designation, not OUD, and are listed both on the OU website, and on the product's website, as pareve.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Oct 29 2013, 8:03 am
Yes, we had this issue! DH called a Rav and the Rav said as follows: The product is pareve. It is made on the same equipment as milchig foods. However, the machinery is cleaned well enough in between production runs to ensure that the food is pareve. However, for allergy reasons, the law is that they must disclose the allergens that may be found in the facility or on the same equipment regardless of how well it is cleaned.

Bottom line, the product is pareve and may be used with chicken. The disclosure on the package does not invalidate that and is only for allergy reasons.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen