Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you keep your house clean???!

MMCH

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:18 pm
I dont get it.
I clean daily. I sweep 3x a day.
im home with my baby and my 3year old comes home @ 230.
I odnt have a cleaning lady.
I dont get it, I feel like im always cleaning, straightening out, organizing, picking up, and the house is still a mess.
my dh casually asked when I vacuum, bc there was lots of stuff on our bedroom floor I was so embarrassed

please give me advice.

acemom

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:32 pm
Hugs!

If you have a vacuum, use it! I sometimes keep mine out but in a corner all week so that I can just grab it and "take a walk" while it is on, eliminating the sweeping(which I hate doing). As you'd walk around pickup stuff and put it in a central pile, which you can work on eliminating later. You can enlist the help of your 3 year old to pick up his own toys. Try to allow only one toy per child at a time so that you don't have a million little pieces rolling around.

This has somehow worked for me but maybe some more experienced "housewives" out there can elaborate or come up with something different. My house is not "spic and span" all the time but at least the general appearance is neat.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:43 pm
I don't. I long ago stopped running after them. Either dh and the kids do it or it doesn't get done. I hold down a full-time job and don't plan on undertaking another one so my kids can grow up to be slobs. The cleaning lady comes once a week maximum for bathrooms and floors.

MMCH

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 2:47 pm
thanks for advice..

I recently went to my friends house, who doesn't either have cleaning help, and she has 4 boys!! loud crazy ones !
and her house is absolutely spotless. there is not a paper in sight, the toys are all in the the playroom only, in a controlled sort of mess.
there wasnt a dot on her counter and not on appliance was out , nothing
it was like as if she doesnt cook, or prepare her meals, which I know she does.
I dont get it. I dont stop for a minute!

do you think its a personality? like some of us are naturally cleaner and more organized than others?

mother4

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 3:08 pm
It definitely has to do with ones nature. Some ppl. have a knack how to stay organized and minimize making a mess. Aside from that, they are quick and energetic to clean/straighten up right away.

Some make a mess the entire day, and only clean up major at night.

I like to keep house clean - the whole day. Whenever someone shall happen to knock at my door - I would not be ashamed how the house looks.

Of course, I have to let my kids live. I have 5 kids & never had a cleaning lady. Happy & active kids is my priority. I am lucky to have a basement which most of mess can be there. Even there are toys upstairs, I don't consider that dirt. If I see it gets all over, I will combine it into one place (or room) I do get annoyed when I see one room after the other - a mess.

I think a good rule is to make sure the house is clean (floors before you start the day, beds made) and to further keep order of organization. For ex: Don't take out laundry, unless you are ready to fold. Don't decide to bake a cake, when kitchen is a wreck. Don't unpack, if you are not sure you will be able to complete packing back.

Perhaps it may also help to keep master bedroom door (and other rooms) closed, so toddler doesn't get in there to make mess. At least husband won't find any mess in there. It's a huge difference to come home into at least one quiet, neat place in house.

I always find that I am more calm when the house is clean and in order. I also find that when baby is up I try to get out of house, and when they go to sleep, either I finish work like cleaning or supper, or take nap. Utilize every minute of day to its max.

I used to clean by a particular person's house as a job. Although she is wonderful as a person, she is terrible at maintaining her house. I knew no matter how clean I made her house, the next day it was a wreck!! Even though she had cleaning help, she didn't know how to keep it up.

It's constant work and never ending.

trying1

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 3:15 pm
I've also got a house of boys - and no longer have cleaning help! I have found that this has made me more responsible - now, if the floor needs sweeping, I do it straightaway instead of waiting for the cleaning lady. Ditto about toys on the floor, kitchen messes etc. My house isn't perfect - but then, nor am I!
PS My boys are little - but they are leaning that they also have to help! It's everyone's home after all

m+m

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 3:29 pm
I have a 1 year old and the house can get messy. The best way to deal with it is not let it get out of control. While DD is napping I will make sure to do a quick clean up from the morning so when DD wakes up it's pretty clean. While she is in her highchair eating (and throwing food on the floor) I will wash dishes so they don't pile up. I clean up the toys while she is still up so she can learn to "help". After she is asleep I vacuum and sweep if necessary. After dinner (DH and I wait till DD is asleep) I wash the dishes so they are not left for the morning. I also have a rule for myself that I never leave them on a towel or rack to dry, they are dried ad put away right away. DH will help with dishes most of the time. I try to keep my house as clean as possible because you never know who is going to knock on the door.
2-3 times a week I go to every room and empty the garbages. Toilets and floors are cleaned once a week on Fridays after I finish cooking. On the short Fridays I do the big clean up Thursday night when DD is asleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry