Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Camp sternberg
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 4:03 pm
Thinking of sending my 14 yo to sternberg. How is it? wht kind of girls? Any info will be great!!

bubbebia

Post Mon, Nov 11 2013, 8:13 pm
For whatever it's worth, because I sent my girls there many years ago, my girls were so happy there. They had great counselors, made friends that have lasted through time and went on to work there. My kids came from OOT and had little experience with NY Jews. It was an eye-opening experience for them, but in the long run they thrived there. For them it was a kind of refuge after having to deal with those who were less than frum. It was so nice for them to not have to explain everything they did or ate or learned. And the camp was very accomodating to my July birthday girls. Generally food packages are not permitted, but because my girls never got to have birthday parties we devised a system whereby my mother sent "a birthday party in a box" and it was for the whole bunk. They even managed to do something about a cake one year. The camp was wonderful to us.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:09 pm
It's officially a bais yaakov camp but the girls are very diverse so while there are definitely by girls there, there are also non bais yaakov girls there. . .

They are more into ruchnius as opposed to gashmius, compared to other camps, in my experience.

Any other questions?

June

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:19 pm
unless someone currently sends their kids there, you will get some very outdated information.

it was an absolutely awesome camp. I was there for 7 years. it shaped my entire life.

it changed in the last few years, though I don't know whether for better or for worse.

to clarify: my last summer there was 4 years ago. it was starting to change already then. at this point it may be a totally different place. however, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.

Last edited by June on Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:21 pm
Hey Machanainu! LOL

Simple1

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:28 pm
It used to be very affordable with steep scholarships and that changed a few years ago when the owners changed. It makes sense that it would change - there are many who cant afford it anymore. I know people who went years ago and it sounds like it was a great camp if you don't want a yeshivish place - but I don't know what it's like now.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:32 pm
A friend of mine sends her daughter every year, and she always comes home SO excited, happy and energized. She absolutely adores it, and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. She just got her lifeguard certificate, and is looking forward to working there next summer.

From what I've heard, it's very BY - open minded and inclusive. The girls are sweet, and not so catty or competitive.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:56 pm
My daughter will be attending Sternberg this summer (and has for the past 5+ years), so my information is current.

The owners are new but the administration running it and the philosophy etc seems to be the same. They upgraded some parts of camp (ie the Lake now has really great activities) but not everything (the bunkhouses still have no ac). It is still somewhat of a no frills camp.

It is a BY type camp but more diverse, oot, etc

She counts down the days until the summer. . .

What specific questions do you have?

June

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:30 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter will be attending Sternberg this summer (and has for the past 5+ years), so my information is current.

The owners are new but the administration running it and the philosophy etc seems to be the same. They upgraded some parts of camp (ie the Lake now has really great activities) but not everything (the bunkhouses still have no ac). It is still somewhat of a no frills camp.

I'm so glad to hear about that a lot of things have stayed the same!

my last summer there was so sad when they started introducing things that nobody wanted just to be like other camps.

important question: does pioneers still do extreme stuff? hiking breakneck ridge? caving? Delaware overnight?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:46 pm
June wrote:
amother wrote:

my last summer there was so sad when they started introducing things that nobody wanted just to be like other camps.

important question: does pioneers still do extreme stuff? hiking breakneck ridge? caving? Delaware overnight?

The answer to your last question(s) is yes, I believe they do still do all those things you mentioned.

And, just curious, what are some things they introduced that nobody wanted, just to be like other camps?

June

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:56 pm
amother wrote:
June wrote:
amother wrote:

The answer to your last question(s) is yes, I believe they do still do all those things you mentioned.

And, just curious, what are some things they introduced that nobody wanted, just to be like other camps?

one thing we as staff were upset about, and the campers hated, was color war. ugh, it was awful! such a time waster (I guess that was the point - it took up two full days) and the kids were miserable.

maybe by now they got it right and know how to do color war so the kids actually have fun...

there were other things also, just don't remember offhand.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 2:02 pm
make sure the drinking water is good and the bathroom's flush

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 2:11 pm
June wrote:
amother wrote:
June wrote:
amother wrote:

one thing we as staff were upset about, and the campers hated, was color war. ugh, it was awful! such a time waster (I guess that was the point - it took up two full days) and the kids were miserable.

maybe by now they got it right and know how to do color war so the kids actually have fun...

there were other things also, just don't remember offhand.

Yeah, I hated color war too (both as a camper and a staff member, in Sternberg and the other camps I went too), but surely that wasn't just introduced a few years ago? I went to Sternberg about 20 years ago for many years (close to 10) and I don't think they ever didn't have it (even though they did try to call it field day. . . )

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
make sure the drinking water is good and the bathroom's flush

EGG WATER! lol!! (any sternbergers know what I'm talking about?)
My summers in Sternberg were literally amazing. So many great memories from there.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 10:43 pm
yes egg water -- not so funny At wits end

I hope they have clean drinking water now h20
and that the bathrooms flush
my daughter cried she wanted to come home I feel bad I did not take her home.

spoons

Post Tue, Nov 04 2014, 7:51 pm
I know this is an old thread but I have some Sternberg questions.
I went there back in the 90s and I'm wondering if the general population is still the same. For example,most of us wore short socks and for younger girls we wore knee length skirts. But I just watched the video on their website and seems eeryone's wearing knee socks and/or long biz skirts (didn't know they still made those!)
If my going into 6th gr. daughter were to go and wear knee length skirt with short socks- would she be alone?
anything else to add, I"d appreciate it!
and ps- now as a paying parent I certainly appreciate being able to camp so much more! Cuz honestly, I dont know if I can do it. When I went, it was a 'federation camp' and MUCH, MUCH cheaper....all that extra money and still same bunkhouses? how's the eggwater etc?

June

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 2:51 am
spoons wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I have some Sternberg questions.
I went there back in the 90s and I'm wondering if the general population is still the same. For example,most of us wore short socks and for younger girls we wore knee length skirts. But I just watched the video on their website and seems eeryone's wearing knee socks and/or long biz skirts (didn't know they still made those!)
If my going into 6th gr. daughter were to go and wear knee length skirt with short socks- would she be alone?
anything else to add, I"d appreciate it!
and ps- now as a paying parent I certainly appreciate being able to camp so much more! Cuz honestly, I dont know if I can do it. When I went, it was a 'federation camp' and MUCH, MUCH cheaper....all that extra money and still same bunkhouses? how's the eggwater etc?

as a whole, they've become more yeshivish, and tightened the dress code, but at your dd's age I think it's still normal/allowed to wear short skirts/socks. check what their rules are.

since they lost the scholarships the camp has really dwindled in size - there are only a few bunks per age group now. I believe the bunkhouses are the same, but there are more amenities (such as the waterslide in the lake, etc.)

they haven't had egg water since my 2nd year there - over 10 years ago! they do still have federation cookies!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 11:25 am
Thanks for bringing back so many GREAT memories. Egg water, federation cookies, Machaneninu, brown lake...
I went ages ago and it was more diverse and much more open than a typical BY. I also wore short socks at I think age 11 - but it seems like it has moved more to the right. I went because my parents couldn't afford any other camps even though I am more BY.

monseychick

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 11:56 am
Color War YAY !!!!!!!!!!

Don't go to Woodbourne Shame on you Shame on you

nyer1

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 12:02 pm
I know a lot of people who went there and loved it.

it's now under new ownership. I think people still love it but there are definitely a lot of changes. some better, some not, but overall sounds like a great place. sorry I can't give more info than that
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children