Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cookie sheets stained

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 11:55 am
it drives me crazy that I cannot get the cookie sheets really clean ... they get stained from the oils & steel pads will ruin the finish

they are good companies I.e. wilton, ecko, etc. ~ how do I get around this ?

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:33 pm
I feel your pain, having felt it myself. The quick answer is "you can't". Nonstick bakeware doesn't stay nonstick very long and you can't scour it. I will never again buy a coated baking pan, if I can help it. It's back to plain uncoated aluminum, which can be scoured to brilliance with steel wool.

In the meantime, try straight baking soda on a sponge; if that doesn't work, try Bon Ami. Lye-based oven cleaner will dissolve the crud, but is a corrosive menace. Besides risking chemical burns, you risk the chemical eating a hole right through the pan if there is so much as a tiny scratch in the coating.

Or go the other way and embrace the blackening of your pans as evidence of your baking expertise. Black pans are more energy-efficient, as they absorb heat. Sparkling shiny pans look great but waste energy and make baking take longer.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:40 pm
I will embrace the magnificence of my baking ... like a badge of honour I will stop being ashamed of my oily, stained cookie sheets & bake-ware ... but I need my cakes & muffins & cookies able to pop out of the pan

gotta say I replaced my milky pots with a $19.99 clearance set [similar to one my sister purchased for over $200] back some years ago & I've never been happier ... no more teflon peeling off ... stainless steel cleans to a shine with a stainless steel pad - every time [don't look too close for scratches]

p.s. I will not use poisons such as lye ... I do however use baking soda & vinegar - but alas it's not effective

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 12:41 pm
Who is scrutinizing your cookie sheets and judging your worth as a home maker? Scratching Head

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:00 pm
If nonstick is what you want, line the pans with parchment paper. It can be reused a few times.

I haven't tried silicone bakeware--it's expensive, and it's flexible so it's awkward to handle when full of batter. But because it's flexble, the baked goods should in theory pop out with ease.

Let's hear it for good old unadorned stainless steel (for cooking) and aluminum (for baking). They require no coddling, stand up to heat, metal utensils, and other forms of abuse, polish up with steel wool, and, if good quality, can last two lifetimes.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Who is scrutinizing your cookie sheets and judging your worth as a home maker? Scratching Head

Can't a woman desire pristine bakeware for herself? It isn't always about impressing the neighbors.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:14 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

nobody ... my ocd & I want my pots & pans to shine like the top of the chrysler building Sunny

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:15 pm
btw ~ silicone pans are nice in theory alone ... they do not bake the same way an aluminum pan bakes ... it's akin using a microwave

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:25 pm
I don't trust silicone bakeware--I cannot believe that it will not give off toxic gases of one sort or another if the heat gets too high. Besides, I'm a big believer in multipurposing. A baking sheet with sides can become a blech, a serving tray, a gong sound effect in a play, a potting tray when it's time to repot plants. A metal cake pan, ditto. A silicone baking utensil? Not so much.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 1:52 pm
besides - what will the grandkids play drums on ... the future won't sound so melodic on silicone

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2013, 2:27 pm
Nor can you noisily sling around silcone pans to express displeasure, nor can you bean a home invader on the noggin with a heavy silicone pan.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry