Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help Me Learn to Like Vacuuming

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:01 am
Do any of you enjoy vacuuming your home?

I want to. I really want to.

Because right now it is my least favorite balabuste job...

I think about how I am doing it L'sham L'mitzvah L'Kovod Shabbos. That helps a bit.

But there is so much about it that bothers me: the loud noise, the hot dry air shooting out the back, the canister banging into my ankles and bashing against the walls, the cord getting tangled around furniture, having to bend down a million times to pick up and move things that are on the floor...

So here's what I have realized. My learned to dislike vacuuming because growing up, my parents disliked it, and it was so stressful and uncomfortable to be around when vacuuming was going on.

However, there are other cleaning things that I actually find quite pleasant, for the same reason. I have great childhood memories of going to the laundromat with my dad, and now I like going to the laundromat. I like the smell of the detergents, the whooshing, sudsing sounds of the washers, I love watching the clothes toss around in the soapy water, etc.

So there must be SOMEONE out there that likes vacuuming. I know this is a strange idea, but could you please share with me what you enjoy about it?

I really want to have positive associations with it. Especially so that my kids can grow up with an Ima that cleans the house B'simcha for Shabbos.

Thanks!

rising hero

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:08 am
Time to check out the "splurge" thread. Seems like you need a roomba, the #1 item to splurge on...

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:42 am
lol..

I actually used to have one. It was fun, but definitely didn't do a thorough enough job. Nice as a pet though...

perquacky

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:45 am
Get a bagless upright vac. No canister to trip you up. And I find it somewhat satisfying to be able to see the dust and dirt it picks up. It's shocking and bit disgusting, but it makes me happy to see that I'm getting results.

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:50 am
perquacky wrote:
Get a bagless upright vac. No canister to trip you up. And I find it somewhat satisfying to be able to see the dust and dirt it picks up. It's shocking and bit disgusting, but it makes me happy to see that I'm getting results.

Yeah, I think I could find that satisfying too. Like watching the dirty mop water go down the drain. Oddly satisfying...

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 11:15 am
I love the way you describe the laundromat Drunken Smile

but you have to know - you won't learn to like anything you don't like ... tolerate maybe - or just ignore the chore [as I do]

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 11:17 am
Ditch the vacuum and buy yourself a nice, silent, space-saving, energy-efficient, no-carbon-footprint, safe-for-children-and-pets horsehair BROOM plus a small whisk broom for cleaning out corners.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 11:18 am
Howsabout a barter? Find a neighbor who hates laundry and enjoys vacuuming, and trade chores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry