Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What do you do with garbage food?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:00 pm
common scenerio in my kitchen:
theres a basically empty salad bowl with some veggies still on the bottom. or a cholent bowl with leftober cholent that we arent gonna eat. or soup with chicken bones & skin and possibly a couple pieces of onion or carrot floating around....

dh: ill go toss that down the toilet.
me: how about putting it in the garbage like most people.
dh: then our garbage will smell
me: so then we can take it out during the week instead of only erev shabbos.
dh: but the bag will be half empty and thats a waste
me: that may be but I cant imagine sending such gunk down the toilet is good for the pipes.
dh: its no worse then what usually goes down.
me: I guess I hear that about the soft stuff, but chicken bones???
dh: well to bad im tossing it.

he used to push such stuff down the drain of the sink till I explained to him that even tho thats a great idea at his parents house.... we dont have a disposal and will have pipe issues from that.

truthfully our garbage doesnt smell generally so were fine with taking it out only erev shabbos. we dont put much in, dont use disposables etc.

but is flushing gross stuff down the toilet acceptable? normal? done?

he also pours down oil from when I fry things. I hate it cause it leaves a mess in the toilet... but at least its liquid and not solids pieces!!!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:06 pm
Never heard of putting actual food in the toilet, although I do know someone who pours out the thick chicken sauce from the pan into the toilet because she doesn't want it to clog her sink.

I say just put it in the garbage and take the garbage out every night. It's pretty gross to leave the garbage around that long anyway.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:09 pm
toilet pipes clog inasmuch as sink pipes ... do not throw oily garbage down any of them

as for bones - you've got to be kidding - how on earth are you surviving without a live-in plumber

amother

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:15 pm
Get a smaller trash cans with smaller bags and take it out regularly instead of once a week. OR just toss what little food garbage you have into small plastic grocery bag and put it out right away, leaving your kitchen garbage for non-food/ non-smelly stuff.

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:17 pm
greenfire wrote:
toilet pipes clog inasmuch as sink pipes ... do not throw o8ily garbage down any of them

as for bones - you've got to be kidding - how on earth are you surviving without a live-in plumber

Kitchen sink pipes are generally an inch and half to two inches. Toilet pipes are two to four inches. They don't clog as much as kitchen pipes. I wouldn't throw bones down the toilet, but DH regularly throws down things like chulent.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:19 pm
well I usually get the pot away from him and let the water don the sink and put the bones in the garbage... but a few times he took care of it before I did....
and our garbage isnt always full come erev shabbos.... and even when its full its not overfull or anything-just close to the top vs half empty. daily garbage wld be a real waste of a bag (aka money) that we both agree with. b"h we havent had to many plumbing issues. at all. but they cld be waiting to happen. I think so

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:23 pm
I thought all cities did composting now. Scratching Head

We keep a "slop bucket" in the freezer, which is basically a soup pot we bought at a thrift store. All kinds of food scraps go in there (no fruit flies or smell that way). When it gets full I just take it out to the yard waste bin and dump it in there. You just have to give the bucket a few minutes to thaw so that everything will come out and not get stuck. I don't even bother rinsing the bucket, I just stick it back in the freezer.

Easy, clean, and good for the environment! (Extra bonus, it keeps critters from raiding your garbage cans, because all the tasty stuff is in a separate recycling bin that is critter proof.)

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:40 pm
Squishy wrote:
greenfire wrote:
toilet pipes clog inasmuch as sink pipes ... do not throw o8ily garbage down any of them

Kitchen sink pipes are generally an inch and half to two inches. Toilet pipes are two to four inches. They don't clog as much as kitchen pipes. I wouldn't throw bones down the toilet, but DH regularly throws down things like chulent.

then you've never clearly snaked your sewer drain pipes ... because oily residue sticks to the walls - having nothing to do with their circumference

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:52 pm
If you get any Chanukah gelt, buy yourselves a garbage disposal for your kitchen sink.

aleza

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:55 pm
My plumber would be SOOOO mad at me if we did that!

I agree with a lot that's been suggested... You should be taking your garbage out more frequently than once a week... You can use the supermarket shopping bags which are free. Or buy smaller trash bags (wastebasket size, not kitchen size). If you do have to pay for bags that are not completely full when you throw them out, tell your husband that HYGIENE trumps cost. (Or tell him to consider the cost of RotoRooter.)

I also know someone who literally freezes her smelly garbage 'til trash day.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 10:55 pm
OP, are you in a house or an apartment?

Either way, if the pipes get messed up and it gets traced back to your family, you are going to be stuck with the repair bills, and it won't be pretty. The insurance will not cover things like that.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 11:19 pm
thanks peeps!
smaller bags sounds like a good idea. tho dh isnt to into having to go to the dumpster more times a week. (to bad
I say) garbage disposal would be nice to (more like from our tax refund then chanuka gelt tho...) but it would be a big expense to get all the nec wiring etc.
we live in an apt. dh doesnt do this THAT often cause we dont usually have much food leftovers. its usually only an issue after shabbos and then I try to take care of those things without him. but when he comes to help.....
ff, dhs dream is a composit pile but wed have to have our own backyard first.... our city doesnt even require recycling. due to our living in an apt and having private garbage pickup for the big dumpsters we dont even have a place to recycle.... unless we would bring it down to the center and thn we would have to pay too.... so composite collections they for sure dont have.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
thanks peeps!
smaller bags sounds like a good idea. tho dh isnt to into having to go to the dumpster more times a week. (to bad
I say) garbage disposal would be nice to (more like from our tax refund then chanuka gelt tho...) but it would be a big expense to get all the nec wiring etc.
we live in an apt. dh doesnt do this THAT often cause we dont usually have much food leftovers. its usually only an issue after shabbos and then I try to take care of those things without him. but when he comes to help.....
ff, dhs dream is a composit pile but wed have to have our own backyard first.... our city doesnt even require recycling. due to our living in an apt and having private garbage pickup for the big dumpsters we dont even have a place to recycle.... unless we would bring it down to the center and thn we would have to pay too.... so composite collections they for sure dont have.

OK, that makes sense. DH leaves the house more than once a week, right? Hand him the garbage when he's heading out the door. Wink

amother

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 11:36 pm
I told dh the idea to use smaller bags or use shopping bags for food garbage.... and he says that aside from the bones owhich ok we can pick out and put in garbage) why is remenants of salad, cholent, soup etc different then stool in terms of the plumbing.... he thinks that once it gets past the toilets pipe the pipes are only wider so less likely to clog. (and he has to check into the oil coating inside of pipes thing)

amother

Post Tue, Nov 26 2013, 11:49 pm
I thought we were the only ones with this problem Smile

We hardly throw any food down the toilet. Kitchen garbage bag gets taken out whenever its full, sometimes thats once a week sometimes once a month. No perishable food goes in the garbage can. Only things like paper, plastic, container from cookies etc. (we dont use disposables). All food garbage goes into a shopping bag (liquidy stuff gets double wrapped). These shopping bags come free every time we go shopping. DH takes it out every night. The dumpster is right outside the building on the way to the car so it really is no big deal.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 12:05 am
I know this is in the uk - however, it's the perfect picture of what happens in your pipes

deena19k

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 12:09 am
Are we the only ones who take out our garbage daily? Yes, garbage bags cost money, but not as much as fixing a clogged toilet would.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 12:11 am
We had a bathroom flood a couple of weeks ago. The toilet overflowed and the water dripped down through the ceiling to the floor underneath. It was a really annoying mess to clean up. The culprit was an apple core that someone had flushed rather than walking down a flight of stairs to throw away in the kitchen garbage.

If your husband is too lazy to take small bags of garbage out to the dumpster, either you should do it yourself or you should double bag the food garbage and put it in the regular garbage. It won't smell as much that way. But flushing food down the toilet is asking for trouble. It will catch up with you eventually, and it will likely be way more expensive to fix than the cost of a few extra garbage bags.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 12:18 am
op again,
so by us the dumpster is not at all on the way to the car. its totally out of the way basically. I mean it would take but an extra minute.... but its not no big deal. we take the garbage out every erev shabbos no matter what but I like the idea of food going into its own bag vs the toilet. I told him its just not the same as things that are meant to go down the toilet and he was like how? (talking cholent, small pieces of lettuce, soft soup veggies not hard big things like apple cores.)
we use shopping bags for diapers and that gets taken out every day or two (kids out of the house 9-5+ so dont always have a dirty diaper in the bag else would be every day like on weekends)
thanks again oand green I cant see pic. on my phone but will check on comp later)

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Nov 27 2013, 12:55 am
Anything solid goes in the trash. Anything liquidy goes in the toilet. I just cleaned out the fridge from last shabbos leftovers, and I dumped matbucha and cole slaw in the toilet. I spray in some toilet cleaner right afterward and then flush, and there is no oily residue in the bowl. If there's a mixture of hard solids and liquids, I usually strain out the liquids and toss the solids.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry