Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do you wash those school uniforms so they last??

Ashrei

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:18 am
I bought my daughter 2 uniforms (she's wearing the jumpers), and they are both already linty and faded.

I'm not so laundry savvy, and I was wondering if someone could provide detailed instructions on the best way to wash these uniforms. By hand? What detergent? How does one wash something by hand anyway, besides just swishing it around? I guess rubbing the fabric together would damage it, no? Line dry?

Looking forward to your advice.

tweety1

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:23 am
I wash mine in reg cycle reg detergent cold water only. Lasts to pass down to next daughter

asp40

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:29 am
My kids' uniforms are form Fraylichs in Brooklyn. They have 3 skirts each and they have had the same ones for all of last year and this year. They are in perfect condition. I wash on cold (I wash everything on cold) and I hang dry over the railing or wherever. Great quality.

anon for this

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:33 am
My daughters wear skirts, not jumpers. I wash them on cold, using regular detergent. Skirts go into the dryer for a couple of minutes, then I line dry them. I line dry most outerwear, except for boys' everyday pants. I find that this helps clothing last longer and keeps any stains I missed from setting.

The skirts usually last over a year this way. I send them to the dry cleaner to have the pleats pressed every few months.

zigi

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:35 am
I ruined a skirt, it wound up in the dryer by accident. I wash cold and then hang to dry, press the pleats with your fingers for better pleats.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:36 am
don't wash them with anything else ... just the skirts/jumpers alone in the machine ... use a delicate cycle and liquid detergent ... you can dry them for 5 minutes or hang dry them ... I've never had a problem

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:37 am
Wash in cold water, hang up immediately. Some people put it in the drying for 2 minutes.
Then iron shirts, and once in a while iron pleats in skirt to keep them sharp.

My mother taught me how to do this when I was 9 so that she wouldn't have to. It was this great privilege, to use the grown up dangerous hot iron.

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:42 am
I know you're not my daughter ... cause she's right here ... but I too taught my daughter to iron in pleats ... she loves learning things

we always wanted to take everybody's uniforms home just to iron in the pleats ...

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:44 am
greenfire wrote:
I know you're not my daughter ... cause she's right here ... but I too taught my daughter to iron in pleats ... she loves learning things

we always wanted to take everybody's uniforms home just to iron in the pleats ...

lol

Also, I forgot to mention starch, it keeps them crisp and new looking over time.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 12:00 pm
I have no idea where your uniforms are from.

Ours are manufactured from Fraylach. The plaid ones are stiffer, the plain ones are a much lighter weight polyester.
Both do excellently washed on cold and line dried. There is a drop of pilling on the lighter weight jumpers, but all of ours were used when we got them.

Every once in a while I'll make sure to dry the jumpers with a clothespin to close the pleat or iron them. Maybe twice in the school year thus far have I done this.

Oh, also I use biokleen free and clear detergent which may have fewer enzymes than others, I don't know.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 2:07 pm
OP here:

I've been washing it on cold, regular, no drier. I'll start cold, delicate, drier for 5 minutes - although I don't think it'll fix it, it'll keep it from getting worse.

But for the future, do you think I need to buy the uniforms elsewhere?
The label on the uniform says "Betty Z..." ?

I bought it from Freund's, what could be bad?

Is Fraylach a store or a brand?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 2:28 pm
Ashrei wrote:
OP here:

I've been washing it on cold, regular, no drier. I'll start cold, delicate, drier for 5 minutes - although I don't think it'll fix it, it'll keep it from getting worse.

But for the future, do you think I need to buy the uniforms elsewhere?
The label on the uniform says "Betty Z..." ?

I bought it from Freund's, what could be bad?

Is Fraylach a store or a brand?

I always got form Freilich or Engelic, they're both stores.

Doesn't matter about the label. Can you teach your daughter to iron?

Also, what Hashem Yaazor said.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:06 pm
Betty Z is Fraylach from what I was told.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:16 pm
My Betty Z uniforms wash beautifully. Funny, I thought my dd was the only one that loves ironing--she begs me every Sunday to wash already so she can iron Very Happy.

I bleach the shirts and hang dry. I touch them up with an iron on the sleeve especially, for the crease.

Jumpers and skirts I wash on warm or cold, dryer 10-15 minutes to get them dry, then hang up. Touch up pleats with an iron-some every week, some not.

I'm going to try the clothespin trick one day.

imeinu

Post Tue, Dec 17 2013, 10:51 pm
I wash my daughters uniform on the quick wash cycle on my front loader. The uniforms don't get really dirty (like boys pants!!) so I find that that wash which is 18 minutes total is gentle but gets them fresh. (its also great when you realize really late at night that the uniform for the next day is dirty!)
then I hang to dry.

all of you who taught your girls to iron, how old were they when they learned?

Ashrei

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 9:53 am
OP here. After reviewing this thread, I'm convinced my washer must be broken. I don't do anything so different from everyone else, but for some reason, the uniforms have gotten pilly after a few months.

I've had other sweaters, new, which would come out pilly. I always blamed shotty sweater manufacturing, but now I'm thinking it's the washer. It's a top loading one.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:06 am
Does it have an agitator?

I use a front loader without one.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Dec 18 2013, 11:13 am
I forgot to add that everything is washed inside out. Washing the right side out will cause pilling in sweaters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry