Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Where do you buy olive oil at a good price and which one

lk1234

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:05 pm
I've used bertolli, but it is so expensive. Is there a cheaper olive oil and wehre do you buy it if you use olive oil frequently?

oliveoil

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:16 pm
Fine, I'll go on sale...

Maya

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:25 pm
http://olivebrooklyn.com/index...../home

I don't know how they compare in price to other brands.

anuta

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:36 pm
I buy at Costco or at Trader Joes. It is about $8 per liter at trader joes. We only buy extra virgin and use it for salads and dipping, not cooking so much.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:36 pm
Filippo Berio at Costco. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than buying small bottles.

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:38 pm
Maya wrote:
http://olivebrooklyn.com/index.php?route=common/home

I don't know how they compare in price to other brands.

What a cool shop! Do you know if their products are Kosher certified?

Last edited by Lady Godiva on Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

dr. pepper

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 1:40 pm
I'm not a maven on quality or prices for that matter. (I just assume the store brands are cheaper. )
I usually get the shoprite brand.

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 2:05 pm
cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil is always kosher - even without a hechsher ... therefore the quality will also be the same - regardless of brand

if you buy the 3 liter bottle it will be cheapest & anywhere from $12.99 to $16.99 depending on where you live & where you purchase same

chatouli

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 2:25 pm
I really like Fairway's extra virgin olive oil, which has an OU. It's about $10 for a pretty big bottle that lasts me two or three months, and I use a LOT of olive oil. I roast all my vegetables with olive oil in addition to using it for salad dressings and such.

oohlala

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 4:07 pm
shop rite extra virgin

naomi2

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 5:43 pm
zeta -yummy!

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 5:45 pm
I buy the Frum brands, Gefen or Glicks. They are usually the cheapest in my grocery store, but I'm in NY (Frum brands are typically more expesive OOT).

alte mamme

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 8:47 pm
Actually, I believe that quality can vary widely among oils labeled extra virgin. Some of it is even deceptively labeled and it's not really extra virgin.

I read somewhere that you can put a little bit in a container in the fridge overnight and you know it's really extra virgin if it has crystallized by morning.

I like Trader Joe's Spanish olive oil, which is about $7 for the liter. I think it actually has a nicer flavor than Trader Joe's other extra virgin oil. And it passed the fridge test. Smile

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 9:35 pm
you have to read your labels ...

alte mamme

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 10:16 pm
It takes more than just reading the label on this one.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business.....60276

mommyshani

Post Wed, Dec 25 2013, 11:23 pm
Costco brand (Kirkland Signature) is pretty cheap and works. My dh ran out of olive oil at the end of Chanuka and used some of what I had in the kitchen.

dollhouse

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 6:33 pm
alte mamme wrote:
It takes more than just reading the label on this one.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business.....60276

yes! absolutely right! There was an expose on this in the NY Times a while back, which lead to a book

http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Vi.....alous

So it's REALLY difficult to obtain olive oil that isn't adulterated. Essentially, you have to buy from a brand you trust (which is usually a smaller, family-owned operation that is expensive). But, seems like the Eidah Hachareidis has a much more strict kashrus policy that makes it very likely that if your olive oil has their hechsher it is probably legit.

http://www.yeshiva.co/midrash/.....15334

"I then contacted the Eidah Hachareidis, which provides supervision on cold press olive oil from both Spain and Israel, and informed me that for Pesach production they require a mashgiach present at the plant from the time of the pressing through the bottling and for non-Pesach production they require a mashgiach to visit the plant frequently during the course of the production. All this is to guarantee that the product indeed has no kashrus concerns. The Eidah Hachareidis representative who oversees their overseas olive oil supervisions told me that they have seen many instances of companies adulterating their oil, or having in stock ingredients that could be used to adulterate oil. It is the Eidah Hachareidis policy not to provide any supervision to any company once they have indication that they might occasionally adulterate product.

My thoughts after this conversation were that this information is highly useful not only from a kashrus perspective, but also from the perspective of someone purchasing extra virgin or virgin olive oil who wants a guarantee that they are getting the health benefits they are paying for."

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 30 2013, 6:41 pm
My local supermarket often has sales. I compare which brand has the lowest price per oz at the time that I'm shopping, and usually buy that one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus