Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
No treats during the week

wispalover

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 5:03 am
Not sure if this should be here or healthy cooking, but we have implemented a change starting this week of only having treats on Shabbat. It is really difficult.

Does anyone have any great kid-friendly snacks that they use to get through the week (not looking for ideas of pretzels/ anything even remotely junky because we cannot seem to stop at a "handful" of certain things)?

What kind of lunches do you have it you WFH or are a SAHM?

Thanks!

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 5:27 am
For lunch, I usually take dinner leftovers, soup (like lentil or split pea) or a big hearty salad. I like to eat, so I need something that will take a while to eat.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 6:31 am
Regarding the healthier snacks that are closer to junk food (pretzels, homemade popcorn, apple chips)-
Prepare a week's worth of portions in sandwich bags. That way you can limit the serving size.

SS6099

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 6:41 am
For healthy snacks by us I bake low fat muffins with ww flour, or popcorn in individual bags. Check out overtimecook.com for some food muffin recipes- they're tried and tested and delicious!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:25 am
I've made delicious ww flour muffins using zucchini, carrots or pumpkin. However, when I did a calorie count, they each came out to 250-300 calories for small muffins! Way too much for a dietetic treat.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:48 am
muffins are not low calorie!

The word "muffin" makes people think that it's a healthy choice but it is really a cup cake (without frosting).

Here's an interesting salad recipe mix:

3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup olives (cut up)
1/4 of a large tomato (cup up)
1/2 red pepper (cut up)
1 snack size bags of ketchup flavored "flutes" broken into pieces (in the chips section of a Jewish grocery - it's 60 calories a bag)

mix all ingredients together in a very large plate or bowl. If you skip the olives sprinkle a drop of salt on the tomatoes and peppers.

Drink a large cup of cold water with this.

you will feel satisfied!

Still hungry? Eat a banana or apple.

Make a hot coffee or tea with splenda. When you eat/drink sowly you will realize that you are full.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
muffins are not low calorie!

The word "muffin" makes people think that it's a healthy choice but it is really a cup cake (without frosting).

Here's an interesting salad recipe mix:

3/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup olives (cut up)
1/4 of a large tomato (cup up)
1/2 red pepper (cut up)
1 snack size bags of ketchup flavored "flutes" broken into pieces (in the chips section of a Jewish grocery - it's 60 calories a bag)

mix all ingredients together in a very large plate or bowl. If you skip the olives sprinkle a drop of salt on the tomatoes and peppers.

Drink a large cup of cold water with this.

you will feel satisfied!

Still hungry? Eat a banana or apple.

Make a hot coffee or tea with splenda. When you eat/drink sowly you will realize that you are full.

This is not healthy. It is loaded with salt and disgusting.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 10:55 am
wispalover wrote:
Not sure if this should be here or healthy cooking, but we have implemented a change starting this week of only having treats on Shabbat. It is really difficult.

You need to define treat. As compared to a snack.

wispalover

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 11:30 am
chocolate moose wrote:
You need to define treat. As compared to a snack.

Treats= junk food. Cookies, pretzels, chocolate, chips, wafers, nosh..

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:40 pm
Not everyone agrees that pretzels are junk/treats.

UQT

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:41 pm
I cut up a cantaloupe for myself and carefully measured out a portion. My kids came and ate most of it!

SJcookie

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:54 pm
Dried fruit, oatmeal with cinnamon & craisins, fruit leather, low fat yogurt (you can freeze it & then it is somewhat similar to ice cream), diet jello, apples or carrot sticks w/ natural peanut butter, canned fruit in light syrup or natural juice, fresh fruit with cottage cheese, sweet potato chips (cut up sweet potato slices very thin, put some cooking spray & spices, and bake 'em on a baking sheet for around 20 min or until crisp), edamame beans.

And my favorite...
wrap washed whole apples in foil (I like to add some cinnamon, nuts/craisins, & hot on top) & stick 'em in the oven until baked (approx 30 min).

beebird

Post Wed, Jan 29 2014, 11:33 am
My little guys think sliced apple with no-additive peanut butter is a treat. (Shhhhhh. Don't tell them Very Happy )

Devorah

(I'm new to Imamother, so if I do something that's not according to ettiquette, please tell me.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise