Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Asian costume for 2 year old girl, baby boy and us
1  2  3  Next

Eishes Chaim

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:52 am
Hi,
I'm looking for ideas as to how I can dress my kids , and coordinate mishloach manos. Was thinking of dressing Chinese, but can't find any kimono robes for a decent price. (DH and I would to match as well if possible). As for the mishloach manos, I was thinking of doing sushi, with sauces... And breadsticks for chop sticks.

And now for the question;
Where can I find some Asian looking robes/ clothing to fit us all?
Additionally, I am open to hearing other creative ideas.

Last edited by Eishes Chaim on Mon, Jan 20 2014, 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:56 am
In case you care about authenticity, sushi is Japanese, not Chinese.

Eishes Chaim

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 9:59 am
I know, I originally wrote dress up as an Asian, (since they make these robes for Chinese, Japanese, and Thai.) but for clarity purposes I chose one.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:37 pm
Is the 2 year old a boy or girl?

I've always wanted to do a "Very Hungry Caterpillar" theme with a baby dressed as a caterpillar and a bigger kid dressed as a butterfly. The food could be anything mentioned in the book, which leaves lots of options.

Eishes Chaim

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:57 pm
I love that idea! How can I incorporate DH and myself into the picture?

mummy123

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 3:31 pm
Last year my boys were similar ages. My oldest was a policeman, the baby was a bag of swag and my husband and I were robbers. I made the costumes so it worked out relatively cheap.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 3:43 pm
My dh and ds were firemen and my dd was a baby Dalmatian...
It was adorable

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:00 pm
Another comment on authenticity: kimono is Japanese. Traditional Chinese dresses for men are two-piece (often satin but more realistically polyester) jacket/trousers combo called chanpao. There's also a similar two-piece combo worn in Korea. This would be a good time to check Korean shopping malls or China town because of the upcoming Chinese new year.

Eishes Chaim

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:26 pm
Any online stores that sell them for cheap?

cbg

Post Tue, Jan 21 2014, 6:31 pm
Go on ebay and look for chinese pajamas. Jacket and pants in a silky polyester material. They shouldn't be too expensive.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:00 pm
So we have one Asian costume (basically a Kimono for a little girl) and would like to get related costumes for the rest of the family (multiple age kids and parents). The responses mentioned above - say just look on the internet - but can anyone direct me to specifics that are really cheap. I will need to buy quite a few based on the size of my family, so I would appreciate direct links that are under $10 each (or cheaper if possible).

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:
So we have one Asian costume (basically a Kimono for a little girl) and would like to get related costumes for the rest of the family (multiple age kids and parents). The responses mentioned above - say just look on the internet - but can anyone direct me to specifics that are really cheap. I will need to buy quite a few based on the size of my family, so I would appreciate direct links that are under $10 each (or cheaper if possible).

If you're OP what did you end up doing in 5774?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:09 pm
I am not OP - just bumping it up because I am asking basically the same question.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:09 pm
Sigh, can't the Purim topics stay at rest for a little while longer?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:18 pm
The reason Purim is specifically popping up now is because Halloween is this week so costumes are going to be on sale.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
I am not OP - just bumping it up because I am asking basically the same question.

how would you feel if a group of people dressed up as hasidic jews for halloween?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:21 pm
vintage, I was waiting for that one Wink

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
vintage, I was waiting for that one Wink

I was surprised I was the first to say so... (no, not really. sadly.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:27 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I was surprised I was the first to say so... (no, not really. sadly.)

If there are Asian costumes for sale, then it's possible it's PC to dress up Asian.
I'm curious: do Asians get as offended as say, Native Americans do? (Assuming Native Americans do; and if they do I get it.)

mommyla

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:31 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
how would you feel if a group of people dressed up as hasidic jews for halloween?

They do! And that's fine, as long as they're not offensive costumes.

I don't get why people get all bent out of shape on these ethnic costumes. As long as they're not totally off-base or insulting, who cares?

(Ducking tomatoes)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics