Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Preparing my kids to move to USA-ENLISH games preparation

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 8:41 am
I live in Israel and want to prepare my 6 and 8 year old to move back to the States. My 8 year old is on a first grade reading level and my 6 year old doesn't even know the ABCs.

Have you ever used any of these games? I send them for tutoring but I have no patience in the house to teach them but I am happy to play games with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Sight-Wo....._pb_i

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....GKOW8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....X0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....FTRQH

Any other recommendations? Games or websites for books I can oreder?
TIA

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:16 am
The sight words bingo type games look pretty boring to me. Better to engage them with things that don't feel as much like work but sneak language in. I'll try to come back with more specific suggestions later, I just don't have much time now.

Are you looking specifically for alphabet/reading, or for language in general?

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:26 am
Looking for reading/spelling/writing...
(DH and I Americans, English was their first language, speak well-can use enrichment, but right now want to focus on reading and writing)
THanks.

momX4

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:30 am
there are videos WORD WORLD. my kids loved to wantch ot and picked up the ABC's

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:37 am
Starfall.com
Free on line phonics games
I'm sure there are others

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:40 am
cbg wrote:
Starfall.com
Free on line phonics games
I'm sure there are others

Oops they use to be free. Now it's apps, but I think some are for free.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:42 am
Super Why is a fun show for the six year old to pick stuff up. They have episodes on YouTube and Amazon.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:44 am
You can also do bananagrams- the older one can play for real, and you can make up a different version for the younger one.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:46 am
Thanks for your replies.
I prefer not to use the computer to teach them, any ideas of print outs/books/games.
I also prefer to sit with them and spend the time with them in a non stressed way.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:51 am
You can spray shaving cream all over the table and use your fingers to write letters and words. Go outside and find twigs, and use them to create letters and words. Build letters and words out of lego or clics.

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:52 am
There is also reading upgrade. You can sign up for a free trial.
Readingupgrade.com
I have used this with illiterate older students and adults. It's great. I also used math upgrade.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:54 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
You can spray shaving cream all over the table and use your fingers to write letters and words. Go outside and find twigs, and use them to create letters and words. Build letters and words out of lego or clics.

sounds fun for extra fun time!
But looking for something to do more on daily basis that will guide me with site words etc.

Also which books besides Dr. Seuss are good to start reading.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:21 am
BOB books and "Now I'm Reading" are both great for confidence and practice. If you want something more formal, I really like Alpha Phonics (goes to about a 2nd - 3rd grade level I'd say) and the Explode the Code series (workbooks, phonics)

Isramom8

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 1:02 pm
Explode the Code is fantastic. Progresses the kids in a smooth way and is full of humor. My kids are using the series independently in their Anglit classes (the rest of the class is on a lower level). I go over their work with them at home.

From the levels you say your kids are on, your 8 year old would start with Explode the Code 1 or 2. Your 6 year old would start with the very first book, Get Ready for the Code.

You can order the books from
Book Depository for 33 shekel and change, delivery included. They take about two weeks to be mailed to Israel.

I have read that on average, it's two books per grade, I.e. Explode the Code 1 and 2 should be completed by the end of first grade, Explode the Code 3 and 4 should be completed by the end of second grade, etc.

Great idea to try to catch your kids up in a non-stressful way. Even a few minutes a day helps if it's consistent. I know a family who didn't do anything to prepare their 6 year old for moving to the US, and she ended up repeating first grade after a year there. What grades are your kids in now? Are you going to start them a year behind their age group or move them along to the next grades?

heightsmom

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 8:25 am
Explode The Code is a wonderful program. However, it is geared to students who are having difficulty learning to read. It is skilled based and as such it is not grade specific. Short vowels are stressed in Books 1 and 2. Long vowels in later books. All short and long vowels should be mastered by the end of first grade.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 10:37 am
heightsmom wrote:
Explode The Code is a wonderful program. However, it is geared to students who are having difficulty learning to read. It is skilled based and as such it is not grade specific. Short vowels are stressed in Books 1 and 2. Long vowels in later books. All short and long vowels should be mastered by the end of first grade.

Many use it as the default, not just for kids having difficulty. Who cares what it was created for; the point is that it works! I know schools and homeschoolers that use it as their base curriculum for kindergarten.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 10:58 am
I find that for my Israeli kids who are less exposed to English reading in their daily lives, Explode the Code moves them along quickly and without stress. I'm using the series basically as a homeschooling thing (which they work on in school instead of the English their classmates are learning).

amother

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 11:23 am
Thanks for your help so far...keep em coming!

So my 8 yr old knows short and long vowels. But so many sight words missing...also reading comprehension big issue. He knows the rules of short and long vowels but e/t else is slow...
HE is January so I think will put him to 3rd.
My 6 yr old to first but doesn't even have any exposure...doesn't even know ABC song.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 11:33 am
I remember distinctly being tested for reading groups at the beginning of 3rd grade. Kids who could read the sample fluently were in the high reading group, average readers were in the middle group and poor readers were in the low group.

I don't know what the standards are today, but this was the sample:

"Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?' "

Might give you an idea about placement.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics