Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Is it safe to shop at Target?

runninglate

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 1:39 pm
I never shopped much at Target, so I didn't really keep up with the whole story? Would you be comfortable placing an online order with them?

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 23 2014, 1:41 pm
I'm assuming they already caught the thieves ... use a credit card rather than a debit card so it can be disputed should there be issues ...

runninglate

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 12:33 pm
Anyone else?

smss

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 12:36 pm
greenfire wrote:
I'm assuming they already caught the thieves ... use a credit card rather than a debit card so it can be disputed should there be issues ...

I have a debit card and when it was stolen online, we disputed the charges and got all the money back. why would it be any different than a credit card as far as that?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 1:34 pm
I was just there yesterday...

AIUI, Target was hacked sometime at the end of last year and credit/debit card information was stolen. They have since strengthened their computer security, although that is obviously not a guarantee that it won't happen again. They gave any customer who could potentially be affected by the hack (including yours truly) a year of free credit monitoring to help spot any problems with identity theft.

I don't think that shopping at Target (in store or online) at this point is any more or less safer than any other retail establishment.

IMHopinion

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 1:48 pm
I shopped at Target throughout their whole fraud story.
CC shopping is never 100 percent safe, anywhere.

momX4

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 1:49 pm
They have cans of coke on sale. 5 boxes of 12 for $11.

Almost set for purim.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 1:58 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I was just there yesterday...

AIUI, Target was hacked sometime at the end of last year and credit/debit card information was stolen. They have since strengthened their computer security, although that is obviously not a guarantee that it won't happen again. They gave any customer who could potentially be affected by the hack (including yours truly) a year of free credit monitoring to help spot any problems with identity theft.

I don't think that shopping at Target (in store or online) at this point is any more or less safer than any other retail establishment.

Anyone can get hacked.

The problem is that (1) Target's security was apparently practically non-existent; (2) they didn't even notice that all the information had been stolen but, instead, had to be notified by the US government, which was tracking some hackers; and (3) even then, were not forthcoming about the extent of the information stolen.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 2:07 pm
Of course it's not safe to shop there. You walk in there thinking you're going to just get paper towels, and come out with $300 worth of kitchenware, bath towels and shower curtains! (or is that just me?)

Oh wait, you meant online. Tongue Out

bubbebia

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 2:15 pm
Use cash.

mommyla

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 2:18 pm
It wasn't a Target.com issue, by the way. It was the in-store data that was hacked. So placing an online order isn't at any higher risk...

And I do shop there, in-store and online. If anything, now their security is better!

yaeli83

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 2:39 pm
My bank noticed some fishy stuff going on from target and immediately closed my account and sent me a new bank card.

That being said, I shop there all the time, but I guess maybe I should be more careful and use a check or something...

m+m

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 2:43 pm
momX4 wrote:
They have cans of coke on sale. 5 boxes of 12 for $11.

Almost set for purim.

I just saw this and stocked up. Such a great price, especially before purim!

momx6

Post Mon, Feb 24 2014, 2:54 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Of course it's not safe to shop there. You walk in there thinking you're going to just get paper towels, and come out with $300 worth of kitchenware, bath towels and shower curtains! (or is that just me?)

Frantic frummie-you rock! You are right on the money! So true!

Catcher

Post Tue, Feb 25 2014, 6:05 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Rolling Laughter
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics