Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Organic Spinoff poll

Do you shop & eat 80% or more organic only?
I do  
 5%  [ 5 ]
Would love to but it is too expensive/ no availability  
 42%  [ 41 ]
Not I  
 28%  [ 27 ]
I think it is complete nonsense  
 23%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 96

thelioness

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 3:47 pm
Spinoff Poll
How many people here on imamother eat & shop 80-100% organic?

And do you know any people who do eat like that?

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 4:08 pm
I insist upon organic eggs and milk. the eggs, because I don't like that most unorganic chickens are tortured in factory farms. milk for similar reasons, and because the skim tastes like 1%.

I try to make organic choices whenever I shop. I don't go out of my way hunting for organic, because I know I can't afford it. but if it's a choice between two kinds of pasta, one organic and the other not, I'll choose the organic if the price difference is very small.

cbsmommy

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 5:23 pm
I cannot afford to eat all organic, otherwise we totally would! I stick to the more "dirty" dozen. Organic potatoes, organic apples, pears, berries, etc. I also aim for local produce whenever I can. We buy rbst and antibiotic fed free milk/dairy products.

chatouli

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:05 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I insist upon organic eggs and milk. the eggs, because I don't like that most unorganic chickens are tortured in factory farms. milk for similar reasons, and because the skim tastes like 1%.

I try to make organic choices whenever I shop. I don't go out of my way hunting for organic, because I know I can't afford it. but if it's a choice between two kinds of pasta, one organic and the other not, I'll choose the organic if the price difference is very small.

I shop the same way except I personally use skim plus (my child who can tolerate dairy drinks organic milk) and I can't buy organic eggs anymore because so many of them have blood spots that I end up tossing half a dozen each time I buy them Sad and we eat a LOT of eggs. It's so hard to buy mostly organic but when I can, I do. The taste and quality are superior and the pesticides in non-organic foods make me nervous. If I can't get organic fruit, I peel it (not even sure it makes such a difference).

ElTam

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:12 pm
I used to work in an office building that was up against strawberry fields. On the days when they would be spraying people in the building (and this was a closed building with air conditioning, no windows that opened) would have headaches, be sick to their stomachs etc. Scary to think what is on our food.

Like someone else said, I try to get organic for the things that have the most pesticides and also wash fruits and vegetables, even those things that don't require it for bug checking.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:14 pm
chatouli wrote:
I shop the same way except I personally use skim plus (my child who can tolerate dairy drinks organic milk) and I can't buy organic eggs anymore because so many of them have blood spots that I end up tossing half a dozen each time I buy them Sad and we eat a LOT of eggs. It's so hard to buy mostly organic but when I can, I do. The taste and quality are superior and the pesticides in non-organic foods make me nervous. If I can't get organic fruit, I peel it (not even sure it makes such a difference).

peeling it makes a difference, as does washing it in one of those fruit/veggie washes.

as for the blood spots, this is why I buy our organic eggs at costco: they're cheap, and I can throw away the ones with spots. (but this is a huge sore spot, no pun intended, with me. I love eggs, and b/c I'm a lacto/ovo vegetarian I get a whole lot of my protein from eggs. I just cannot eat anything that comes from a tortured animal. so I chuck a whole lot of eggs)

imasinger

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:21 pm
The choice between negatives of trace elements of pesticide vs. giving up the nutritional benefits of more fruits and veggies (budget stretches further, allows more to be bought) is a tough one.

After due reading and research, I opt for organic leafy veggies when it is easy, regular otherwise, and always washing produce carefully.

Kugglegirl

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:29 pm
I buy organic milk - we drink so much & I have girls too. I would buy RSBT or what ever free-- use to when I could get it-- better price to avoid the chemicals.

I buy organic chicken since I can't stand the taste of the chemicals in the regular chicken. Usually have to buy them by the case & where I am can only get whole chickens unless I get filet, which is way too expensive. -- I can manage to eat regular chicken if I mariante it so it covers up the chemical taste.

Fruits & veggies- only if I can & only if it's not too much more than the regular foods. Do watch out for the dirty dozen & buy strawberries & such infrequently.

In the summer we get good local veggies at farm stands. & grow maybe 10% of our summer veggies in a few spots in the yard.

Who knows. I think the for the fruits & veggies, it is probably heathier to eat fresh & lots of it than to eat more processed foods or canned foods. So that's what I try to lean to.

For the size of my family, it's not practical to try & buy organic everything.

Happy18

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 6:39 pm
Eggs and milk are a must. I try to do chicken as often as possible. Fruits and vegetable whatever is available at the local trader joes. Everything else I try to, if there is a choice I almost always go with organic, but I don't not eat foods because they are not organic.

morah

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:09 pm
I don't buy anything organic. It's a lot of money for little proven benefit. Also, at least in the US, the labeling standard is so lax as to be practically meaningless. I don't want to deal with all those bugs. Studies have shown the difference between organic produce and peeling/washing well is negligible. As it is, it's expensive to eat healthy food, a conventional apple is a thousand times better for you for than a bag of "organic apple snack". Oh yeah, I also hate how it has become a buzzword for healthy. So many people think organic potato chips are somehow healthy. Sorry, potato chips are garbage no matter what kind of potato is used.

Raw

Post Wed, Feb 26 2014, 7:39 pm
I buy 90% organic. It is a big priority for me do I'd rather buy less food that is (what I consider to be) better quality.

There are ways to make organic shopping more affordable. For example, organic strawberries are very expensive so I buy frozen organic strawberries instead to use for smoothies, compote etc.

Produce that has very little pesticide residue, such as avocados or mangos, don't need to be organic. I just wash them thoroughly and peel.

Dairy, eggs, chicken and meat need to be hormone/antibiotic free at least, but I try buy organic/grass fed as much as possible.

I buy very little processed food and make as much as I can in my own kitchen so at least I save some money that way.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 3:55 am
I could be the style to grow my own thing, should I live in a house with a garden.

Organic wise, I'll tell you what my reflexo teacher told us: some things are fake (like fake kashrus labels lehavdil), some things are fad, some things really benefit from being organic (honey, he mentionned), some don't. I don't remember the other items he mentionned, must be in my notes.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 1:47 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
peeling it makes a difference, as does washing it in one of those fruit/veggie washes.

as for the blood spots, this is why I buy our organic eggs at costco: they're cheap, and I can throw away the ones with spots. (but this is a huge sore spot, no pun intended, with me. I love eggs, and b/c I'm a lacto/ovo vegetarian I get a whole lot of my protein from eggs. I just cannot eat anything that comes from a tortured animal. so I chuck a whole lot of eggs)

I don't see how $6.99 for 24 eggs is cheap. (Size large) Especially if half have blood spots.

I heard it's legal to grow your own chickens in your backyard in New York. Maybe that's cheaper?

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 2:53 pm
Which vegi/fruit spray do you buy -
and does it work?

freidasima

Post Wed, Mar 26 2014, 3:31 pm
All my pasta, legumes, flour, soy milk, dried fruit are organic. My chicken is tevaof which is not organic but no antibiotics, fed naturally, free range, my strawberries are bio but I stopped buying organic fruit and veg as it is hard to find and I stick to those things which don't retain pesticides - thick skinned tangerines, mangos, avocado etc.

There is no organic cottage cheese unfortunately, as we rarely have milk it's not an issue. I do not buy organic eggs or organic challah. I rarely used prepared products or processed foods so that's not an issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen