Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Earliest time to knock on doors to deliver shalach manos?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 10:58 pm
On Purim morning what is the earliest time we can knock on peoples doors to deliver shalach manos? No idea if these people are morning people or not.

In case the answer is cultural, Im in the NY area.

Happy18

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 10:59 pm
I wouldn't start delivering before 10 just because I don't like to leave it at the door and people need to hear megillah. I've had friends leave on our doorstep at 6am, but they didn't ring the bell.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 11:25 pm
8am.

monseychick

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 11:31 pm
Halachically....6am , alois, when the day begins

Menslickit.....not before 9

MaBelleVie

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 11:33 pm
oliveoil wrote:
8am.

Oh my. Please don't.

Fabulous

Post Sat, Mar 08 2014, 11:39 pm
I would say even 10:30, people are at megilla or megilla is still going on on in their houses. But at least 10

busydev

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 12:01 am
I would say 10. if you have to go out earlier then suffice with a light knock, wait no more then a minute and then leave it on the doorstep.

acccdac

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 12:07 am
I would say 9.

that doesnt mean people will be home because of megilla but I dont see a problem with 9.

(I am using my phone calling rules here, I do not call someone before 9am during the week - unless otherwise told or its a close friend or my sister. On sundays I wait for 10am. However, it is purim and its a long day and people do start their day earlier due to having so much to accomplish in the day. Therefore I go with 9)

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 12:07 am
oliveoil wrote:
8am.

Unless you know for sure they they are early risers I think its rude to even call someone on the phone so early. For sure I wouldnt go knocking on doors at this time.

etky

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 12:21 am
This is a favorite gripe of mine. I live in a yishuv so many MM are delivered by kids on foot. They sometimes come to the door as early as 8:00 which I find really annoying. I go to an early reading and 8:00 is just when I'm getting back home and looking forward to a cup of coffee and bit of quiet before the insanity begins. What's the urgency? There's no need to disturb people at such an early hour.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 12:36 am
So our rav holds mishloachanot before the suda (at least the ones for the mitzvah) AND the main part of the sudah (washing, eating meat and drinking wine) needs to happen before hatzot.

Soooo at least two of ours are given pretty early but to people we are pretty sure are around.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 1:28 am
In my house I'd say at shul Shacharis time, because then there are likely some people home too, and the day has begun.

But it depends on the dynamic in people's homes and whether or not they are going to work. If there are just a few people and they are rushing to leave the house, the few minutes of disruption can be stressful.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 1:23 pm
Not at 8, not with the kids at home and all (and even then). Last time someone rung at 8 my dh bit his head off. Now if you just want to leave it on doorstep, go asa it's halachically ok !

oliveoil

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
Unless you know for sure they they are early risers I think its rude to even call someone on the phone so early. For sure I wouldnt go knocking on doors at this time.

People who are up at 8am are early risers? Most people are already on their way to school or work by then.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:28 pm
oliveoil wrote:
People who are up at 8am are early risers? Most people are already on their way to school or work by then.

Most people are not going to school or work on Purim, think of it as a weekend day. And I can tell you that we will definitely be up, but probably not in any shape to be answering the door.

busydev

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 10:38 pm
im up most days by 7 latest. but im not answer-doorable until closer to 9 most days. later on weekends

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 11:14 pm
Not before 10:30 at least. We go to megilla, eat breakfast, daven, clean up, get dressed in our costumes. Its annoying when kids come banging early on our door.

sky

Post Sun, Mar 09 2014, 11:14 pm
10:00 am. (maybe 9:30, but I think that may be too early)

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2014, 12:17 am
oliveoil wrote:
If you know the people and you know they are up before 8 then its perfectly ok to call at that hour. I dont have kids yet and dont have to be out of the house so early and I hate when the phone wakes me up at 8am.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2014, 11:17 am
thanks everyone! 10am it is!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette