Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Ideas for pesach gift for my mom whos working so hard

cs1

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:46 pm
Anyone have a good idea of what I can buy my mother for pesach?

I will be staying by my parents - were two adults and two babies, and we bring lots of extra work!! Of course we help out, but ttly not doing anywhere as much as my mom.

Last year I got my parents a digital picture player and they loved it.

This year I offered to pay for a cleaning lady for a few days but my parents are very proud ppl and refuse to take any money from me and said no. (They actually give us a few hundred dollars for pesach even though I beg them to keep it since we eat and sleep by them the whole time)

My sister is coming with 3 kids and she would like to chip in with me as well. Id like to spend about 150-200 and my sister will spend about $100.

we were thinking of getting her a gift certificate at a jewelry store since she doesnt have a lot of jewelry and recently lost two expensive prices.

I've gotten my parents so many gifts that im out of options. I've given them many many different types of picture gifts, from yearly family picture calendars, to a family tree on their dresser, different collages etc.
I've gotten her a fancy hand towel tray and lots of little towels etc.

I dont want to get something for pesach, I want to get something that can be used all year round - either something beautiful for the home or more specifically, something my mother will enjoy most.

Tia!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:55 pm
I just got my parents a subscription to the ami magazine for a year. It was $179 for the year and are now giving a bonus free pesach cookbook. There is also mishpacha, Bina, and the zman as well as yated and Hamodia. That is all year round and enjoyable for everyone.

d l

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 10:57 pm
My friend got her parents a new set of linen. You can send your mom a few options and have her choose the one she likes the best.
You sound like a thoughtful daughter!

ImNotAMother

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 11:13 pm
Perhaps she would enjoy an "experience" more than a gift. E.g. a package of 3 1-hour massages or a package of 5 mani-pedis or a Spa Day or something similarly relaxing.

paprika

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 11:19 pm
A professional vegetable chopper - great for salad making.

http://www.centralrestaurant.c......html

imasinger

Post Mon, Mar 24 2014, 11:35 pm
How about a necklace or bracelet with a birthstone for each grandchild?

cs1

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:22 am
Thanks for the responses!
A magazine is out. Were all big novel readers, not magazines. In any case, I always buy a few books for pesach for everyone to enjoy.

my mother also hates massages, mani pedi's.

Linen is a nice idea but my parents recently had a fire and got a new set.

The salad chopper is cute but my mother wont use it.

I guess jewelry is the only thing left?!

sky

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 10:33 am
What about new towels and dish towels for pesach. Or a nice new tablecloth.

Applekugel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:25 am
Pocket book, luggage set, silk flower arrangement

kollel wife

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:26 am
What would you like if you were working hard preparing for Yom Tov?

As a mother of a large family who makes Pesach, I'd say,
I'd love new tichels, a Shabbos robe, the expensive support stockings I wear that are no longer supportive because they're so old. For my husband shirts or a suit. Does she need more serving items for year-round or Pesach? Food processor or mixer? Things she'd enjoy that would also make her life easier. Maybe in addition to the gift, but can you send supper before Pesach, maybe something from the store, that she wouldn't treat herself too - pizza, sesame chicken, something the family could enjoy, a filling hot meal, which removes from her preparing a supper during such a hectic time.

Applekugel

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:27 am
Kindle, laptop, camera, watch, wall painting, gadol painting for study

bubbebia

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:32 am
How about going with your sibs and their families and having a professional family portrait done. Something like this would be even more meaningful than pretty much anything else. We did this for my ILs many years ago and it was one of the best gifts ever. They really appreciated that. Get it framed nicely.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 11:49 am
kollel wife wrote:

the expensive support stockings I wear that are no longer supportive because they're so old.

OT, which company do you wear, that they lose support before they tear. Mine are always torn before the support is lost.

kollel wife

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 1:54 pm
Sorry. I don't know what company. I got a bunch of pairs in the Freebay in lakewood from someone who was giving them away new, but it's a few years ago.
The heels are torn - sometimes there are tears in the upper section as well. But they are still wearable.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 3:15 pm
Luggage, with a pretend "ticket" for a date that they should come to you!

ImaMum

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 3:55 pm
Bread machine?

(For use after pesach obviously Wink )

Take ur mum shopping for a new dress/pair of shoes?

I like the jewellery idea too, good luck, u sound like a lovely daughter Very Happy

tropicalrainforest

Post Tue, Mar 25 2014, 4:08 pm
Here's what I have gotten my mom over the years for hosting .

Theatre/ concert tickets

Restaraunt gift certificate

Robe with a bunch of new shells that she needed replaced ( they were all exchangeable )

Cookbooks

One year I told my mother I was bringing all the paper goods for yom Tov . I brought the nice Yoshi ware that she would never splurge on . It enhanced everyone's chag .

Nice bottle of perfume

My personal favorite is the extra cleaning help , if you can figure out a way to have her accept it .

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 1:36 am
Do you live locally or do you have to travel to get to your parents for Pesach?

My mother is not so much into gifts, so I repay her kindness in hosting us by helping as much as possible. I go help her cook and bake, and I invite my parents to my house for Shabbos Hagadol and dinner the night of bedikas chametz so my mother can concentrate on getting ready for Pesach.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 9:02 am
As a hard working 24/7 Pesach working mom, all I appreciate most is the children's behavior, as well as the parents/siblings behavior over yom tov. Their help as much as possible, when possible. No gifts necessary.
I, too, give each of them Pesach money, to be used on chol hamoed outings or to buy the afikoman presents.

I really don't need or want anything, and always tell them so. A nice card/photo is always appreciated, but I am a very hard person to buy for---- as I really have everything BH. Also I have my own taste, and don't appreciate having to return anything. Most gifts I get are given away...

Pesach is a yom tov I look forward to. Yes, I work hard, standing on my feet and preparing endless amounts of food. But I enjoy being with my favorite people, my kids and grandchildren. Our time spent together is the best gift of all.

amother

Post Fri, Mar 28 2014, 9:21 am
We just chipped in with my siblings for a set of china for my mom. She never had pesach dishes and I'm sure she will really appreciate it. We bought a mikasa set for $200 for 8 piece place setting. Mom will probably buy herself the other 8 pieces bec 8 is barely enough..

Anon in case mom is reading this Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics