Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Toronto vs. NYC

adventuresOOT

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 11:54 am
When I was first married, I (stupidly) bought four sheitels (for the price of what most people would pay for one) from one of the more "discount" sheitel companies, thinking it would be so fun to have lots of options. Because I live way OOT, I bought them all online. Fast forward almost a year, and I only wear two of them on a regular basis, the hair quality is not natural, they're not cut to my face so the bangs are always driving me crazy, and the color is a weird red-brown that is not at all a match for my real hair.

IY"H, we will be traveling this summer through NY and Toronto. We'll be in the NY/NJ area for about a week or so, and then in Toronto for longer. So, I'm hoping to take advantage of this trip to get my sheitels fixed to a point where they're not embarrassing me on a daily basis, and maybe also to buy a new sheitel. Some questions for those of you who are in the know...

1. Who would you recommend, in either of these cities, who can dye and cut sheitels? Cost?

2. How long is the turn around? Is this something I could get done in a few days?

3. Where would you recommend buying a new sheitel? I would like to spend about $1500, I think. Which city and which brand?

4. Is the MOPS sheitel consignment still active in Toronto? Is that worthwhile, and would I be able to find something good (big enough selection) for less? I'd also like to consign two of my four sheitels to them because I just don't wear them at all.

Thank you!

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:38 pm
Dying is $80-$100. It will oxidize again and many people believe faster (Although I'm a believer in dying shaitels). It can be done in a few days.

Which area in NY will you be?

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 12:48 pm
You can get a Bella wig for under $1500.
I got mine over half a year ago, very happy.
Mine is very long, looks very thick, I get compliments...Customer service is good, when I had a problem, I sent it back, they fixed it free of charge.

Turnaround time depends on what they have in stock. Maybe call the store/sheitel macher in advance to tell them what you are looking for (approximate color, length) so that they can order some pieces that may be good for you to try on.

Where in NY/NJ will you be? Quite a few places sell them. You can PM me for the number of the person I used.

shlomitsmum

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 1:26 pm
Paula's wigs in Toronto is a very reputable place . Very Happy

faigyl

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 2:22 pm
Do not get a Paula's Wig.

adventuresOOT

Post Thu, Mar 27 2014, 5:14 pm
Thank you for all of the suggestions so far -- please keep them coming. When in NY, we'll be kind of all over -- the Heights, Brooklyn, Teaneck/Bergenfield. Does anyone have suggestions for any of those places?

It's frustrating to pour more money into an already not-so-great sheitel for dying/cutting, especially if dying is potentially decreasing its lifespan, but I guess it's less cost than scrapping it and buying all new ones altogether.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels