Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Long flight with kids

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:36 pm
We are Iy"h flying with kids, approximately 6-7 hour flight. The way going will be at night-9pm, but the way home will be midday. I figure I should stock up on portable toys or activities to keep the kids busy when they are not sleeping. Any ideas of cheap things I can buy either online (preferably amazon because we need it quick) or in/near Boro Park?
Also how much food do I need to take along for the kids if we are leaving the house after supper (hopefully that will be a normal meal)?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:41 pm
If you have any iPads or iTouches this is the time to let the kids play with them. It's how we survived our flight to Israel. Coloring books and crayons, sticker and activity books, those Yes & No invisible ink books are all good too.

sped

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 12:59 pm
How old are your kids? I am bez"H flying with an almost 4 year old. Last year I took lots of paper, markers (washable), loads of new stickers, play-doh, books he likes and bought a few cheap toys that were exciting only because they were new. Take into account that not everything will make it off the plane. I plan to do something similar this year.
Can I break in to ask for ideas for a super active 1.5 year old?

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 1:03 pm
4 kids. Ages 2, 4, 5, 7.
I have a leappad which will need to be shared. Activity books and yes and no books sound good. Where can I get those in Boro Park for cheap? Clay sounds like a good idea too.

granolamom

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 8:52 pm
we're preparing for a long flight too.
lots of sticker books, yes and no books, those magnetic toys, it opens like a book and has a scene on each side with loads of magnets you can position all around. markers, sketch pads. my kids are older than yours but last time we went to israel we had kids your ages. I got an idea here that was great, I prepared lots of 'pekelach' enough to give each kid one per hour of the flight (I didnt end up using them all). little bags tied pretty with a snack and a small toy. whenever a kid started to get whiny or upset or whatever I'd bring out the peklach. it was a good cheap distraction.
also books. and headphones if you plan to let them watch anything on the flight.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 03 2014, 10:28 pm
Good luck! We have a 24 hour flight coming up with 4 kids. Yikes!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 04 2014, 12:05 am
We recently went from ny to israel, and back with three kids, aged 2, 5 and 7. I had a knapsack full of activities (crayons, markers, stickers, coloring books, workbooks, magic ink books, dolls, bop-it, plane letters from neighbors and classmates, a ball, toy cars, etc.) And snacks. As soon as we got on the plane they found the headphones and started watching videos, from before takeoff! I had to beg them to stop, and convinced them to color a little. They peeked at nearby passengers screens when I made them have a "time out" from watching for a bit. It was funny cuz its not like they're video deprived. There are parental controls you can set to make sure they don't watch anything inappropriate. My 2yo was the only one who really enjoyed the activities I packed, his siblings were lost somewhere in the world of disney.
Have a safe and fun trip! Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics