Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Where should we live? Please help!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 1:36 pm
The price of rent in Silver Spring is also much higher than most other "out of town/NY" communities. And the Berman Hebrew Academy is definitely on the higher end of education/tuition options.

shayna82

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 1:43 pm
pittsburgh is nice and very affordable. most can afford a house. 2 schools thru highschool, at least 5 frum orthodox shuls off the top of my head in our community, mikvah, kosher restaraunts (3) and a bakery, kosher market, judaica store, silver store...

its worth chekcing out, it sounds right up your ally. if you need more info.. pm me

yoyosma

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 10:41 pm
Quote:
Confused I think that FULL tuition in Crown Heights (for families who earn a comfortable income) is probably closer to 5,000.

Full tuition at BR is $7,000. Its more at other schools.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 25 2007, 12:12 am
Dh and I make around that sum and we live "out of town". Full tuition is about $8K, but we have 5 in one school and pay a total of $12K for all 5. You can definitely make it, even with loans on $80K.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:13 am
greenfire wrote:
hey there is always Cleveland ... 3 communities to chose from ... tons of shuls and 3 schools ... you can eventually buy a house because the mortgage payments would be cheap per month ... once you get settled ... there is an eruv ... a mikva ... oh and this is not a sales pitch ... just info ... nothing is ever perfect in life ... but choices at times need to be made

(This is anon because I don't want people to know this info about me, not because I'm embarassed about telling the truth... Oh, and this is not meant as lashon hora- its mamash lito'eles.)
I'm from Cleveland, and honestly I would NEVER recommend to someone to move there.
Cleveland is a VERY polarized community and unless you're either a)Yeshivish and Jappy or b) VERY MO and wealthy you won't find a community that you like.
Each school is worse than the next. The MO school is practically conservative- the kids there are as sl-tty as they come, and even many MO people wouldn't dream of sending their kids there. The middle of the road yeshivish day school is somewhat better, however it is also polarized. The chinuch there doesn't focus much on hashkafa, and a disproportionate amount of kids there go off the derech. The most charedi school there is VERY stuck up and snobby and most the the people there have the most attrocious middos you'll ever see in jewish people.
It's mamash very sad.
A lot of parents in Cleveland chose to homeschool because of this. And even more families move away.
Oh- and tuition there is about 9000 dollars a year per kid for the middle of the road school. MO school is more expensive. Not sure how much the charedi school costs.
But you can forget about getting a scholarship to the school unless your husband learns in kollel.
Oh, and I heard its not the easiest thing to get a job.

One thing nice to say about Cleveland- its VERY pretty. No place I've lived in since can compare.

I actually would suggest pittsburgh. Only problem is they have quite a drug problem with the older kids, but b'h its getting worked on. Its cheap, and its middle of the road and accepting of all different types of people. And if I remember correctly, there are two choices of school- hillel, and chabad.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 8:00 am
hey lady ... I just told her that there were 3 types of schools ... and also pointed out this was not a sales pitch ... you gave a lot more details ... kol hakovod for pointing out the negatives of everything ... guess what ... every place has it's negatives ... and also positives ... I did not say she should live in cleveland heights with the yeshivish "im better than you crowd" I was more thinking of university heights ... also ... I pointed out to her that she needs to visit the places she has in mind so she can get a feel for herself ... and why are you telling her to move to pitts with drugs might I ask ... point being every community has their ups and downs ... good and bad ... are many of you aware also that sending your kids to eretz yisroel they also have a "crack corner" ... what about NY are you not aware of the downfalls of all the teens who run amok ... there is nowhere really free ... therefore one must make an informed decision based on their needs and their families preferences ... and of course not be in denial

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 8:52 am
greenfire wrote:
hey lady ... I just told her that there were 3 types of schools ... and also pointed out this was not a sales pitch ... you gave a lot more details ... kol hakovod for pointing out the negatives of everything ... guess what ... every place has it's negatives ... and also positives ... I did not say she should live in cleveland heights with the yeshivish "im better than you crowd" I was more thinking of university heights ... also ... I pointed out to her that she needs to visit the places she has in mind so she can get a feel for herself ... and why are you telling her to move to pitts with drugs might I ask ... point being every community has their ups and downs ... good and bad ... are many of you aware also that sending your kids to eretz yisroel they also have a "crack corner" ... what about NY are you not aware of the downfalls of all the teens who run amok ... there is nowhere really free ... therefore one must make an informed decision based on their needs and their families preferences ... and of course not be in denial

True. But what I was trying to get at, is Cleveland's negatives REALLY outweigh the positives. Almost everyone I know from Cleveland can't wait to move away.
University heights isn't great- there are still many filthy rich people there, its very materialistic, and the girls/boys situation there is quite bad... But you're right, univ hts is somewhat better than cleveland heights.
My point specifically was that the schools in Cleveland are pretty miserable, and since she said one of the qualifications for a place to live was a jewish school, she probably wouldn't want to send kids to a place where the schools are known to be terrible... And honestly, its probably not in her budget (schools anyhow...)

But let me try to point out the positive...
Lots of resources there for homeschoolers. Good colleges in the area. Relatively safe. Housing isn't too expensive. However, apts aren't too close to the frum community, besides for certain places which are labeled "poor people" apts. City provides good recreation, such as karate, hockey, swimming, basketball teams. There's a seperate swimming pool at the JCC. (Two JCCs even...) Many different shuls.As said earlier, beautiful parks/houses/trees/grassy areas...

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 8:57 am
so mysterious amother ... do you still live here ... they got rid of the other JCC ... so there is only 1 ... man now you've got me curious ... do I know you ... do you know me?!?!?!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:05 am
Green, do you know the Torons and the CAplands?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:07 am
I used to live in Silver Spring, MD and now live in Baltimore, MD. There are more resources in Balt (schools, shuls, butchers, bakerys, etc) than SS. The cost of living is a good bit lower too. However, what I love about SS is that its a smaller community and people really know eachother. Its easy to get lost in the crowd in a big community like Balt.

If you choose Sil Spr, you'd probably like the White Oak community and the Torah school. There are 2 other communities (Kemp Mill and Woodside) plus there are smaller communities in other DC suburbs - Potomac (VERY expensive) and Rockville - but they're further from the Torah School and kosher shops.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:08 am
teren

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:15 am
greenfire wrote:
so mysterious amother ... do you still live here ... they got rid of the other JCC ... so there is only 1 ... man now you've got me curious ... do I know you ... do you know me?!?!?!

Moved away 3 years ago. How long ago did they get rid of the other JCC? (Which did they get rid of? Mandell or Mayfeild?) I didn't really swim at the JCC bec my family didn't want to pay for the pass...

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:45 am
no mayfield anymore... building condos ... must travel to mandel ... but ... they opened up the first kosher subway in there ... although I hear a second on in brooklyn...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 2:42 pm
No, their name was Toron. Maybe they aren't in clevlend anymore.

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:25 pm
Hi,
OP here. Thanks so much for all the suggestions so far. I wish we could afford to go on pilot trips to all these different places, but unfortunately that is not the case. I have been looking seriously into the areas suggested, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Baltimore, etc. I like the idea of an 'out of town' place, as the costs of living appear to be lower, however there do seem to be fewer jobs for dh in those areas, as would be expected. I expect most places to have issues in the community, every place does really, I guess I've just been concentrating my search based on affordability, but there are definetly other factors that always need to be considered, but it's really hard to do that till you're there already... We're not people who fit any kind of mold anyway, and I'm sure that we'd be judged for who we are by others no matter where we go.
It's really getting down to the wire for us timewise. I'm literally biting my nails about this, and it's driving us insane! If there are other places left to consider, please feel free to add more suggestions to the mix!
Thank you.

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:27 pm
Passaic is nice - it is an "in town" community with an "out of town" feel...

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:41 pm
CM - Toron is from Cinci (or maybe columbus), but not cleveland. Green is thinking of a diff (not lubavitch) family (wife has a clothing store on taylor rd.) I think Toron does still live in Ohio, but am not sure if Capland does (they were in Columbus).

On to the main topic - not sure why the amother above seems to have such a problem with Cleveland. I can see where some of the points come from, but I think that as Green says that is really magnifying the negatives (which each city has). University hts. isnt exactly full of "filthy rich" families. There are a lot of young families that work hard to get by, and are starting out in their first homes.

The community has grown tremendously in the past 15 years, and there are now tons of frum people of many different varieties. While I used to know everyone in town, I now see new faces each time I am there.

good luck!

DefyGravity

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:44 pm
Yes, Toron is definitely in Cinci.
They have a daughter that lives in Columbus.

Who knows, maybe one of their kids lives in Cleveland now. Anything's possible.

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:56 pm
I dont think any of their kids are in cleve now (although not impossible!). There is another family in cleve that I think Green was thinking of. Green - am I remembering my cleve trivia correctly? the family you mention is a "hts" family whos kids went to cheder?? do they still call mosdos that?

As they say.....Cleveland Rocks!!!

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 6:00 pm
Isnt Toron from Chicago?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics