Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Where should we live? Please help!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

greenfire

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 6:10 pm
come to think of it were they butchers ... cincinatti that could be who you are thinking of and the Greens ... mosdos ... I know of both ... is that you again little sweetie ... young enough to be my daughter Wink

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:17 pm
Only if your daughter is old enough to have grey hair!

I havent lived in cleve for about 15 years, so may be out of touch with some of the current goings on....Im old time cleveland before there was a mosdos or mizrachi(both started while I was in school), and we all went to the acadamy together.....ah, those were the days.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:25 pm
Does anyone hear from Shani, who got married and moved to Italy some years ago? That's all I wantede to know . . . .

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
Isnt Toron from Chicago?

That's Turen.

momto4

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 7:45 pm
I would agree with the rest of them. usually the smaller "out of town" cities have cheaper housing and cost of living. ex: detroit, milwaukee, cleveland, silver spring, etc. u can usually get a really big house for much cheaper than in the larger cities. good luck with your decision!

BrachaC

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 8:56 pm
Just to add another idea: Philadelphia. It's a major city with all of the job opportunities that go with that. That are different areas with different housing costs, lifestyles etc. There are two different schools (about a half hour apart that serve the different areas). You would probably have to work a little harder to get a really cheap scholarship with an income of 80, but since I pushed for it, they have added spots on all the tuition forms for student loan payments. Full tuition here (at the cheap school) is about 7k, but very few families pay it.

Good luck

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:14 pm
Look into Detroit, there is low-cost housing here and decent schools.

momtoesty

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:22 pm
Passaic is a really nice community with all different types blending together - so anyone would feel comfortable here. There are also alot of jobs in the area as it is 20-30 minutes by bus/train from Manhattan. The BUT is that the cost of living is a little higher here. Rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment is avg of $1500 a month. Renting a house with 2-3 bedrooms is more like $2000 a month etc.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
Only if your daughter is old enough to have grey hair!

I havent lived in cleve for about 15 years, so may be out of touch with some of the current goings on....Im old time cleveland before there was a mosdos or mizrachi(both started while I was in school), and we all went to the acadamy together.....ah, those were the days.

thanks for the laugh - yes ... but I have been here 17 years and mosdos and mizrachi actually were both around ... lol ... personally I have sent my kids to all the schools ... so ... I am familiar with the whole shabang ... so I guess there are more clevenlanders or one time clevelanders here in imamotherville ... good to know

shanie5

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:36 pm
Scranton pa. is very affordable. houses can be bought from $70,000 and up. tuition is around $6000, scholarships available. we have an eruv, mikvah, and three shuls. great people here too-like me!
job market is tough though.

anuta

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
We throughly looked at Maryland, but the tuition at the main school there (I think it was called Berman's?) was around $12,000 a year! That scared us away. We looked briefly at NJ and NY, but the cost of living also seemed high...

You are looking at the wrong places. Maryland is very expensive, one of the more expensive areas in the country. It is greater Washington DC metropolitan area.

chavamom

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 11:31 pm
St. Louis is worth looking into for "out of town" communities. No restaurants though!

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:14 am
Green - I think mizrachi opened around 1983 (give or take a year) and mosdos started around then too.

There are a lot of good things about cleveland including cost of living (possibly outweighed by a somewhat weak job market) choice of schools, a few resteraunts, nice families.....although buy some boots!!! it snowed like 4 feet over pesach which made my husband point out "see why we dont live here......"

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:30 am
What great responses! We need to move in the west coast (for health reasons), does anyone have any suggestions for a "Pittsburgh" or a "Detroit" on the West side of the country?

Emuna

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:32 am
I've heard good things about Seattle - if you don't mind rain.

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:39 am
[quote="Emuna"]I've heard good things about Seattle - if you don't mind rain.[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestion, but my husband has SAD. Have you heard anything about Portland? That's a bit further south? Very Happy

Emuna

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:44 am
I've heard good things about Portland, but it rains just as much. It's very close to Seattle. You may have to look into the dreaded Los Angeles if you want a real community with restaurants and chinuch and shuls and everything everything everything. (But too much for some people.) Perhaps Arizona is an option. It's growing nicely, but it's not really established yet - PM Roza because she will tell you everything about the AZ possibilities. More sun there than anywhere Sunny

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 1:05 am
Thank you again! We are actually planning on a visit to Portland within the next month. It isn't a great in terms of sunlight, but it isn't supposed to have the same amount of cloud cover as Seattle. Having my children in day school is essential. I love the idea of homeschooling (and the price) but my eldest needs a teacher other than her own Ima. Very Happy

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 11:01 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Does anyone hear from Shani, who got married and moved to Italy some years ago? That's all I wantede to know . . . .
I *think* she's still there.
Yes Toron was a butcher umpteen years ago when there were many butchers in Cincinnati. He's now the administrator the Vaad Hoier I believe.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 11:19 am
AFAIK, they're still in Italy.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics