Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Looking for a writing teacher

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 3:07 pm
Hi

My friend is a smart, creative girl who needs a writing coach. She has a most interesting life - her story must be told! She has never written professionally but is a quick learner and passionate about writing.

NYC area
TIA

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:50 pm
Bump

No one??

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:53 pm
Is she looking for a professional writing instructor or an editor? Or would someone who likes to write but has no real credentials do?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 6:57 pm
I've never been published, nor have a taught writing. she probably doesn't need a writing teacher. she needs a few serious critics. one's writing improves when one's writings are ripped apart by a reader.

who is she interested in publishing with? a frum publisher or secular? that makes a huge difference in writing requirements.

I will say that once a story is about someone's interesting life that "must be told!" I'm not interested in reading it. afaik, every other person has a difficult/different/interesting life story that would "make a good book." a good writer can take a standard cup of coffee and turn it into something interesting. a bad writer can take a great story and turn it into chalk dust. tell her to find a writing workshop near her and write whatever comes to her mind/whatever fits with the week's assignments. relying on one person to help her is not the best formula for success.

oliveoil

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:14 pm
I agree with Mummiedearest. I also strongly recommend the book "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser as the best place to start.

Then again, if writing is not something she wants to go into, she just wants to tell her story, she's probably best off working with a writer/ghostwriter instead of doing it herself.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:28 pm
She actually wants to vamp up her writing skills first - so a writing instructor or workshop would be ideal.

Do any of you know of either one in NYC area?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:34 pm
NYC is big. can you be more specific? there are definitely women's writing workshops around, but I don't know how good they are. If she's a Touro student, I can recommend one of the professors who I found helpful. I don't know if a one-semester class is what she needs, but it's a start. otherwise, it might be worth it for her to find an online forum for writers. I'm sure she could gain something. again, this depends on what her target audience is going to be.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:37 pm
Brooklyn

I think she needs a heimish workshop with assignments and critique - with lots of give and take so she gets the feel of writing for an audience.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
Brooklyn

I think she needs a heimish workshop with assignments and critique - with lots of give and take so she gets the feel of writing for an audience.

a heimish workshop- does that mean art scroll/feldheim ambitions? I've seen someone advertise in the 20's and 30's. don't know if the workshops are any good. if she has friends who like to read, she can start one herself. her friends need to be willing to be honest. a few rules that would help:

in describing someone else's work, no empty adjectives, I.e. "amazing!" (this is a great rule for writing, too).
everyone MUST come up with at least one negative about everyone else's work.
come to the workshop with enough copies for everyone. all listeners must write comments on their copies and hand them back after the reading.

Jughead

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 12:11 am
I am a published writer as well as a professional editor and writing coach. I am not in the NYC area, but if she'd be interested in one-on-one coaching via email/telephone, you can pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club