Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
What's the smartest (no-risk) way to invest $100,000.?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:34 am
What would you do with 100,000. that you can't afford to lose (other than the obvious CD)?

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:38 am
how long do you want to put it away for? when will you need it?

do some research- money market account, mutual fund- tax free if you want, some savings accounts you can find with just as much as an APY% as cd's.

check out bankrate.com, you can find the best rates there.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:39 am
Life insurance policy on an elderly person?

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:44 am
I can hold it for you. Wink

S.Shcwartz

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:49 am
bonds.

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:51 am
I would invest in real estate. even if property value might go down one day, which in our community it's only rising, at least my kids might have a home to live in one day.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:54 am
I've heard that insurance companies are looking into that in our community.
As far as bank offerings, you can't do better than 5.50 APY in a bank, with FDIC. Thats about 5,000. a year return. Most people find more profitable ways to invest. (Some lose it too, though with risky investments).

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:58 am
you sould really look into the life insurance. the ones I've heard about are basically no risk, cuz in the worst case you always still get back your principle investment (even if for some reason the claim is denied-suicide, etc.) so there is very low risk there.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 8:05 am
happyone wrote:
I would invest in real estate. even if property value might go down one day, which in our community it's only rising, at least my kids might have a home to live in one day.
How does 100,000 help with buying a house in Brooklyn? You need more than that down for any house in Brooklyn. Please explain.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 8:12 am
amother wrote:
What would you do with 100,000. that you can't afford to lose (other than the obvious CD)?

If you can't lose it, then there's nothing that's safer than a CD. Government Bonds are virtually risk-free, but you're not going to get 5.5% like you will with a CD.

Internet Direct banking is the best way to go - a regular savings account at ING will give you 4.5% interest and it's FDIC insured.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 8:13 am
GR wrote:
how long do you want to put it away for? when will you need it?

do some research- money market account, mutual fund- tax free if you want, some savings accounts you can find with just as much as an APY% as cd's.

check out bankrate.com, you can find the best rates there.

Mutual funds are NOT risk free.
If the market turns sour, you're screwed.

rainbow

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 8:40 am
Ooooo.....I could use some....got a few thousand to spare? Even one thousand will go a long way here.....pm me if it's doable....

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:27 am
defy, a mutual fund is safer than investing in stocks on your own. I think of it as pretty much risk-free since you don't have to worry about it from day to day since there are experts investing for you. yeah, the market might crash, anything can happen. the more you want to make off your $, the more risk you need to be willing to take.

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:34 am
Mutual Funds, aside from CDs, High Yielding Savings Accounts and the like, have the least risk given they are much more diversified than stocks or bonds. If you are interested in Mutual Funds try and look for "no load" mutual funds, where you pay fees but no commission.

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:49 am
shoy, you can get mutual funds with no fees either.

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 9:51 am
GR wrote:
shoy, you can get mutual funds with no fees either.

Is that a question or a comment, because thats what I said

gryp

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 10:05 am
did I read wrong? you said you can get funds with fees but with no commission, so I'm just commenting that there are funds out there with no fees if you invest a certain amount.

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 10:07 am
Oh ok I was confused bec it sounded like a question.... I wasn't aware that there were any funds that were completely free... cool

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 10:08 am
my family is a similar position as you we received 100k that we need to invest safely, right now its in a high interest bank, and we're keeping our eyes open for a good property investment we'll see wut happens..

amother

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 12:21 pm
You can buy investment property in run down areas such as Philadelphia for about $30,000 each, or a package deal of 3 houses for $100k.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics