Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Switzerland
1  2  Next

saramalka

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 2:51 pm
Has anyone been to either Wengen, Davos , Arosa during Ben hazemanim? What is the crowd like and what are the activities in the area. Which hotels are recommended?

mimsf

Post Sun, Jun 08 2014, 3:05 pm
I havnt been in any of them but, I have about 100 or more ppl from my town going to Davos-its very nice and good for when u have kids, all activities r for free, u have a mikveh their and u can buy kosher food, loads of chasidishe go their, Arosa is similar im not sure if they have free activities but its less packed with yidden but to much for me and thats why I dont go their. I prefer a nice place with max 20 families for minjen

amother

Post Mon, Jun 09 2014, 11:33 am
I don't know anything about Wengen. Davos is extremely crowded. If you like mingling with lots and lots of people (mainly Gerrer chassidim, as far as I can tell) this is the place for you. Kosher food available, lots of minyanim, mikvah, etc.

Arosa has fewer people and is in general a smaller place. A mainly chassidish crowd too, IIRC, but all types heartily welcome. There's only one hotel in Arosa, so that's the one to go to. I don't know about the hotels in Davos, other than that there are at least two of them. Both the ones I know of are run by nice people.

As for what to do, the main activity in Switzerland in the summer is walking/hiking. Everything else is secondary.

pknt

Post Thu, Jun 19 2014, 5:14 pm
saramalka thanks for starting this thread! I'm also considering Switzerland but would love to hear advice and ideas from the ones who were there already.
Anybody care to share?
Thanks!

Dolly1

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 2:33 am
I´ve been to Arosa, numerous times. it´s a beautiful place. the crowd is different every year.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 7:33 am
My dh's family went to Arosa and Davos many times, I can ask him if you want. Though over years maybe it changed too much to be relevant.

baba

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 10:06 am
Davos is very chassidic. There's a rebbe that comes from Antwerp and all his chassidim follow, dont remember who it is though. Besides kosher hotels, people often also stay in appartments. Kosher food is complicated in Switzerland, but not hard, especially if you eat CS. There's even pas yisroel bread in the normal supermarket in the summer and the kosher hotel sells food for shabbes. Besides that, Davos is beautiful.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:44 pm
In Switzrland (Europe, really) you need to download the kosher list and see what it allows. Switzerland's has many nice things.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 1:46 pm
I have been to Arosa.

It was years ago but it was a largely mixed crowd. There were several chasidish families as well as a couple yeshivish ones.

Gorgeous place I wish I could go back!

pknt

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 2:26 pm
Thank you all for replying!
Anyone went Arosa AND Davos and could compare the hotel room itself? The food?

dilego

Post Sat, Jun 21 2014, 3:13 pm
From what I understand davos has nicer rooms.but its really full of yiden during bein hazmanim and u wont get me there on vecation as its more towny than arosa and alot of other nice places in switzerland.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 12:09 am
I was in Davos a few times. Even though there are loads of yidden, it is absolutely not crowded. I loved the fact that it is Heimish. There are many apartments and also hotels. Eurospar, a local supermarket, has all kosher and Cholov Yisroel products. All sightseeing is free and local trains are free. If you love nature, Davos is stunning. I didn't go with small children, though.

saramalka

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 1:49 am
What about Wengen?

copypaste

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 2:32 am
Is Switzerland also an option for winter vacation? Do they have all kosher amenities then as well or just summer? We want to go to Switzerland but don't like a crowded place.

Dolly1

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 2:36 am
copypaste wrote:
Is Switzerland also an option for winter vacation? Do they have all kosher amenities then as well or just summer? We want to go to Switzerland but don't like a crowded place.

If ur debating between going now or in the winter; SAVE IT FOR THE WINTER!! U can NOT compare Switzerland in the summer to Switzerland in the winter! My family goes to Arosa almost every summer, it is beautiful! this year my dh and me decided to go ourselves in the winter (no kids). It was THE NICEST VACATION EVER!!! Though it is a drop more expensive, non the less it is still worth it!

copypaste

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 2:41 am
Thanks for your reply. My DH and I want to make it as a vacation without kids. Can u share more info where to stay, eat, and what we can do there?

Dolly1

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 2:45 am
In Arosa there is a kosher hotel "Metropol". It´s not the nicest, although I heard they renovated recently... We usually stay in an aptmnt there... u can buy bread etc. in the regular supermarket. u gotta download the kosherlist. There are lots of hiking trails, boating, and sightseeing places...

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 3:33 am
copypaste wrote:

Yes it certainly is an option. But activities differ greatly. Main summer attractions are hiking, boats on the lake etc, whereas winter is not surprisingly dominated by skiing. Actually most resorts in Switzerland are more expensive in winter, because it is considered the peak season. Kosher hotels also become more expensive in winter because of israelim craving for real snow/real skiing/snowboarding experience. Are you and DH skiers? If not, I won't pay premium to go in the winter. That's why we tend to go there for summer.

dilego

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 5:43 am
the hotels aren't more expensive b/c of israelis its b/c wintwer season is generally more expensive in the tourist places on switzerland

dilego

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 5:45 am
by the way you can't compare summer to winter...its just very different and both are beautiful.I personally love the winter snow and sun eventhough I dont ski or tube
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics