Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Laundry detergent need a hechsher?
1  2  Next

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:34 pm
So I am getting more and more frustrated. I am finding it hard to find laundry detergent with a hechsher and I always used to. Dish soap -- no problem and I get why it needs it. But does laundry detergent really need a hechsher?? TIA

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:39 pm
Why would laundry detergent need a hechsher?

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:40 pm
Weird! I just checked my laundry detergent and it has a hechsher.... I use shaklee btw.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:41 pm
laundry detergent does not need to be kosher unless you plan to drink it

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:45 pm
OK, not drinking it but I was taught it was needed in case residue was left on towels and then you used the towels on dishes. Not saying I buy into this but now I see how few detergents have a hechsher whereas there used to be more.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:48 pm
Soap is used to render things "non edible" halachically. It is not, cannot be kosher. I never use a hechsher for the liquid to wash anything, and laundry? new one to me! Don't spend money on this scam.

Pineapple

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 12:55 pm
Never heard this before

Kitten

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 1:01 pm
Some toilet bowl cleaners have a hechsher. Why exactly? I hope nobody seriously plans to drink them...

lfab

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 1:14 pm
My husband took the OU kashrus course a while back and they said that the reason some of these products have a hechsher on them is that the company wants it. Apparently there are consumers out there (even non-jews) who see the OU (or other hechsher on a product) and think it's a status symbol or means it's a better product, etc. so they will pay more for the product. So while it's not really necessary some companies request kosher certification across all their products.

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 1:15 pm
I suppose if you wanted to poison someone who keeps kosher you would use a detergent with a hechsher -- JUST A VERY BAD JOKE!! DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE OR REPORT ME!!

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 1:44 pm
Lfab - thank you! That answer makes the most sense. I guess it is like getting pulled in for KLP products that don't need a special hechsher. I feel better buying whatever detergent now.

mille

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 2:46 pm
Kitten wrote:
Some toilet bowl cleaners have a hechsher. Why exactly? I hope nobody seriously plans to drink them...

It's for when your dog or cat drinks from the bowl, just in case they come lick your face after! LOL

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:25 pm
Yea, I once saw an old bottle of whiteout that had an OU on it--go figure.

My DH doesn't see the point of getting dish soap with a hechsher because the whole purpose is "nosein taam l'fgam"

Even if you were using it to dry dishes, the chances of the water being yad soledes bo to transfer the "taste" would be slight, and after 24 hours any taam in the towels from detergent would be "null"

Furthermore most detergents today are made with chemicals vs. soap which used to be made primarily from lard.

Kitten

Post Fri, Jun 20 2014, 4:37 pm
miami85 wrote:
Furthermore most detergents today are made with chemicals vs. soap which used to be made primarily from lard.

In many countries (Mediterranean countries at least) soap is made primarily from vegetable oil.

Marion

Post Sat, Jun 21 2014, 4:54 pm
I decided I saw value in the hechsher on my laundry detergent when I added some to a pot of BOILING water in order to remove all the burnt on (pasta? rice? I don't remember) that slid right off afterwards... Same for the pot in which I put the glasses from the Chanukiah, then added detergent and came away with spotless oil cups...

Heyaaa

Post Sat, Jun 21 2014, 5:02 pm
Lipstick, of all things, does not NEED to be kasher lepesach, bec it's not edible. Yes, you will end up swallowing some but it's not considered edible. So detergent definitely does not need to be kosher.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jun 21 2014, 10:43 pm
I just noticed that my tissues are "Badatz." What

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Jun 21 2014, 10:46 pm
DrMom wrote:
I just noticed that my tissues are "Badatz." What

your tissues are badass? LOL

chaos

Post Sat, Jun 21 2014, 11:38 pm
Funny, I just noticed that my laundry detergent has OU hechsher. I don't think laundry detergent needs a hechsher. I certainly didn't make a point of buying hechsher laundry detergent.

Redbird

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 12:19 am
I would love to know if there is any legit rabbi who says that laundry needs a hechsher. Confused
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry