Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Can I name my son the same as my b-I-l?

amother

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 3:37 pm
Way back when, before I knew I was expecting a boy, I asked my sister if I could name my baby the same name as her husband. (I just like the name) She said it is totally fine. I still like the name best of all... the only thing is maybe I dont like it as much as my other children's names just bc it's been used so much in the family. It's not new.
But I am scared that somehow I may cause hard feelings somewhere. Like maybe my parents who are supersensitive to things, will say I should have named a different name. What do you think - is it ok or not?

shalhevet

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 3:45 pm
I know plenty of people who have children with the same name as their brothers/ sisters. In fact it's quite common b/c a sibling may have been named after a grandparent and then the other sibling wants to call his/her child after the same g-grandparent.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 3:48 pm
Why not? Is it going to be a problem if they are going to go by the same exact name?

MommyEsty

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 4:14 pm
im one of 10 my husband is one of 12 kah' that would rule out alot of names for us!

greenfire

Post Tue, May 01 2007, 5:34 pm
name him what you want ... why would it be a problem ... parents are always sensitive ... if there is someone in the family they are hoping you will name after

Raisin

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 6:48 am
In my family we all have the same names (named after lubavitch rebbeim and rebbetzins or grandparents.)

Nobody is bothered. But in some circles I see that it is not done to give you child the same name as another family member.

What happens in your family if a child is named after a grandparent?. Does nobody else use that name?

amother

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:32 am
Nobody really named after my grandparents for various reasons, so that isn't such an issue.
I just dont want to cause hard feelings in having my son named the same as another relative. I know I am already causing problems by not naming after my grandparents, which no one else really does either. My grandparents never said 2 words to us, they werent nice to my parents, they could care less if we were dead or alive, and borderline self hating Jews.

shopaholic

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 12:30 pm
My son has the same name as my BIL (DH's sister's DH) & my brother's 2nd name. Noone had a problem with it.

chen

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 2:55 pm
Don't you know any families in which every one of the siblings named at least one child after the same grandparent or great-grand? Good grief, I know a woman whose son has the same name as her brother, just that one answers to " Jake" and the other to "Yaki" , and they were not named for the same person. Unusual, maybe, but evidently it is done.

MyKidsRQte

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 7:25 pm
My son has the same name as my brother, even down to the nickname. They were both named after my grandfather

mimsy7420

Post Wed, May 02 2007, 8:54 pm
It's very common for uncles and nephews to have the same name. I know some people are against it, but I don't agree.

ChavieK

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 1:53 am
It's different when you are all naming after s/o, but amother said she just liked the name. If your sis & b-I-l are ok with it you should be too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names