Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
I *think* my daughter has mild sensory processing disorder

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:40 pm
Does anyone have experience with this? Any occupational therapists around who can weigh in on this?

My daughter is a lovely, very very sweet and seemingly 'normal' 3 year old, but as she's developed, she's failed to outgrow some behaviours, which now have me wondering if she has SPD (even a mild form).

For instance, at 3 years old, she's still extremely uncomfortable with stairs. For every step she takes up or down the stairs, she grips the railing tightly and braces herself for several seconds before taking the step. She often loses her balance and falls.

She's also extremely uncomfortable at the playground, and won't climb anything, except a "Ladder" that's about 20 inches high. Interestingly, though, she loves the swings...But even if I carry her up onto the playground, she's terrified once we're on the second floor of the structure, even though it's a flat surface and totally safe. She's especially terrified and paralyzed with fear if the flooring on the playground is made of metal with little holes in it (to allow water to drain through)...the holes are the width of a pencil and somehow she's terrified to fall through....

I've also noticed that she has fear of certain sounds. For instance, if we're listening to classical music and one part of a song has many violins that play low notes at the same time, she immediately covers her ears and says "mommy, I'm scared". And, if a children's television show (even "My Little Pony!!") has even slightly ominous music indicating that something is about to happen, she's terrified. She watches sesame street with her eyes half closed and her hands cupped over her ears because, for no reason I can see, she's really afraid!!

As she's getting older, I notice her being content just to watch her older sister go and do all sorts of fun things while she sits on the side lines and watches from a 'safe' spot. It breaks my heart.

Oh, and one more thing.....I have absolutely no idea if this is related, but it's another quirk that I thought I would mention. My daughter ONLY likes to eat raw fruits and vegetables. That's it. Getting her to eat anything else (even things you'd expect her to like, such as cake/cookies) is a challenge. ONLY fruits/vegetables and, more recently, she's agreed to eat canned chickpeas. I know many parents laugh and say "That's really not a problem. You're lucky! My son only wants candy!"....but the truth is, a child can't really subsist on raw fruits and veggies alone! She needs SOME protein and carbs!! I'm wondering if this is also a sensory issue...having to do with the feel of foods in her mouth...

What do you think?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:45 pm
Sounds like gravitational insecurity, oral sensory defensiveness, and auditory defensiveness. Have you read any books on SPD? It would be easy to tell you to go for therapy, but you're a smart mama and I think you can try out a few things at home first. A couple of good books are Raising a Sensory Smart Child and The Out of Sync Child. Those should give you a better idea of what's happening, and how to help her.

Good for you for being so aware and wanting to help your child!

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Jun 24 2014, 11:47 pm
Interestingly, my paediatrician just recommended "The Out of Sync Child" to me today. I noted all of this at our annual check up today, and he doesn't know much about SPD, but he knew enough to recommend that book...so I guess I'll be headed to the bookstore in the morning!!

And thank you for the compliment! Smile

Jewishmofm

Post Wed, Jun 25 2014, 12:11 am
Another vote for the out of sync child. We also liked the out of sync child has fun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)