Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Why am I not losing weight breastfeeding?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:03 am
I kept hearing "oh the baby weight just falls off when breastfeeding." But its barely budging for me Sad

Im on the minipill (micronor) and 6 months pp. Im definitely feeling hungry while breastfeeding but trying to eat healthy, and I try to exercise at least for some time every day.

Any advice or chizzuk?

UQT

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:17 am
When I nurse the weight doesn't shed so easily. I think my body is saving the fat in case of world-wide hunger - so the baby shouldn't starve.

The nursing only works for some people.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:19 am
I had the same experience as you. Also on micronor, eating healthy and doing some (perhaps not enough) exercise. It took me a year to lose all the weight gained during pregnancy. As much as I tried, the weight did not just slide off.

chani4

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:21 am
I didn't start lose the extra weight till I stopped breast feeding. Then it fell off

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:54 am
Same position as u op and my baby is 7 months old. I'm desperate to lose weight but I don't know how Sad

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 1:13 am
Not everyone loses weight breastfeeding. Everyone reacts to the hormonal changes differently. I actually gain a ton of weight when breastfeeding -- as does my sister. My doctor said that there are actually many people like that. I gain very little during my pregnancies, and usually come home from the hospital weighing less than I did before getting pregnant, but then gain 30 pounds or so in the first year of breastfeeding. Once I start to basically stop nursing between 18 months and 2 years, then I can start losing that weight.

Honestly it is hormonal, and if your body works this way there is very little you can do except for waiting it out. I found that being careful with diet and exercise at least prevented me from gaining, but I was never really able to lose while nursing, no matter what I did.

chani8

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 2:50 am
The BC may make it a little harder, but the bottom line is, calories.

No matter that you're eating healthy. Healthy food can be high in calories.

It's all about eating less calories.

Breastfeeding burns calories, around 300 calories a day.

If you're eating more calories than your body needs, it will store it as fat.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 3:19 am
chani8 wrote:
The BC may make it a little harder, but the bottom line is, calories.

No matter that you're eating healthy. Healthy food can be high in calories.

It's all about eating less calories.

Breastfeeding burns calories, around 300 calories a day.

If you're eating more calories than your body needs, it will store it as fat.

This is true, of course, but it is a bit simplistic. Recent studies have shown that the way in which an individual person burns calories varies greatly from person to person. Hormonal changes, such as the ones involved in nursing, can greatly affect how your body uses calories. For some people this means that their body goes into "storage mode", effectively causing a slower metabolism. IOW they may be eating the same number of calories that they ate before beginning to breastfeed, and maintaining the same activity levels, and their body will burn less calories leaving more to be stored as fat. And extreme restricting of calories may only aggravate the cycle.

This is not so different then a woman for example with PCOS, who may be doing everything right calorie-wise but who cannot lose weight without taking the hormonal issues into account.

chani8

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:43 am
Of course it can be more complicated, but that would be an unusual case. Perhaps more likely if OP suffered from gestational diabetes? I say that, because the issue with PCOS is related to insulin, afaiu.

Interesting to ponder. But really, M in Israel, I've realized that many people don't have the basic info of how to lose weight.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:54 am
chani8 wrote:
Of course it can be more complicated, but that would be an unusual case. Perhaps more likely if OP suffered from gestational diabetes? I say that, because the issue with PCOS is related to insulin, afaiu.

Interesting to ponder. But really, M in Israel, I've realized that many people don't have the basic info of how to lose weight.

You're absolutely right that many people don't have that basic math calculation down. And generally I would post the same thing -- consume less calories, and burn more calories.

But for a nursing woman it is not so unusual for hormones to be playing a role, and it is not connected to gestational diabetes but rather a hereditary trend. The difficulty losing weight that comes with PCOS is related to insulin resistance, which is connected to the hormonal imbalance that causes PCOS, so my point was simply that we see hormones affecting weight loss and gain in that scenario as well.

According to my doctor, individuals who have hormonal reactions that cause weight gain during nursing are not at all uncommon -- she did not consider it an "unusual case" at all, but rather something that happens to a certain percentage of women.

If this is you (and it sounds like that is what the OP is describing), it is still important to be careful about calories and try to exercise in order to avoid even more weight gain -- but you should also be realistic that a lot of the weight will have to wait until after you stop nursing.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 4:58 am
chani8 wrote:

Just to put this out there but not every woman with PCOS has gestational diabetes. One does not mean the other.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 10:29 am
My baby is a year old, I haven't nursed in almost five months and I'm still trying to get my baby weight off. I blame hormonal birth control.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 11:05 am
I had totally different experiences with different children. Some it fell off (first and second) and some it stuck like glue (third and fourth). I just stopped taking BC after 2 years and 5 lbs of stubborn weight just fell off with no effort at all so I'm guessing that the BC was retaining water or something.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:46 pm
My very skinny (think under 50 k) friend suffered from GD!! you never know.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 30 2014, 12:51 pm
Op here. I was skinny and never gained weight pre pg. definitely no pcos or gd bh. Even on the regular pill in the past I didn't have major problems. That's why I'm so frustrated.

To be clear I don't think I'm gaining just not really losing and still well above pre pg weight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise