Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Harry Potter is back he gets married and goes grey

blueberries

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 3:32 pm
Harry Potter grows up, gets married and goes grey in J.K. Rowling short story of adult wizard.

LONDON — Harry Potter is back — mysterious, married, and going grey.

J.K. Rowling has given fans a glimpse of the grown-up boy wizard in a new story posted Tuesday on her Pottermore website.

It’s the first update since Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was published in 2007, but Rowling spokesman Mark Hutchinson said there are “no plans” for a new Potter novel.

The 1,500-word story describes Harry, about to turn 34, attending the final of the Quidditch World Cup with his family and old friends Ron and Hermione.

Harry now has “threads of silver” in his hair and a mysterious cut on his cheekbone, related to his “top secret” work as an evil-battling Auror.

The story is written in the style of a gossip column for the Daily Prophet by reporter Rita Skeeter, a minor character in the novels.

The style allows Rowling to poke fun at the tabloid press, a real-life bugbear that she has accused of invading her privacy and that of her family.

Skeeter observes that Harry and friends are “no longer the fresh-faced teenagers they were in their heyday” and speculates about the state of Harry’s marriage to Ginny Weasley.

She says Ron Weasley’s red hair “appears to be thinning slightly,” and notes witheringly that Harry still wears “the distinctive round glasses that some might say are better suited to a style-deficient 12-year-old.”

The story discloses that Ron now runs the family joke shop, while Hermione is a — literally — high-flying civil servant, Deputy Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

There are also updates on other characters, including Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood, as well as glimpses of a new generation of teenage wizards.

Rowling has long said that Deathly Hallows, would be the last Potter novel, but has produced other Potter-related material, including spin-off story collection, The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Rowling has also published a novel for adults, The Casual Vacancy, and two detective thrillers under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2.....ted=1

zigi

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 4:49 pm
so weird that harry is 34. I am close to that I guess we both grew up. lol

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 6:25 pm
you'd think a wizard could wiz away the grey.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:44 pm
Yay!!!! Wish I could read it without logging in to pottermore...can't remember my SN since they're automatically generated...

Speaking of which, while the Casual Vacancy was a bit boring, I really love the series she's writing as Galbraith!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:47 pm
zaq wrote:
you'd think a wizard could wiz away the grey.

Sure he could, but Harry wouldn't...he's too busy fighting bad guys to get his hair done...and he never quite mastered the little household-type charms, he focuses on defensive magic...

anon for this

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:53 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Yay!!!! Wish I could read it without logging in to pottermore...can't remember my SN since they're automatically generated...

Speaking of which, while the Casual Vacancy was a bit boring, I really love the series she's writing as Galbraith!

Try this:
http://www.today.com/books/rea.....87288

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 7:56 pm
anon for this wrote:
Try this:
http://www.today.com/books/rea.....87288

Hug

anon for this

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 8:27 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Hug

I found it by accident and am glad I could share it.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 10:39 pm
anon for this wrote:
I found it by accident and am glad I could share it.

Thanks so much!

I enjoyed it purely for the nostalgia. I wish Jo would have put something, anything new in there, it basically reads like a repeat of the last chapter of the seventh.

dimples

Post Tue, Jul 08 2014, 11:06 pm
thank you!!!! I really miss harry potter Smile

sunny90

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 4:01 am
I missed her writing! I wish she'd write a sequel series about their kids or something.

buster

Post Tue, Jul 15 2014, 6:42 pm
Any way to see this without being signed up for pottermore account?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics