Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Inappropriate parts: Gr8 book. Spinoff Harry Potter thread
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

r_ch

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:20 am
rachel91 wrote:
It starts in the 5th book. And he has a crush in the 4th book.

I forgot. It looks like I should re-read them all! Oh fun!Smile

GetReal

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:51 am
oliveoil wrote:
Am I the only one who cannot think what in the world was wrong with harry potter? I feel like I should go and re-read them now!

I was wondering the same thing. I re-read them all a few months ago. A few kisses, a crush yes, pretty tame. Nothing I would black out!

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 11:00 am
Even in very insular communities don't teens know about crushes and kissing? I mean the hp books hardly feature promiscuous behavior.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 12:29 pm
In my insular yeshivish community, I am not sure my kids know anything about crushes or kissing. (They might once walk into my closed bedroom by mistake an see us hugging and/or kissing, but that would be unusual, and they certainly wouldn't expect anyone not married to be engaging in such behavior!)

However, for those who take their kids to malls/stores, they might see teens engaging in physical contact. Then again, my daughter doesn't take her boys to any non-Jewish stores. If she buys them pant/shirts in Walmart etc, she buys it without them & takes it home to try on. Of course not everyone has time/inclination for this.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 12:47 pm
I ask mine if they would rather not have the book, or censored (unless it's already censored).

I read everything. Even kiddy books can have meshugas now. I even found a book as old as me, with a very nasty image inside. I wondered even if it's not trolled or something... but I was shocked. You never know. Preview movies also, of course, or at last use the parental guide on IMDB...

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 12:55 pm
Yeah, it seems like it depends greatly on what community you're from and how sheltered your children are.

My mother once gave me a book of short stories and put Xs next to the ones she didn't want me to read. I didn't read them. But that was individual stories. With a novel, your kid might wonder, "Am I missing something important."

I don't think HP books are indispensable works of literature. But if your kid really wants to read them, let him. The kissing scenes won't ruin him.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 1:05 pm
Oy. I can't even begin to tell you the number of books that I enjoyed growing up that my children will either never read or will read at a much older age.

I think you also have to know your individual children and how they will react to certain things.

Depending on your child and where you are, it's okay to give them Harry potter and say 'not jewish ppl may engage in this behavior, but we don't.' and have that be okay.

becky

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 1:12 pm
I found the bloody parts more inappropriate for kids. when I refused to allow my daughter to read The Hunger Games, she said , "but it's not worse than Harry Potter!".

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 6:47 pm
becky wrote:
I found the bloody parts more inappropriate for kids. when I refused to allow my daughter to read The Hunger Games, she said , "but it's not worse than Harry Potter!".

ITA!

MommytoB

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:01 pm
My kids had no idea what snogging was and they didn't ask! Since it was not integral to the story they moved past that part quickly.

amother

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 6:42 pm
Just had to let you know that The Borrowers surfaced in my house, and I am pretty sure I did not have to censor anything in the relationship between Spiller and Arriety.

(It would be obvious enough to my kids that we don't meet boys out rowing on the river, without a shadchan!)

But then, most things written before 1960 would have gotten past my censor intact.

Sigh. The Good Old Days.

Frumdoc

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 8:52 pm
I loved the borrowers, reread them for years. I think Arriety hero worshipped Spiller, but I don't recall any actual love interest.

I also adored the Narnia series, which I read again and again until I discovered, aged about 15, that it was a whole christian analogy, and the whole fantasy was ruined for me. I still think it may be ok to read them as long as there is absolutely no knowledge or suspicion of the religious parallels, as they are such beautiful fantasies in their own right.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 10:56 pm
I think Arriety actually ends up marrying Spiller. I'm about to re-read the whole series - I will let you know.

about narnia - I was also v disappointed...

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 11:57 pm
I guess it would have passed my sensor, cuz I don't even know what snogging is. (And neither does my autocorrect, cuz it kept changing it to sniffing.) I had to look it up.

debsey

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 4:49 pm
I had a long DMC with DS about it - finally, I did the smart thing and just ASKED the kid. He said he'd rather read it with the blacked out parts. He said if I tell him that what is blacked out isn't essential to the plot, he's happy to miss it. But he wouldn't want to start reading something where if I had to black out a part, it would have been essential to the plot. That's too annoying, according to him.
Ma, why would I WANT to read something not tznius? he asked in true wonderment. I'm glad he's still such an innocent.
I did notice - we were at someone's house and their kids were watching Frozen - I don't show my children non-Jewish movies ever, but it was playing in the background, so I was hardly going to yank my kids away. When there was a mild kissing scene - my son instinctively picked up his hand to cover his eyes. He didn't make a big production, it was natural.
I'm happy he can do that. He's not at the level that he wouldn't watch the movie when the other kids are watching (though we came in the middle so I don't know if he was following it much) but I'm glad that his instinct is to cover his eyes.
I still wouldn't show him a non-Jewish movie, even ones I enjoyed growing up - but it seems that even with his sheltered upbringing, he "gets" the purpose and by himself wants to protect that.
I'm rambling here - and I realize that - this is such a complicated parenting issue for me.
debs

allrgymama

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 6:13 pm
Frumdoc wrote:

I also adored the Narnia series, which I read again and again until I discovered, aged about 15, that it was a whole christian analogy, and the whole fantasy was ruined for me. I still think it may be ok to read them as long as there is absolutely no knowledge or suspicion of the religious parallels, as they are such beautiful fantasies in their own right.

The same. My mother bought the whole series for me when I was 9 or 10 and I thought they were the most amazing thing in the whole world. I still think they are, and do my best to ignore the analogy. I also try to not be bothered by the problem with Susan.

(Wherein she is denied return to Narnia -heaven - because she discovered lipstick and nylons)

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:30 pm
Reporting back on Arriety. (In Borrowers Afloat or Aloft, I forget which) Miss Menzies tells her about her cousin (Aubrey, I think) with whom she did everything, they were like bro & sis, & then he married s/o else. Arriety says, he should have married you!

Later she comments to her parents, I think I'll marry Spiller. But I'd better let him know, before he marries s/o else like Aubrey.

In The Borrowers Avenged, however, she meets Peregrine (o/w known as Peagreen) who is an Overmantel and seems to cramp Spiller's style somewhat. Alas, we'll never know...

amother

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 10:47 pm
My children's school alters books, including Green Eggs and Ham . Every mention of the word "ham" in the book, including in the title, was changed to "beef". When the teacher took out "Green Eggs and Beef" to read to the class, my son raised his hand and said, "I thought it was called Green Eggs and Ham", and his teacher said, "I guess it isn't".

I don't even know why they did this. If they felt compelled to change it, I think they should've changed it to "lamb" so it would at least rhyme.

My middle schooler has also commented about the censoring in her schoolbooks. All references to x-mas, the age of the Earth, and small children holding hands are removed from fiction or nonfiction books.

My highschooler was took an AP course on American history. The class was reviewing a practice exam, and one question asked about the Stonewall protests. The teacher hastily instructed them to ignore the question and apologized for not removing it earlier.

Amother because I've discussed this with people I know.

debsey

Post Fri, Jul 18 2014, 2:06 pm
I don't mind references to X-mas, non kosher food, and even things like evolution. I think my kids get that the rest of the world has different ways of doing things than we do.
I don't like non-tznius things because I think those kind of lurk in your head. I know there are things I've watched or heard or read that sometimes pop into my head at inappropriate times. I don't want to to do that to my kids.
debs

SRS

Post Sat, Jul 19 2014, 11:40 pm
What is snogging?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics