Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Appetizer idea for this heat

ruby slippers

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 11:29 am
Was going to make chicken soup for dinner tonight, but just stepped outside and it is a little warm- can't decide if I should stick with the soup or do a fruit soup(which my recipe is way less healthy and full of sugar- but yummy). I asked dh for his opinion and the darling man was so helpful and said it is up to you- ahh! Any ideas- What is everyone doing for appetizer tonight?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 11:32 am
eema1 wrote:
Was going to make chicken soup for dinner tonight, but just stepped outside and it is a little warm- can't decide if I should stick with the soup or do a fruit soup(which my recipe is way less healthy and full of sugar- but yummy). I asked dh for his opinion and the darling man was so helpful and said it is up to you- ahh! Any ideas- What is everyone doing for appetizer tonight?

Don't do appetizer at all in the summer months when Shabbos starts so late. Entree (and dessert if we stay awake that long) is quite enough. Sorry I can't help!

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 11:33 am
Gazpacho.

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 12:01 pm
I just skip soup in the summer. There's enough to eat in my main course, and Shabbos starts so late we're not interested in sitting through multiple courses. Challah, fish, then chicken + salad + side

ruby slippers

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 2:32 pm
Was not going to do the fish as we are having it tomorrow- Any other easy ideas?
Thanks!

kb

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 2:35 pm
I never understood this... what do you eat for supper the whole week that you can have challah fish soup and a main course with a salad a side? We never eat that much by any meal, and shabbos is no different.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 4:52 pm
I always serve hot soup Friday night (and almost every night of the week) because I love soup. For shabbat day, my appetizers are strawberry rhubarb soup, strawberry peach soup, avocado cucumber soup, mango gazpacho, tomato gazpacho, cucumber pineapple gazpacho, cold zucchini basil soup, big green salad and quinoa salad, fake crab salad, meat borekas with hummus and israeli salad, lox and crackers with salad, or melon slices or grapefruit halves. Maybe one of these ideas will appeal to you.

ruby slippers

Post Fri, Jul 11 2014, 5:08 pm
Thanks so much for the great- ideas- I caved and am going with the fruit soup- but the avocado cucumber soup sounds interesting- when you have a chance after Shabbos could you please share.
Thanks!!

ruby slippers

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 10:22 pm
Thanks again to everyone who helped me with ideas. There was someone who posted a recipe for chocolate cake in a crockpot, which I made-awesome delish!!! But I ended up spilling some oil on the page I printed . Thought I would come back tonight and copy it again- but the post is not longer here. Whoever posted the chocolate cake in the crockpot- it was a lava cake or cake on top with a creamy pudding center- so yummy- could you please repost or message me with the website.
Thanks!!!

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 2:23 am
This is the basic idea for the soup: http://www.picklesnhoney.com/2.....soup/

I add cilantro, cumin, garlic, jalapeƱo and then salt and pepper it to taste. It's really good with a generous amount of garnish, like some combo of the following: fresh tomato salsa, fresh mango salsa, corn, tortilla chips, cilantro, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics