Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
How do you peel a banana?

how do you peel a banana?
from the top, the stem  
 89%  [ 66 ]
from the bottom, like monkeys ;)  
 5%  [ 4 ]
other  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 74

yo'ma

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 9:46 am
Do you peel it from the top, the stem, or the bottom? I've always done it from the top and then a friend of mine said the correct way is from the bottom. That's the way monkeys do it and I guess if you want to learn the right way to eat a banana, you learn from monkeys Smile Rolling Eyes , but then again, when was the last time you saw a monkey throw the peel in the garbage Wink ? I did it a few times from the bottom, but then you always have that little piece that's on the bottom of the banana which I don't like. How do you peel it? Very Happy

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 9:50 am
I usually open them from the stem (what you call the top), but if they are not so ripe or difficult to twist, then I just pinch what you call the bottom and peel like a monkey. It's easier to pinch the bottom and allows for a more intact banana!

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 10:17 am
I laughed when I read this because I have always opened it from the top, the stem, it is the easiest way. Takes a second.

But last week my kid decided that they have to open it from the bottom. And managed quite nicely. I thought it was so weird.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 11:11 am
I'm the one who voted like monkeys. I switched a few months ago after being told it's the correct way, and it's so easy! Just give a little pinch because there is an air pocket, and there is no stuck peel no matter if it's just barely ripe...

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 11:29 am
when its a perfectly ripe banana and the stem peels no problem I do it from the stem.

if it gives me the slightest bit of resistance I pinch the bottom and done.

so I picked other

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 11:36 am
Wow. I never heard of doing it from the bottom. I thought it must be a southern hemisphere thing.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 12:28 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Wow. I never heard of doing it from the bottom. I thought it must be a southern hemisphere thing.

My dd did it yesterday from the bottom and that's why I posted, but I don't know where she learned it from. My friend that I mentioned that says she does it that way I met in NY and she's from one of the stan countries, but grew up in Israel. Not a southern hemisphere thing Wink .

Lady Bug

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 2:29 pm
Other - I cut a slit lengthwise through the peel and then cut circles out of the banana. Then I peel each circle, starting at the slit, while I eat. Somehow, the banana flavor is less overwhelming that way.

busydev

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 2:40 pm
my halacha teacher in 10th grade (talking over 10 years ago) told us about opening it like that and said that some rav(maybe Rabbi Kamentesky?- not sure which one) said to open it that way since that was the way it was intended to be open or something.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 3:17 pm
other

there is no option for throwing it against the wall till soft and getting out my spoon....

I feel obligated to post this:

http://www.amazon.com/ss/custo.....nts=1

Barbara

Post Fri, Aug 08 2014, 3:26 pm
8 -- count 'em, 8 -- ways to peel a banana

http://www.wikihow.com/Peel-a-Banana

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 6:52 pm
busydev wrote:
my halacha teacher in 10th grade (talking over 10 years ago) told us about opening it like that and said that some rav(maybe Rabbi Kamentesky?- not sure which one) said to open it that way since that was the way it was intended to be open or something.

So how to peel a banana is now a matter of halacha? I have a hard time believing that.

I voted from the top, but I recently read (on one of those "You're doing it all wrong" sites) that doing it from the bottom was better. I tried it, but I still prefer doing it from the top.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 11:16 am
Barbara wrote:
8 -- count 'em, 8 -- ways to peel a banana

http://www.wikihow.com/Peel-a-Banana

Thanks. I'll have to open it when I have time and see if there are any new ideas there for skinning cats.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics