Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Question about Daniel

miami85

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 10:16 am
I never learnt Sefer Daniel but I had to look something up, and my husband recently decided to learn it so I asked him why it switches from Hebrew to Aramaic, but we haven't found an answer.

Did any one learn why it switches and then switches back?

miami85

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 10:31 pm
Anyone?

smilingmom

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 10:51 pm
The Aramaic is a difficult Aramaic dialect.
I think the writer chose that text for the parts of Daniel that prophesize about yemos hamoshiach. Purposefully choosing language that will be hard to understand for this esoteric subject.

etky

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 1:13 am
smilingmom wrote:
The Aramaic is a difficult Aramaic dialect.
I think the writer chose that text for the parts of Daniel that prophesize about yemos hamoshiach. Purposefully choosing language that will be hard to understand for this esoteric subject.

Yet most of the chapters containing Daniel's visions are in Hebrew, not Aramaic. Davka the narrative chapters dealing with of Daniel's life and the miracles wrought on his and his friends' behalf are the ones in Aramaic.
When I learned sefer Daniel we were told that one possible reason for the use of Aramaic was a literary one - the desire to reflect the book's exilic setting and to underscore its post-destruction exposition and mind-set.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics