Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Is this gross?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Who is right, me or DH
Justanothermother is a super balubusta.  
 32%  [ 13 ]
I'm not coming to you for a Shabbos meal.  
 67%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 40

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 2:47 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

greenfire

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 2:50 pm
I wasn't being mean ... I was actually commending you on deciding to change this ... it was like an interchange ... a discussion ... but oh well sorry I guess ...

SouthernShalom

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 3:07 pm
I do the table sweeping thing too!!! Hey somebody please yell at me tooo.
I need the attention! Very Happy Very Happy I thought green's replys were funny and said in jest not witchiness. However that little pot behind her avatar may have thrown you off.
I just wanted to point out that there are bacteria everywhere. If your children touch the floor and then touch the table ,you now have bacteria on the table. If something falls on the floor for just a second and you pick it up and place it on your table,you just spread the bacteria on the table. It is everywhere. There is prob. more bacteria on your doorknobs in your house than there are on the broom. I am sure that you touch these and then put your hand to your mouth at some point. Also one survey I read said that the bottom of a womans purse has more bacteria than a toilet seat. We prob. clean the toilets more frequently than our purses.My point is that we are constantly injesting bacteria. FYI ...I will still sweep my table.

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 3:17 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 3:32 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 3:42 pm
SouthernShalom wrote:
I do the table sweeping thing too!!! Hey somebody please yell at me tooo.
I need the attention! Very Happy Very Happy I thought green's replys were funny and said in jest not witchiness. However that little pot behind her avatar may have thrown you off.
FYI ...I will still sweep my table.

yes my cauldron has mistaken me for a witch time and again ... but if you'd like to use my flying broom ... well ... then ... maybe Wink

Crayon210

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 3:46 pm
I think that most people don't really do too much scientific study before deciding if they will put brushes on the table or unwashed fruit in their mouths. It's usually something you grew up with (or didn't grow up with), I.e., socially decided. I'm not about to go out and buy a microscope and figure out if I should clean this or that with this or that.

The OP asked for opinions, and most people gave their gut reaction: it's gross! Why? Because we don't generally put things from the floor onto the table. Zehu. Yes, there might be more bacteria on the dinner plates than on the broom, but these decisions aren't really based on rational and scientific study.

Take the opinions or leave them, but I don't understand the logic in arguing or debating them.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 4:20 pm
justanothermother wrote:
Just a question. To all who are so grossed out, do you wash fruits that you plan to peel? Consider this: Take a banana or orange from a bowl of fruit. You don't know if it has been sneezed on or rolled on the floor or what might have happened to it before it showed up in your kitchen. You peel it and eat pieces with your hands. Even if the hands are clean to begin with, after touching the dirty fruit peel, whatever contaminants -- dirt or microorganisms -- that were on the outside of it are now on your hands.
Consider another scenario. Slice a chunk of watermelon. If disease-causing bacteria are on the outside of the melon, they easily can enter the fruit via the knife blade if the outside of the melon hasn't been washed.

I wash all my fruits when I bring them home from the grocery. Many of my friends have teased me because they think it is excessive. I scrub my cantalope and I wash my watermelon. And yet, if I asked them about the broom thing, I wonder how they would react.

so she makes up for it by washing her fruit ... I have thought of that and on occasion wash a cantaloupe or watermelon too ... I so hear you there ... washing negel vasser in the kitchen sink and no soap in bathroom these are a few of my favorite things - not -

TzenaRena

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 4:54 pm
I assume you don't use the same broom to clean off the fleishig and milchig tables (tablecloths) Confused

I wipe my tables with clean disposable paper towels. Yay for paper towels. I don't like shmattes, because they aren't disposable, so you either have to wash them right away, or let the shmutzeke shmatte sit on the counter somewhere, uch.

Just to let you know I voted for you jam, because I always stick up for people like me, who keep trying, even if they aren't perfect. Wink

shoy18

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 5:03 pm
I have a special sweeper for the table, it uses the same thing as a carpet sweeper, its great.

But using a broom on the table is a bit gross, however if you use antibactrial spray to clean the table after its not the biggest deal in the world, I wouldnt do it but...

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 5:05 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

shoy18

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 5:05 pm
I have a special sweeper for the table, it uses the same thing as a carpet sweeper, its great.

But using a broom on the table is a bit gross, however if you use antibactrial spray to clean the table after its not the biggest deal in the world, I wouldnt do it but...

red sea

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 7:12 pm
Oh yes, I do wash fruits & veggies too, with soap! I dont like the thought of athletes foot spray on my oranges.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 8:09 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
I assume you don't use the same broom to clean off the fleishig and milchig tables (tablecloths) Confused

lol Nervous

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 12:39 am
I also have this little tiny broom and dust pan specially for the crumbs on the table.

chanadownunda

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 3:08 am
Justanothermother, I think that if your husband doesn't really mind, or if you could explain it to him so he doesnt mind, you should continue to sweep your table. From the sound of it, you are a very neat and clean person and your broom is very clean. I'm also assuming that the crumbs that you are sweeping up are dry crumbs and your broom isn't covered with dust balls and dried on dirt.

Unfortunately, my broom often gets wet dirt on it and I frequently clean off dust balls so I have to say that I would consider it gross to put MY broom on my table, but for you, with 3 adhd kids... if it saves you time, I think its just fine!

SouthernShalom

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 12:13 pm
O.k. I can't do it anymore. D.H. Has never mentioned it. I asked him about it last night. He said,I have NEVER seen you do that ! THAT IS GROSS! He said it has nothing to do with germs. It just looks and sounds disgusting. I will have to get a hand broom for the table. 8)

happyone

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 2:05 pm
um. .Yes!

queen

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 2:10 pm
justanothermother wrote:
I was discussing the topic with DH and he mentioned something I do which he thinks is gross. I just wanted everybody's opinion.

feel free to get e/o's opinion, but if it bothers your husband- isn't his opinion your most important one???????????????

(get a mini broom like 613 mentioned)

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 2:37 pm
If you walk around in white socks in your house and they stay white, I'm definately coming to you for Shabbos Wink It sounds like your floor broom is cleaner than my little table broom Smile

Oh, yes, but I do agree that if it bothers your husband, you should get a separate little broom.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics