Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Hot chani
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 6:34 pm
chevi1 wrote:
Is a hot chAni equivalent to what is called a frecha in israel?

This, and a post somewhere else about a different nasty word that can be applied to Jewish women (the one with "princess" in it) led me to think - the world has a bunch of insults for Jewish people, and we've got a bunch of insults for Jewish women ...

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 6:38 pm
forever21 wrote:
I have a more important question: Why do these women feel the NEED to dress up like that?? ...

What I'd like to know why why people NEED to (or just feel like doing so) talk about what other people wear.

forever21

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 6:47 pm
Wow Maya, I never said I dress like a shmatta. I said I prefer being comfortable and dont wear tight fitting clothing (aside from the obvious tznius aspect of it).
why would you come to the conclusion that I dress like a shmatta from me saying I dont wear tight clothing, tons of makeup and a long long shaitel? you know, it is possible to dress comfortably and look good at the same time!
As something ive heard "you should dress attractively and not attracting". Im sorry if you dont know the difference.
And no, I am not jealous and insecure bec I dont dress like that bec if I wanted to I could. truth is, I think im pretty without the tight clothes and thick makeup.

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 6:53 pm
forever21 wrote:
Wow Maya, I never said I dress like a shmatta. I said I prefer being comfortable and dont wear tight fitting clothing (aside from the obvious tznius aspect of it).
why would you come to the conclusion that I dress like a shmatta from me saying I dont wear tight clothing, tons of makeup and a long long shaitel? you know, it is possible to dress comfortably and look good at the same time!
As something ive heard "you should dress attractively and not attracting". Im sorry if you dont know the difference.
And no, I am not jealous and insecure bec I dont dress like that bec if I wanted to I could. truth is, I think im pretty without the tight clothes and thick makeup.

The same way you came to the conclusion that those who don't dress as comfortably as you do have a void in their lives. The lesson here is to never make stupid assumptions.

forever21

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 7:03 pm
your response to my initial post was so HARSH. to write "what a horrible post" is a little extreme, dont you think?? If I offended you Im sorry. I was simply stating my opinion based on a few factors. You can disagree with me, but there really is no need to react with such anger just bec I feel a certain way and you disagree with me.
I still feel that people that wear tight clothing are dressing that way for a reason. You want to call me insecure and jealous bec I wouldnt feel comfortable walking around with a skirt that outlined every part of my lower body?Then so be it.

Shoelover

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 7:06 pm
Op here, just came back from the mall and wow..... For the record I love getting dressed up, no husband stealing ij mind lol

Maya

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 7:08 pm
I don't think my post was harsh at all. Yours, on the other hand...

Dandelion1

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 7:11 pm
It's not just a jewish phenomenon by any means. I worked at one point with a diverse group of women and let me tell you, the nonjewish women were extremely vocally critical of one particular individual who dressed in an extremely provocative manner. I'm glad (I suppose?) for the posters who say oh I don't care who prances around in front of my husband in skimpy clothing, but I think a more common truth would be that many women don't feel comfortable with other women's overt z-xulaity being flaunted in front of their husbands/ boyfriends/significant others. A passerby on the street does exactly that... passes by. But a friend/ relative/ neighbor who is over for an afternoon is just not something many women would feel comfortable with... By all means, dress as you see fit, but many women, Jewish and otherwise, might find your company less than desirable.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 11:09 pm
The only problem I would have with a hot Chani - one who dresses completely covers everything in a very provocative way- would be if she or her community considered that style more tznius than an mo woman wearing regular jeans and t shirt.

I do feel that many reactions here come from a place of insecurity and jealousy though.

black sheep

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 11:14 pm
ora_43 wrote:
But that wouldn't be true Confused .

I don't like the term dumb***, but if someone asks me what it means I'm not going to be like, "Oh, it means a donkey of sub-par intelligence."

It isn't "true" it is an offensive way of referring to frum women dressing a certain way. All these explanations and descriptions are mean, just as the term is mean. This whole thread is mean.

ronbonboo

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 12:07 am
What is a "hot chanie?"

A term used to describe a woman who follows the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law when it comes to tznius. The Halacha requires your knees to be covored in a skirt/dress. But when it's too right that I can see your panty line there is a a problem. Seeing your knees is a lot less s-xual then your underwear!!!! Another example is your shirt. The Halacha is that you can't show your elbows, collar bone and midriff. When I can see your bra, or your shell is so nude I have to do a double take to see if you are even wearing one, that is a problem. And the sheitel well even a single girl it's not tznius to have hair down to your tush point blank so when married and wearing a wig it's not appropriate either. Oh and the "hooker heels," the fact that, that is what they are referred to makes them untznius.

It's not judging, it just an understanding. I was taught I am allowed to be attractive but not attracting. So I can wear heals and wedges but not in colors or heights that make you stare at my shoes. I can wear makeup and a gorgeous sheitel but not too much or too long.

chevi1

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 2:50 am
imasoftov wrote:
This, and a post somewhere else about a different nasty word that can be applied to Jewish women (the one with "princess" in it) led me to think - the world has a bunch of insults for Jewish people, and we've got a bunch of insults for Jewish women ...

Frecha is a negative term? Im so sorry heard it recently was trying to figure out....

Barbara

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 8:19 am
sequoia wrote:
But not wearing skin-tight clothes doesn't make you a shmatta or a dishrag or any of those things.

I don't think Maya does, either. She was demonstrating how nasty and judgmental statements like that are.

I don't think that women who wear long sheitels and fitted clothing have a "void" in their lives, or any of that other nastiness. I think they enjoy looking nice, and that's their taste.

IIRC, you favor longer skirts. Hopefully that's because you like them, and look good in them.

No void anywhere.

ETA, but like the judgmental poster, I feel bad. I feel bad for women who judge other women this way.

ronbonboo

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 8:31 am
Chevi1 I fb ought she was talking about a JAP Jewish American Princess. I just don't understand the Bais hamikdash wasn't destroyed bc I wear pants when camping. It was destroyed bc of sinas chinam. So if you want to tell me how do to something better great otherwise stop pointing your finger at me and judging me bc you know what they say 1 finger at me but 3 pointing at the pointer. If you have tznius insecurities don't judge others on their or lack of.

MamaBear

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:08 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these women rub others the wrong way because non frum women who dress like this often dress so on purpose. To get attention from others, whether male or female. They want to look hot. But when frum women do it, they often insist they look modest, their knees and elbows and necklines are covered. They claim they don't want attention. It seems hypocritical. They claim to adhere to the laws of modesty yet not seem to actually reflect the intent of them.

Shoelover

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:17 am
I don't think someone who is technically tzniut (but dressing Se xy) is more tzniut than someone in pants that are classy. But it is more brazen to put on pants than a tight skirt

itssimplyme

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 9:29 am
I think pants are far more modest than a tight skirt, especially those that are so tight around the bottom. I'm not pedantic about tsnius by any means but I can't understand how women can wear skirts that reveal their bottom so much. When I try skirts on I'm so conscious of that, I'll return a gorgeous skirt for that reason alone. Honestly apart from the reason that pants are men's clothes, they are more modest than some skirts that some, not all, frum women wear.

Kitten

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 10:01 am
I didn't read through all this thread. A hot chani is a woman who basically dresses zexy but still remains within the halachic guidelines of tznius. It is believed that the woman who dress this way does it in order to get attraction. In real life, she might deliberately seek attention from other people, and thus be provocative, or just like the look. Of course, hot chanis are mostly perceived as such within communities who have specific standards of tznius.
I think that women who are so preoccupied with how other women look should really get a life of their own, but that's just my personal opinion.

mazal555

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 10:56 am
chevi1 wrote:
Is a hot chAni equivalent to what is called a frecha in israel?

No, frecha is a Racist term for a Sephardic woman and is closer in meaning to bimbo. It is sometimes used to describe Sephardic women who are dressed at all flashy and are presumably dumb. It is extremely offensive and makes me want to punch people.

It came to be because Sephardim never had some of the restrictions that some Ashkenazim had on dress, such as wearing red or wearing obvious makeup, so these things were not considered low class to Sephardim but some Ashkenazim looked down on us.

ora_43

Post Mon, Aug 18 2014, 11:42 am
MamaBear wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these women rub others the wrong way because non frum women who dress like this often dress so on purpose. To get attention from others, whether male or female. They want to look hot. But when frum women do it, they often insist they look modest, their knees and elbows and necklines are covered. They claim they don't want attention. It seems hypocritical. They claim to adhere to the laws of modesty yet not seem to actually reflect the intent of them.

This, and also I think because in some places it's become a bit of a negative stereotype and people worry they'll be tarred with the same brush.

It's kind of like if a man wearing a kippah is caught soliciting a harlot. "Oh, those frum men - they pretend to be so modest, but look what they're really doing." It's embarrassing by association.

Obviously wearing tight clothes is not nearly as bad. But it also creates a stereotype. "Oh, those frum women - they're so 'modest,' right, I wear tank tops and I'd be embarrassed to wear that." Again, embarrassing by association. Creates a knee-jerk reaction of seeking to disassociate from that person.

I don't think it's a fair stereotype, but that doesn't really change things. (Related to MamaBear's point, in that the negative stereotype draws on the seeming hypocrisy. People love to prove to themselves that those who seem to think they are better are actually not.)
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics