Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
P'S'A'
1  2  Next

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:20 pm
I just wanted to clarify something for the apostrophe-challenged: Apostrophes are used in contractions and to make a noun possessive. Possibly some other instances. BUT an apostrophe is NOT used to indicate a word is plural. All you do is add an s, or es, or change a y to ies.

Thank you.

Lady Bug

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:26 pm
Auto correct sometimes changes it for me - maybe for some other people as well?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:50 pm
Lady Bug wrote:
Auto correct sometimes changes it for me - maybe for some other people as well?

Really? Wow. OK, I'm retroactively DLKZ everyone.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 4:55 pm
is now the time to mention that "rediculous" isn't an alternate spelling for the real word, RIDICULOUS. ???

(yes, spelling errors make me crazy.)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:09 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
is now the time to mention that "rediculous" isn't an alternate spelling for the real word, RIDICULOUS. ???

(yes, spelling errors make me crazy.)

The post that was a catalyst for this had other errors but I'll cut people slack. I see what happens when I text, and my phone keyboard is bigger than some others I've seen. But I do feel your pain ;-)

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:12 pm
trust me, I've seen those recent apostrophe catastrophes. we grammar nerds each have a particular pet peeve. together we can change the world.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:38 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
trust me, I've seen those recent apostrophe catastrophes. we grammar nerds each have a particular pet peeve. together we can change the world.

Without capitals, yet Dancing

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:46 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Without capitals, yet Dancing

snap...

in my own defense, I will tell you that as a writer with ADD it's a whole lot easier to first pour the words onto the page before double-checking. invent of the internet forced me to do things more quickly, so this became my shortcut. that's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:52 pm
It's OK, Vintage. I type from my computer which has a dedicated desk and separate keyboard. My understanding is that it's a lot easier to skip caps on phones, etc. so again, this is where I can cut slack. I just thought it was cute bordering on ironic that you eschew capitals. Hope I didn't make you uncomfortable.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 5:56 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
It's OK, Vintage. I type from my computer which has a dedicated desk and separate keyboard. My understanding is that it's a lot easier to skip caps on phones, etc. so again, this is where I can cut slack. I just thought it was cute bordering on ironic that you eschew capitals. Hope I didn't make you uncomfortable.

nope, we're cool. Wave

(and I can't escape using caps when I'm in mobile apps.... so it's like I'm two people!)

acemom

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:59 am
Every one has a different pet peeve. For grammar nerds it is incorrect grammar.

I also can't stand when something is grammatically wrong or misspelled, but my pet peeve has become all the "PSAs" about it. Very Happy

It doesn't seem like a PSA changes much anyway. It only becomes a "venting ground" for all the grammarians on here.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:08 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
nope, we're cool. Wave

(and I can't escape using caps when I'm in mobile apps.... so it's like I'm two people!)

At least on Android, most of the good keyboard apps will automate capitalization -- enter 2 spaces and you automatically get period, space, capital. Or enter a period and you'll automatically get a space and then a capital.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:12 am
OOTBubby wrote:
At least on Android, most of the good keyboard apps will automate capitalization -- enter 2 spaces and you automatically get period, space, capital. Or enter a period and you'll automatically get a space and then a capital.

this is what happens on iphone... it sometimes happens here. *I* automates to I... so much for independence...

mandr

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:27 am
The cursed greengrocer's apostrophe!

While we're discussing the apostrophe:

it's = it is
its = belonging to it

were = plural of was
we're = we are
where = referring to a place
wear = what you do with clothing

your = belonging to you
you're = you are
ur = short for urine.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:31 am
mandr wrote:
The cursed greengrocer's apostrophe!

While we're discussing the apostrophe:

it's = it is
its = belonging to it

were = plural of was
we're = we are
where = referring to a place
wear = what you do with clothing

your = belonging to you
you're = you are
ur = short for urine.

ur? I call foul. didja think we wouldn't catch that??? Cool

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:38 am
The correct spelling of the pronoun for referring to the second person, singular or plural is "you" not "u".

Y'all (pl.) is an acceptable alternative, only when the speaker is from the south or southwest.

Last edited by Ima2NYM_LTR on Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:03 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
An the correct spelling of the pronoun for referring to the second person, singular or plural is "you" not "u"

Y'all (pl.) is an acceptable alternative, only when the speaker is from the south or southwest

I think you meant "and".
And you forgot a couple of periods. LOL

bookworm10

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:05 pm
I'm all for grammar. But when using an iphone, it auto corrects everything and it is very annoying to punctuate.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:08 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
I think you meant "and".
And you forgot a couple of periods. LOL

True.
I am also at work and trying to type quickly between calls, questions, emails and emergencies, going back and forth between imamother and other screens multiple times. This, of course, interferes with my train of thought and when I did post, I was in a rush and did so without proofreading. While this is not a valid excuse, I hope you will forgive me for my sins.
Very Happy embarrassed

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:17 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
True.
I am also at work and trying to type quickly between calls, questions, emails and emergencies, going back and forth between imamother and other screens multiple times. This, of course, interferes with my train of thought and when I did post, I was in a rush and did so without proofreading. While this is not a valid excuse, I hope you will forgive me for my sins.
Very Happy embarrassed

I grant you complete absolution. Now go and try to sin no more.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics