Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Middle Name Ideas for the Name Emma??
1  2  Next

Which name do you like better?
Emunah (nickname Emma)  
 23%  [ 17 ]
Ma'ayan  
 18%  [ 13 ]
Eliana  
 58%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 72

amother

Post Wed, Aug 20 2014, 11:17 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm pregnant with my first and expecting a girl. We love the name Emma and think we'll call the baby Emunah when naming her at Shul, but we can't come up with a middle name that goes that we like. We are very into the modern-Israeli names...

Thanks!!

Becky

Miri1

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:12 am
I've encountered Maayan twice - once female, once male. The noun itself is masculine - not sure how you'd figure out whether it's used more often as a female or a male name....

It's meaning is beautiful though.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:19 am
I love Emunah!

Eliana is really common. Maayan is nice but also increasing in popularity (at least where I live).

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 8:23 am
Does anyone have any ideas for middle names for Emma/Emunah?!?

Choirmistress

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:04 am
Hi, "another amother".

I am absolutely fascinated by given names and their origins and meanings, but before I can make suggestions, I need to know a few things:

What are you trying to match? First name only? Surname only? Both? If so, what are they?

Do you want to match the meaning? The sound?

Do you want a Hebrew equivalent of Emma? Do you want an English middle name that will match Emma? And if so, is it for the meaning or the sound?

Regards,
Choirmistress

Choirmistress

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:15 am
Hi again.

Kindly ignore my reply of a few minutes ago. I did not see the earlier versions of the thread, in which you offered a narrowed-down list of just three.

Of those three, I think I prefer Emunah.

I have a next-door neighbor, born in Israel (but VERY irreligious), named Amnon. I don't know what the feminine equivalent would be, but the MEANING is definitely related to Emunah. ("Amnon" = "believer", masculine singular; "Emunah" = "belief, faith".)

There are only two Hebrew feminine names I like enough that I decided years ago I would give to my own daughter if I had one, irrespective of any family members to honour with their own names: Tehilla and Chassina. I love both their sound and their meanings.

Have you considered looking up the meaning of Emma before deciding? Maybe there's a precise Hebrew match?

Regards again,
Choirmistress

shevi82

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 12:13 pm
Emunah is a nice name.Why do you need a middle name?
If you like a name you like it, you don't need to add more names on to it.

If you like Maayan, what about Meital it also means water.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:03 pm
My daughter's english name is Emma. We don't call her that regularly but it sounds like her Hebrew name.

When the Uncle Moishe song plays: I said "M" I said "Mi" ... Mitzvos.
She always thinks he is saying "Emma". It is cute.

mazal555

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:09 pm
I like Emma flora, if it was me. But if you want an Israeli name I would do Maayan. It's very common for girls. I never met a man named Maayan.

How about Emma Sara? Or Emma Lital? Emma Nofar?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:22 pm
Hi OP- are you asking for a middle name for Emma or Emunah? If you want to use the name Emma, I thought you said that Emunah would her Hebrew name?

I like Maayan and Eliana very much. I would say Eliana is easier to pronounce than Maayan so for that reason alone I would go with that probably, even though Maayan is beautiful. But I also really like Alana. I'm not sure if it's a Hebrew name though, but I think it's really pretty.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 1:51 pm
Why does she need a middle name? For her wedding invitation? If there's no reason (like the middle name is after someone) why have a middle name? How about just a middle initial? Actually I think the classy way is to have the initial first.

CatLady

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:34 pm
Quote:
Why does she need a middle name?

So she knows when you're really made at her! As in "Emma Faith, get over here right NOW!"

I am suggesting Faith as a middle name, because it's the literal translation of Emunah and I think the two English names go well together.

mazal555

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 2:55 pm
No I always wished I had a middle name, give her a middle name, please

cheeseblintz

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 4:15 pm
Don't name her Emma! It's so overdone.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 5:16 pm
My cousin named her kid Emunah Temima and we all thought it was weird.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 6:46 pm
cheeseblintz wrote:
Don't name her Emma! It's so overdone.

You are the parent and get to choose the name. I love the name Emma and don't think it's overdone at all. What does it mean for a name to be overdone anyway?

I think emunah and emma are very cute together. You can do Emunah Maayan, I think they sound beautiful together and the meaning is lovely, or emunah maya (as in faith from God). I like the name Eliana but generally people save it for a baby they have been praying for (as in a couple who was suffering with infertility) but that's obviously not a rule.

SorGold

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 7:02 pm
My coworker has a daughter Emma Rose. If ur not using hebrew you can do Emuna Raizel. Its Yiddish I know but sounds nice.

mazal555

Post Thu, Aug 21 2014, 11:23 pm
How about Nesya?

amother

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 3:29 am
What about something that goes with the meaning? The only thing that came to mind was "Emunah Tzemacha" - growing emunah. But I'm sure there are other ones.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 22 2014, 7:26 am
Both Flora and Emma are used by Sefardim (Ladino names).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names