Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is it weird

momtra

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:33 am
I have a wedding tomorrow night - is it weird to wear a mostly white dress at night? ( it's black and white but mostly white )

Motherlee

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:38 am
In my opinion, if it's not long, it's ok.

little_mage

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:53 am
While I don't think a white dress at night is a problem, it's generally considered bad manners to wear white to a wedding. It's seen as competing with the bride.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 9:54 am
would avoid
would also avoid any long dress unless you're the mom

rockingbells

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 11:46 am
I didn't see any of my families gowns until my wedding. My SIL wore a floor length white gown. I thought it was kind of weird but don't care that much, but that's me.

I'd say nobody would even notice if you wear a black and white dress/outfit. Doesn't sound very bridal to me.

Kitten

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:20 pm
I personally wouldn't wear a white dress because the kallah is, even if my dress doesn't look like a gown. But I would wear a white blouse under a cardigan.
I did see close relatives (mother, sister, etc.) who wore beautiful white gowns that really looked like wedding gowns (and probably were), which can be confusing if you don't know who the kallah is. I also saw guests wearing long white fancy maxi dresses.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:26 pm
I wouldn't wear white to a wedding. I just think that white is for the kallah only on such a day. Also, I know this is pretty unbelievable but I was once at a wedding in Israel and a lady wore a white dress, looked like a wedding dress and many people went up to her and thought she was the kallah. It was very embarrassing and I think, very rude. I know you say it's got black in it, but you could try to find any other colour, how about pink/turquoise/purple?

Barbara

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 12:28 pm
Kitten wrote:
I personally wouldn't wear a white dress because the kallah is, even if my dress doesn't look like a gown. But I would wear a white blouse under a cardigan.
I did see close relatives (mother, sister, etc.) who wore beautiful white gowns that really looked like wedding gowns (and probably were), which can be confusing if you don't know who the kallah is. I also saw guests wearing long white fancy maxi dresses.

That's just wrong. You don't want to be that person everyone talks about, and rightfully so, years down the line. Never wear anything that in the wildest, most perverse imagination of anyone, could be construed as a wedding gown unless you are the bride.

ElTam

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 2:14 pm
I was raised you don't wear white, red, or black to a wedding. White because you look like the kallah, red because you are drawing attention to yourself on someone else's special day, and black because isn't a happy occasion. The black thing went out the window when I became frum, but I still think wearing white or red to a wedding is tacky.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 2:27 pm
I also wouldn't wear black to a simcha, it's not showing you are happy. Or maybe a very bright black with lots of accessories...

debsey

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 3:49 pm
I think it depends on what is "done" in your circles. I would not do it.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:00 pm
Oh don't. You might as well not. Who needs it.

Listen to Barbara.

debsey

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:02 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Oh don't. You might as well not. Who needs it.

Listen to Barbara.
dolly and barbara- u both have such a common-sense style. I loveit! I'm coming around to your way of thinking - just don't risk it.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Aug 24 2014, 4:29 pm
Barbara wrote:
That's just wrong. You don't want to be that person everyone talks about, and rightfully so, years down the line. Never wear anything that in the wildest, most perverse imagination of anyone, could be construed as a wedding gown unless you are the bride.

In some circles it's not only acceptable, but often expected that the mother and sisters of the bride/groom wear white dresses. The bride is clearly distinguishable by her head piece and veil.

That said, I don't think anybody outside that circle should wear white.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics