Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Where are you from?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 6:24 am
French. Raised "lite MO with heimish leanings", or something. Lite on halacha strong on minhag and old school, conservative minded.
Became FTB, less conservative than my education was but still very much so on issues of drugs...

Rodent

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:38 am
Live in Sydney, Australia. Originally from a town with no Jews, or none that were religious and living there long term anyway.
We are Jewish mutts, technically Sepharadi but my husband has a mixed background and I'm a gioret. Everyone thinks we're chassidic because my husband has long peyot but it's only because he likes them, we're probably stringent modern Orthodox by ideology, or just plain Jewish.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:50 am
I am chassidish, satmar in fact. And hey yes I've smoked weed. More than once. Im not proud of it, but like most american teenagers I went through the phase, had to try it, enjoyed it for the time being and then went on to the next thing on the 'things-to-do list.

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 10:56 am
I'm from Kiev, moved to the US at the age of five. MO/ Conservadox.

Don't drink alcohol or coffee ever. Herbal tea and books are the only mind-altering substances I like.

That being said my roommate and her yeshivish-bum druggie boyfriend persuaded me to try weed once and it only made me feel sick. Good thing she has since dumped that loser.

rachel91

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 11:01 am
rachel91 wrote:
I was born in Russia, moved to Ukraine, then to Germany when I was 2,5. I grew up there, my mum and me became religious when I was 12, since there was no man around, we didn't affiliate with any group.

At 14 I moved to antwerp, Belgium. Still living there.
I married someone who is (more or less) chabad.

Sorry, didn't realize we had to mention, whether we ever smoked weed or not.
No, I never smoked weed, or took any other drugs, most that I've smoked was half a cigarette.
And I also don't like alcohol. (eventhough I'm from Russia Very Happy )

rednavy

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 11:43 am
Does this remind anyone of an AA meeting? Very Happy

I grew up in Lawrence and live here now.

Myself included, many of my friends tried weed once they were married...

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
Is Ork anywhere near New 'Ork? Tongue Out

Close. Newark.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 1:20 pm
Rodent wrote:
Live in Sydney, Australia. Originally from a town with no Jews, or none that were religious and living there long term anyway.
We are Jewish mutts, technically Sepharadi but my husband has a mixed background and I'm a gioret. Everyone thinks we're chassidic because my husband has long peyot but it's only because he likes them, we're probably stringent modern Orthodox by ideology, or just plain Jewish.

OT but as the mother of two girls - and someone whose friends are all making girls, girls, girls, I'm glad to see someone is making some boys too! Smile

(Seriously, all my friends who gave birth the same time as me had girls, so most of my friends have 2 just like me.)

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 1:44 pm
rednavy wrote:
Does this remind anyone of an AA meeting? Very Happy

I grew up in Lawrence and live here now.

Myself included, many of my friends tried weed once they were married...

My dh and I grew up mo in nj went to secular colleges and never smoked weed or did any drugs. Fine with a drink but not into doing anything illegal.

Rednavy, not trying to be judgemental but can you explain why you and your friends were ok doing something illegal once married? I more get high schoolers or young college kids trying it to be cool or wild.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:17 pm
Grew up in boro park, Flatbush area. Went to boro park litvishe schools. Come from an open minded, educated, heimeshe family.

Never dreamed of smoking weed. Or any drug. I'm addicted to food though. Very Happy

Am married to a heimeshe, educated, learned guy. Send our kids to litvishe brooklyn schools. Wear long sleeves and cover my knee but have no problem with normal internet use, reading secular newspapers or watching a show at night to relax. Am very conservative in many ways but I also resent and hate the rigid, narrow and extreme attitudes seeping into the Chareidi world.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:44 pm
Russia, moved all over the world, BT for a about 20 years. Plain frum heimish litvish, married, respected, educated, etc. Smoked weed in my 20s, had fun embarrassed still before I found out what frum jews are all about.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
I am chassidish, satmar in fact. And hey yes I've smoked weed. More than once. Im not proud of it, but like most american teenagers I went through the phase, had to try it, enjoyed it for the time being and then went on to the next thing on the 'things-to-do list.

but unlike most jewish teenagers...

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 2:52 pm
Grew up in Miami, went to BY. My family is very right (although my mother is more yeshivish than my father) and my husband is very right, but I am not as right as they are.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:03 pm
Enjoying this thread immensely.

I am South African. My parents were mekareved through bnei akiva but then leaned more towards chareidi(I think)

I went a lubavitch school and then beis Yaakov so you can imagine how mixed up I am.

My nusach is completely mixed up and maybe my hashkofa too?Sometimes I say succos, sometimes sukkot. My parents always commemorated yom haatzmaut and at school it was a no no, (I am still learning the words for hatikva.)

I then went to a beis yaakov seminary were I thought the world would come to an end if I didn't marry a guy in learning.

I ended up marrying a BT. he works, but is passionate about learning, is kovei ittim and is currently doing daf yomi. He wears a hat on shabbos but jeans sometimes on a sunday. My kids go to a chareidi school but they still watch disney. I teach at a chareidi school, and at the same time am working in the big wide world. I dress completely tzanua, but sometimes in summer I wear closed shoes, a long skirt and no stockings. And yes, I sometimes wear reddish nail polish.

So now, I ask all those amothers out there, what category do I fit into?

I have never smoked weed, probably only the equivelant of half a cig in high school. My dh makes up for me on all accounts, but he has done complete teshuva:)

As much as I would like to post this under my screen name, I have given way to much info to remain anonymous in South Africa.

Emily Thorne

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:

I am South African. My parents were mekareved through bnei akiva but then leaned more towards chareidi(I think)

I went a lubavitch school and then beis Yaakov so you can imagine how mixed up I am.

My nusach is completely mixed up and maybe my hashkofa too?Sometimes I say succos, sometimes sukkot. My parents always commemorated yom haatzmaut and at school it was a no no, (I am still learning the words for hatikva.)

I then went to a beis yaakov seminary were I thought the world would come to an end if I didn't marry a guy in learning.

I ended up marrying a BT. he works, but is passionate about learning, is kovei ittim and is currently doing daf yomi. He wears a hat on shabbos but jeans sometimes on a sunday. My kids go to a chareidi school but they still watch disney. I teach at a chareidi school, and at the same time am working in the big wide world. I dress completely tzanua, but sometimes in summer I wear closed shoes, a long skirt and no stockings. And yes, I sometimes wear reddish nail polish.

I have never smoked weed, probably only the equivelant of half a cig in high school. My dh makes up for me on all accounts, but he has done complete teshuva:)

As much as I would like to post this under my screen name, I have given way to much info to remain anonymous in South Africa.

why, thank you! Very Happy I thought it might be nice to see with what type of women we're chatting with all night and all day! Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:

You fit perfectly into the frum joburg category Smile and no, I dont live there, but my husband is from there and we have visited probably 5 times in the last 9 years. I have seen the south african joburg frum community and it is a unique one. Really. And you described so many people how they are. Just frum, with some possible charedi leanings, but everyone is just frum and some watch tv, others dont, but they are all together in their frumkeit. I thought it was a beautiful frum community.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:16 pm
Shabbat, you are right!
There is a more chareidi element but most of the people I associate with are just like me.

Its nice that there aren't "boxes" and you can be frum but also a bit different. This is why it would be hard to move away.

imaima

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:

Sounds like I belong into Johannseburg

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:35 pm
My daughter just asked me for dates in my family history- my earliest ancestor arrived in Hamilton, Canada in 1880. The latest in 1905. All my grandparents were born in Hamilton except my 'immigrant' grandmother who was born in Detroit and had a BA from Wayne State University.

Our ancestors were both frum and not frum. We were brought up in a kosher (not to orthodox standards) home eating out and not shomer shabbat or chag BUT we celebrated holidays and no one was allowed to go out friday night unless it was to someone else's shabbat table or a Jewish youth group thing.

We started on a path to greater observance in 2005 when my husband's father died. It's a journey. Hamilton is an out of town community with all kinds of Jews. We have a lot of achdut.

I am not really sure what I would call myself. I don't always cover my elbows. I wear a lot of skirts because I am short and fat. I don't cover my hair. We are very machmir on shabbat and yom tov as well as kashrut. I don't want to comment on TH because its basically not an issue. Lets just say I am not niddah and I go to the mikvah once a year before rosh hosh.

I am a' go to' person in my community about practical kashrut and work for the local vaad hakashrut as a mashgicha.

My kids are in public high school. One has special needs and one didn't want to travel 3 hours a day round trip. She is in an advanced programme with a bunch of nerds like her.

I smoked pot a couple of times. It made me nauseated and then I fell asleep. Big Whup. Not.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 07 2014, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
but unlike most jewish teenagers...

I cared about my judaism back then like any american teenager cares about religion. ( Bh, things are different now and my actions have not become a self fulfilling prophecy.)
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics