Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for friend who finished her basement

momtra

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:53 pm
I would like to get a gift for a friend who just had her basement finished.
There is a bedroom, a sitting area and a play area.
Any ideas??

Fave

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:57 pm
Not sure what your price range is. Can be anywhere from an afghan/ decorative pillows for the sitting area to a linen set for the bedroom. Please let us know how much you'd like to spend.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 8:57 pm
why is this a gift-giving event? honestly, I'd feel uncomfortable if a friend gave me a gift for this. the finished basement is the best gift at that point anyway.

Fave

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:07 pm
Why do you care about the reason for the gift giving occasion.

Maybe OP would like to use this as an opportunity to thank her for a favor, or maybe she's planning to use the guest bedroom in the near future.....

Or maybe it's just because

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:23 pm
you're right. it's not important. but I'll tell you why I wonder about this. I have friends who like to send me gifts when I'm not expecting them. not frequently, but every once in a while, when I really don't see the point. I thank them profusely, but these gifts are not usable. they often buy me things to hang on the walls/decorate with. I don't like being put into the position of feeling obligated to hang something up if I don't like it. the number of wall clocks I've gotten as gifts is way too high. and I got one because a relative decided I needed a clock in my dining room. she likes to be able to see the time when she's there. I don't like the look of a clock in that room, and I'm fine with checking the time in the kitchen when necessary. I really dislike having people try to decorate my home to their tastes. but if the giver is a frequent visitor in my home, I risk insulting her by not hanging the gift up. had I just finished my basement, I would really not welcome any gifts. I'd be very annoyed to receive great-aunt sheila's macrame wall-hanging from the seventies to hang over the guest beds. I'd be equally annoyed to receive a steam-punk clock, a talking clock, a farting clock, a bedspread, a framed picture of fruit, a curlicued decorative mirror, throw pillows, an afghan, a storage ottoman, etc. finishing a basement is not a gift-giving event, I wouldn't want to be placed in a sticky situation because a friend tried to be cutesy and turn it into one.

that being said, op, if you MUST give a gift, I'd stick to a nice board game. you say there's a playroom involved. a board game can be stored away, you're likely not to get anything inappropriate, and it won't make your friend feel awkward if she doesn't use it. I really wouldn't go beyond small play item.

momtra

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 9:40 pm
Thanks for the replies - didn't think of it from that perspective- definiteley rethinking the whole idea now...

hot pink

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:25 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
you're right. it's not important. but I'll tell you why I wonder about this. I have friends who like to send me gifts when I'm not expecting them. not frequently, but every once in a while, when I really don't see the point. I thank them profusely, but these gifts are not usable. they often buy me things to hang on the walls/decorate with. I don't like being put into the position of feeling obligated to hang something up if I don't like it. the number of wall clocks I've gotten as gifts is way too high. and I got one because a relative decided I needed a clock in my dining room. she likes to be able to see the time when she's there. I don't like the look of a clock in that room, and I'm fine with checking the time in the kitchen when necessary. I really dislike having people try to decorate my home to their tastes. but if the giver is a frequent visitor in my home, I risk insulting her by not hanging the gift up. had I just finished my basement, I would really not welcome any gifts. I'd be very annoyed to receive great-aunt sheila's macrame wall-hanging from the seventies to hang over the guest beds. I'd be equally annoyed to receive a steam-punk clock, a talking clock, a farting clock, a bedspread, a framed picture of fruit, a curlicued decorative mirror, throw pillows, an afghan, a storage ottoman, etc. finishing a basement is not a gift-giving event, I wouldn't want to be placed in a sticky situation because a friend tried to be cutesy and turn it into one.

that being said, op, if you MUST give a gift, I'd stick to a nice board game. you say there's a playroom involved. a board game can be stored away, you're likely not to get anything inappropriate, and it won't make your friend feel awkward if she doesn't use it. I really wouldn't go beyond small play item.

Maybe you'd like to generously donate some of these gifts to the kind hearted OP to give to her friend?

Barbara

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:28 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
why is this a gift-giving event? honestly, I'd feel uncomfortable if a friend gave me a gift for this. the finished basement is the best gift at that point anyway.

Many people would give a housewarming gift the first time they saw the new room.

And while I've certainly read here about people like you, who are offended by people's good will gestures, I've certainly never encountered one.

If you know the color of the bathroom, I'd give a couple of guest towels or guest soaps.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:32 pm
hot pink wrote:
Maybe you'd like to generously donate some of these gifts to the kind hearted OP to give to her friend?
I've already generously donated them elsewhere. to people who specifically wanted them.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:35 pm
Barbara wrote:
Many people would give a housewarming gift the first time they saw the new room.

And while I've certainly read here about people like you, who are offended by people's good will gestures, I've certainly never encountered one.

If you know the color of the bathroom, I'd give a couple of guest towels or guest soaps.

I guess housewarming for a newly finished basement is a foreign concept to me. I am not offended by the gesture of gift-giving, I am annoyed at the circumstance in which it places me. guest towels or soaps would be appreciated, but while I have read here about people who might give those, I've certainly never encountered one Wink

but I'd avoid monogrammed towels unless the recipient specifies that she'd like them.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:17 pm
I totally agree with Mummiedearest.

etky

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 1:06 am
Funny this topic should come up.
My friend just completed a remodeling of her entire apartment.
I saw online a picture of a runner for her dining room table that fits in perfectly with her new color scheme. I was thinking of picking one up for her as a housewarming gift next time I was at the mall.
Now I'm having second thoughts.....

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:27 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I guess housewarming for a newly finished basement is a foreign concept to me. I am not offended by the gesture of gift-giving, I am annoyed at the circumstance in which it places me. guest towels or soaps would be appreciated, but while I have read here about people who might give those, I've certainly never encountered one Wink

but I'd avoid monogrammed towels unless the recipient specifies that she'd like them.

What about a sx towel?

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 3:32 pm
A couple of bean bag chairs for the playroom. A ping pong table. One of those rugs with a race track on them. A linen set.
There are dozens of things you could buy. What's your price range?

sprayonlove

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 4:59 pm
Mummiedearest does have a point about the decorative item gifts. I would stick to a few neutral items like fluffy white towels, candles, soaps, things of that nature.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 30 2014, 5:33 pm
DrMom wrote:
What about a sx towel?

sure, if the recipient oks it. (and specifies which poem to embroider on.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics