Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Buyer Beware- Do you check for Supermarket errors?

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 3:18 pm
A Supermarket in B.P. has Bertolli Olive Oil on display as 13.99, now on sale for 7.99.
When you get to the register, the item gets scanned and the original price of 13.99 is charged. This might be an innocent error, where the sale price was not put into the store computer, but it's $6.00 on one item, and that's quite a difference.

The store gave credit for the item.

mumoo

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 3:27 pm
you are so right!

you have to check your receipts (and bills to the house) EVERYWHERE you go.

some stores give you the item free if the register rings up a price different from the posted one.

also, don't believe everyone you talk to in customer service. My computer monitor had a short. The first five people said there was nothing they could do because it was over a year and out of warranty. The 6th person I talked to said monitors are covered for 3 years. They are sending me a new one.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 3:38 pm
sure. you have to. and train your kids, too!

chen

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 5:16 pm
Of course I do. The week that there is NOT an error is the odd one out. My supermarket manager depends on me to point out to him all the sale items in my basket that are scanning incorrectly. their data entry person is very....human.

Mevater

Post Tue, May 15 2007, 5:20 pm
chen wrote:
their data entry person is very....human.
I hate saying this, but any chance the store management wants him that way?

RedTwizzler

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 1:39 am
I catch errors very often! I actually love going shopping with my husband or s/o else because it's convenient to have someone else put the items on while I check the items being scanned at the register. It's such a hassle to catch mistakes after e/t is paid for already.
Also, I found a double charge on my credit card statement from a supermarket in Brooklyn, and it's happened 2x! Computers and humans make mistakes so you have to check everything!

mandksima

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 3:31 am
It goes both ways. Yesterday, I was charged twice for an expensive item (167 shekels with a discount of 65 shekels = 102 shekels I was owed back) so I went back to get my money back and the cashier gave me the 167 back instead of the 102. I pointed out her mistake and I paid back 65 shekels. Whoever is in the wrong needs to pay even if it isn't in your favor. I also find mistakes every time I go shopping. In America, the larger chains will give you the item free for overcharging. Here, the cashier was so harried, she forgot to say thanks. Maybe she was embarrassed from her mistake.

e1234

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 3:49 am
my experience is that in Israel they go by what the register says.
many times things are marked wrong but they go by the register and not by what's marked

sky

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 8:50 am
I always check my reciepts. I have found mistakes, sometimes a mis priced item, sometimes too many or few items, and sometimes the guy just held his hand on my zuchhinis when weighing and I get charged for 7 lbs when I've bough 2 small ones Smile

Some stores will only give you the sale price though if spend over X dollars on non-sale items. Is it possible that is what happened.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 12:51 pm
Not only that, but some states have scanner laws that require the store to give you the difference and then some.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics