Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Electricity on yom tov

amother

Post Sat, Oct 18 2014, 8:29 pm
Is there any leniency with electricity on yom tov. Can you eat by a family member who turns lights on and off on yom tov and plugs in the hot plate and crock pot before Shabbos for Shabbos following yom tov ( because they don't use electricity on Shabbos )

catonmylap

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:28 am
on the 2nd day of Yom Tov in chul? Like they are Israeli and keeping only 1 day?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:41 am
There are many rabbis that allow and allowed electricity on yom tov. This might actually shock you, and I am talking about respected rabanim. Some allow only turning on, some allow only off and others allow both. Here goes a list( this list was made by a chacham):
1903- Rabbi Yehiel Michal Epstein (author of ‘Aroukh HaShoulhan) in Bet Va‘ad LeHakhamim allows turning lights on on Yom Tob.

1903- Rabbi Yosef Yehoudah Strazberg (author of Yad Yosef, & Ab Bet Din of Makasov, Galitzia) in Bet Va‘ad LeHakhamim also allows turning them on.

1912- Rabbi Refael Aharon Ben Shim‘on (Chief Rabbi of Egypt) (He wrote this in 1901) in his OuMissor Debash allows turning them on.

1913- Rabbi Binyamin Aryeh HaKohen Weiss in his Eben Yeqarah allows turning them on.

1924- Rabbi Yehouda Youdil Rozenberg in his Maor HaHashmal in Montreal, Canada allows turning them on.

1932- Rabbi Reouben Margaliot in his Nefesh Hayah allows turning them on.

1934- Rabbi Yosef Messas (Rabbi of Tlemcen, Algeria and Meknes, Morocco and Haifa, Israel) in his Mayim Hayim allows turning them both on and off and he reiterated his position in numerous other places.

1934/35- Rabbi Sebi Pesah Frank (Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem) in Qol Torah allows turning them on.

1935- Rabbi Ben Sion Meir Hai Ouziel (The Rishon LeSion himself) in his Mishpete Ouziel allows both turning them on and off and he reiterated this in 1947.

1936- Rabbi David HaKohen Saqli (Rosh Ab Bet Din in Oran, Algeria) in his Qiryat Hanah David (volume 2) allows both turning them on and off.

1945- Rabbi Eliezer Yehoudah Waldenberg in his famous Sis Eliezer (volume 1) allows turning them on.

1948- Rabbi Masoud HaKohen in his Pirhe Kehounah (Casablanca) allows turning them on.

1964- Rabbi Shraga Faivel Frank in his Toldot Ze-eb allows turning them on.

1973- Rabbi Shabetai Sheftel Weiss in his Hilkhita Rabeta LaShabeta allows turning them on.

1976- Rabbi David Haim Sheloush (Chief Rabbi of Netanyah for 50 years) in his Hemdah Genouzah volume 1 allows both turning them on and off on Yom Tob.

Geulanow

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:03 am
It is correct that there were certain great Poskim who ruled leniently regarding turning on electric lights on Yom Tov. Some Poskim, though, ruled leniently on this matter because they did not quite understand the reality of how electricity actually works, for some of them mistakenly thought that turning on the light does not create a new fire, rather it only a “transfer” of fire. They got this idea from some people who presented themselves as “experts” in the field of electricity who claimed that the fire created by the electricity is already present in the electrical wires in the bulb, and by pressing the “On/Off” button (or flicking the switch), only a “transfer of fire” occurs, and there are instances when one can be lenient regarding such things, as we have discussed in previous Halachot. This explanation is surely mistaken, for the electricity stored in the wires is not fire, and this rationale cannot be used to rule leniently.

Nevertheless, Hagaon Harav Tzvi Pesach Frank zt”l, Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem, also ruled leniently regarding the usage of electricity on Yom Tov, his reasoning being that the only time we find a prohibition to produce a new fire on Yom Tov is only when one does this with his own hands, however, if one does so in an indirect way, igniting a fire on Yom Tov will be permissible. He discussed this matter at length and goes on to explain how pushing the “On/Off” button is not considered an actual igniting with one’s hands, and thus, he rules leniently on the matter regarding using electricity on Yom Tov, although clearly if one would do this on Shabbat, he would be transgressing the Torah prohibition of desecrating the Shabbat.

Maran Harav Ovadia Yosef Shlit”a deals with this matter at length in his Sefer Ma’or Yisrael on Masechet Beitzah (page 33a), and he concludes that there is absolutely no room for leniency regarding usage of electricity on Yom Tov, unless one tells a non-Jew to turn on the electrical devices, in which case there is room to be lenient. He writes similarly in his Sefer Chazon Ovadia-Yom Tov (page 53).

Similarly, Hagaon Harav Yisrael Yaakov Fisher zt”l and other great luminaries from the previous generation have discussed the matter of using electricity on Yom Tov, upon which they ruled that there is no difference between Shabbat and Yom Tov in this matter; just as it is completely forbidden to use electricity on Shabbat, the same applies to Yom Tov, and one may not be lenient regarding electric lights or any other electrical appliance for that matter.

There are those, however, especially in some communities outside of Israel that are customarily lenient regarding usage of electricity on Yom Tov. Maran Harav Shlit”a writes that one need not protest vehemently and tell them that they are transgressing a serious prohibition, as there are several opinions among the Poskim upon which they may rely. Nevertheless, if one comes to inquire whether or not usage of electricity is permitted on Yom Tov, we must respond that there is no place for leniency. This is indeed the prevalent custom among our communities, as we ban the use of electricity and telephones on Yom Tov, just as we would on Shabbat; this is based on the consensus of the great Poskim.

Thus, one may not bake in an electric oven on Yom Tov unless he has set the timer to turn on the oven for a certain period of time during Yom Tov, in which case the use of such an oven will be permissible. The same applies with regards to an electric mixer, as we have explained above.
http://www.halachayomit.co.il/.....=1991

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:15 pm
I can't help thinking, as usual in modern times the machmir opinion has prevailed... Every time I've been stuck home due to pregnancy, or simply afraid in the dark stairs carrying a shrieking kicking kid.

Bruria

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 12:49 pm
I believe it actually makes sense here that many poskim do allow electricity on yom tov, anyone that understands physics knows that electricity is not fire, it is actually different.

Fire is not electricity in anyway, and I highly doubt that anyone that has a degree in Physics would say they are the same.

Nevertheless, there is a taboo concerning this issue, primarily because let's face it: most people do not have profound knowledge in science, and that includes many rabbis who prohibit this, even though in the past in the sephardic world it was a very common thing to do.

mille

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 2:04 pm
Bruria wrote:
I believe it actually makes sense here that many poskim do allow electricity on yom tov, anyone that understands physics knows that electricity is not fire, it is actually different.

Fire is not electricity in anyway, and I highly doubt that anyone that has a degree in Physics would say they are the same.

Nevertheless, there is a taboo concerning this issue, primarily because let's face it: most people do not have profound knowledge in science, and that includes many rabbis who prohibit this, even though in the past in the sephardic world it was a very common thing to do.

The other argument I've heard is that it involves "closing a circuit" which would fall under the whole "finishing touch" thing. But in many applications of electricity, that doesn't even make sense.

I don't think that electricity will become allowed by orthodox rabbis on the basis of that it is absolutely not in the spirit of the day -- which I totally get. But imo there should realistically be room for a situation like OP's. (That's my "I am not a rabbi" opinion of course!)

5*Mom

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 2:06 pm
IIRC, it has to do with building/completing a circuit.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 2:51 pm
So you would have to de-build it before the end of aforementioned yt... right?

It's one of the things that I must say I don't "get" so much, not meaning for the fun of it but for the sheer, REAL need. Harder things have been allowed by tradition or/and kvod habrios.

Frumdoc

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 6:35 pm
I was of the understanding that because heat is emitted as a side effect of most electric circuits being completed, ie light bulbs, phones, etc, most of which warm up as they operate, this was one of the issues. Certainly, light bulbs, or the older type, emit 90% of their energy as heat and only 10% as light. Although modern led types are much more energy efficient.

But I have never looked into it carefully, this is just what I have been told in various shiurim and by those who have been into the halachot in detail.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 6:58 pm
My rabbi says that there is an acceptable lenient opinion followed by many sephardim to allow using electric appliances for cooking on yom tov (things like mixers, electric toasters, etc.). The basis for this is that the electrical energy that the appliances use is already flowing in the circuits in your wall. By plugging in and turning on the appliance, you are just extending the existing electricity flow into the appliance. This is just like lighting a flame from an existing flame. This opinion is not universal, even among sephardim.

Pita

Post Sun, Oct 19 2014, 10:46 pm
Rabbi Auerbach (from what I read) said opening and closing a circuit is no more building than opening and closing a door. He felt electricity should be allowed both on Yom Tov and Shabbat (electric lights were another matter, depending on the type of bulb). But he didn't want to go against the majority.

chani8

Post Mon, Oct 20 2014, 12:14 pm
Pita wrote:
Rabbi Auerbach (from what I read) said opening and closing a circuit is no more building than opening and closing a door. He felt electricity should be allowed both on Yom Tov and Shabbat (electric lights were another matter, depending on the type of bulb). But he didn't want to go against the majority.

Well now, my son will be thrilled to know that he's in good company for thinking this, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions