Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to respond to child's questions on Hashem? maybe a book?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 11:56 pm
My 8 year old asked me how we know Hashem is really out there? What if it's made up etc. I told him that we learned from our father's, father's father....but I wish I had more direction in what to say. is there a children's book on Hashem or Emunah that anyone recommends?

Ashrei

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 12:05 am
Wow, what a bright and pensive 8yo, may it always serve him well.

If my child asked that question, I'd probably say something like this:

"That's an amazing question. It shows what a deep thinker you are and how smart you are. There are many answers that prove Hashem is there, and when you're older there are many different books you can read. Even now, I can look into finding a Rabbi to explain it, or a book for your age...

It is difficult to explain, but you'll see that great questions like this will only make your relationship with Hashem stronger as you learn more about Him and ask more questions.

I'm proud of you."

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:59 am
You could tell him the story of Avraham Avinu, who lived in a time when just about nobody believed in Hashem and his own father worshiped idols, but he looked at the awesomeness of the world and realized it had to have a creator. If DS is the type to appreciate, get an intricate science book with great pictures and share the awe of living in a divinely designed world.

I can't imagine any 8-year-old needing more theology than that but then again I haven't seem em all...

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:21 am
Get rid of the "out there" part.

If you can bring HKBH "in here" that's what a kid wants. Most kids view "out there" as waaaay out there, meaning "not really important to me, and not on my way to school".

I like the kid videos on chabad dot org which feature Rabbi Infinity and his feisty little granddaughter and their pet dog. This is my favorite:

http://www.chabad.org/multimed.....h.htm

chani8

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 3:25 am
I like what Ashrei said.

We have some cynical thinkers in our family, and on the subject of, Does G-d exist, I'm open to the fact that each person has to decide for themselves what they believe to be true.

mo5

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:29 am
For a slightly younger child there is a great book called 'the invisible book' published by Hachai.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 6:56 am
I think the first step is to educate yourself so that you feel knowledgeable enough to answer his questions.

Once you are totally sure and you know enough reasons for yourself to believe that Hashem really exists, then you will be able to begin teaching him. That's when good books might be helpful- together with your own knowledge. But teaching him something from a book when you are not so sure of the answer yourself is not going to make much of an impression on him.

The story of the Rabbi and the athiest comes to mind- the one where the Rabbi shows the athiest a sunset and asks if that could have been "just a mistake". Or the guy who painted a beautiful painting and claimed that the paints just spilled by accident and that's how the painting came into existence. Obviously, this world is a work of art that didn't just create itself.

Personally, I would not tell my children that each person has to decide for himself if there is a G-d. Since I am %1000 sure He is there, I can't withhold that extremely important information from my kids. Whenever I see obvious Hashgacha Pratis, I point out to my children how nice Hashem is that He makes everything work out for the best.

Just a cute anecdote: When my children and I used to play trouble together, dd didn't have any pieces out for a long time. So every time she spun, she first said, "Hashem please help me get a 6, Hashem please help me get a 6." It became the thing to say whenever we play trouble. But I think this happened because it was ingrained in them that everything that happens comes from Hashem. (And of course, because Hashem helped them learn it so well.) And that's why it's important to educate yourself before teaching others something you are not so sure about.

pelle

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:49 am
There is a book by Genendel Krohn about this question, called "Who Is The Builder?"
It is very good and beautifully illustrated. I highly reccommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Buil.....05157

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 4:32 pm
OP here. thanks so much for each reply. just for the record Wink I do believe Hashem exists myself but didnt want to mess up on this very important teaching moment and say the wrong thing that is why I reached out for advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children