Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Oatmeal cereal for 6 month dd

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:18 pm
I am starting solid s and I put it in her bottle with formula(that she loves) but she refuses it. its so frustrating! I already blended the cereal to a fine consistency and I bought the y cut nipples and she doesnt want it. I cant start on fruit or vegetable. I need her to be full only cereal keeps you full and satisfied. maybe I should try rice or barley. what are your experiences.

acccdac

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 1:38 pm
Im a little confused.

the idea of starting food at 6 months is for the introduction and practice. Their main source of food is still breast/bottle. Of course they are allowed to eat the food if they like it.

I have never put cereal in a bottle, food is food and it goes in a bowl and served with my finger or food.
I try to not even put juice in a bottle. Bottles are for milk, cups are for juice.

I usually follow the following schedule:
rice cereal - day 1-3 (first 3 children were okay with it as a thick mixture, my current baby likes it very loose)
peas - day 4-6
green beans - day 7-9
carrots - day 10-12
sweet potato - day 13-15
I continue this pattern with oatmeal, barley, squash, apple, banana, pears, etc.

Once they've been introduced and the 3 days waiting period is over I do mixtures as well.

teddyb

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:02 pm
mix formula and cereal in a bowl and spoon feed it to her.

for first time you should make it more liquidy and then cut back on the liquid till its a thicker consistency.

smss

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
I am starting solid s and I put it in her bottle with formula(that she loves) but she refuses it. its so frustrating! I already blended the cereal to a fine consistency and I bought the y cut nipples and she doesnt want it. I cant start on fruit or vegetable. I need her to be full only cereal keeps you full and satisfied. maybe I should try rice or barley. what are your experiences.

your baby is so smart! that cereal is empty carbs and a waste of limited tummy space for a little baby. give her mashed avocado, it's high in healthy fats and will keep her full. plus it's yummy Smile

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 2:27 pm
acccdac wrote:
Im a little confused.

the idea of starting food at 6 months is for the introduction and practice. Their main source of food is still breast/bottle. Of course they are allowed to eat the food if they like it.

I have never put cereal in a bottle, food is food and it goes in a bowl and served with my finger or food.
I try to not even put juice in a bottle. Bottles are for milk, cups are for juice.

I usually follow the following schedule:
rice cereal - day 1-3 (first 3 children were okay with it as a thick mixture, my current baby likes it very loose)
peas - day 4-6
green beans - day 7-9
carrots - day 10-12
sweet potato - day 13-15
I continue this pattern with oatmeal, barley, squash, apple, banana, pears, etc.

Once they've been introduced and the 3 days waiting period is over I do mixtures as well.

I agree, but now they say not to give rice b/c high levels of arsenic are found. Bottles are for milk. Adding food to a bottle is empty calories that the baby does not need. She may need a few extra calories that a few spoonfuls of cereal would give her. If she took the bottle, she'd probably gain a lot of weight and there are studies that link overweight bottle-fed babies and obesity... not a good idea. I don't blame her for refusing. She probably thinks that her milk tastes funny and feels weird in her mouth. She needs to learn that food is something different than milk and that food comes from a bowl and a spoon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics