Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me get dd to fall asleep!!!desp!

Pinky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 3:07 pm
dd is 10 mnths old,never the best sleeper,
lately she can not put herself to sleep! I'm going NUTS!
she can cry for hours on end,whatever I will do won't get her to stop,
tried nurseing,putting her out of my room,swinging in the swing,holding/rocking her, (fresh air sometimes helps)....otherwise nodda!!

one night after trying to get her to sleep for 2hrs tried letting her cio going every few min to calm her, she just went on n on n on for over a hr till I just gave up,

pls help me help her put herself to sleep!!

Dev80

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 3:37 pm
Hugs, that's really hard, my middle child has never been a good sleeper and also had a hard time falling asleep, but I can't remember what techniques I used (besides wanting to pull my hair out...). I'm really sorry though and hope others can give advice Sad

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 3:56 pm
My kids are terrible sleepers. I trained my older one pretty well when she was over a year old. I just wrote how I did it on another thread: http://www.imamother.com/forum.....54905

My 2nd baby is a year old and still wakes up to nurse here and there, but I'm being lazy about training her again. But I did do the training as I described but not 100% (you have to do it 100% for it to work, really), and now she goes down without crying at all and can sleep for a few hours before the waking begins.

I definitely recommend the method!

Pinky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 5:05 pm
thank you dev80, happy to see someone 'survived' this stage!

amother, I read the post thank you I will try it tonight, hope it will work cus she doesn't know how to soothe herself, and relax, the minute she is wakes up she will stand up no laying still for even a min!

mandr

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 8:21 pm
How is the napping by day?

Pinky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:20 pm
I am usually out dureing the day,so she sleeps in the carriage,she can sleep for 1hr in the carriage ..

Tweedy

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:24 pm
She sounds exactly like mine was few days ago, literally few days ago, My baby is 11 months, bh , bah things are getting mich better, dr Weissbluth's book saved my life and sleep and hers! Highly recommend! Read the 5-12 months section first If you get it! And then read the rest afterward! Good luck

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....dir=1

mandr

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 9:37 pm
At 10 mos old your baby should really be getting two normal naps a day. A carriage nap isn't the ideal napping place.

Pinky

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:44 pm
Mandr I am looking for advice on how to get my dd to settle down for the night......

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Oct 28 2014, 11:57 pm
Is this teething?

Is she well?

Talk to the ped. "Hours on end" is a lot.

Food allergy?

Something you ate?

working hard

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 12:13 am
Can it be that she is overtired and cannot settle down. A 1 hour nap for a 10 month old is very little. And naps in a carriage are not as restorative. It seems that she needs more daytime sleep.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 1:00 am
amother wrote:
My kids are terrible sleepers. I trained my older one pretty well when she was over a year old. I just wrote how I did it on another thread: http://www.imamother.com/forum.....54905

My 2nd baby is a year old and still wakes up to nurse here and there, but I'm being lazy about training her again. But I did do the training as I described but not 100% (you have to do it 100% for it to work, really), and now she goes down without crying at all and can sleep for a few hours before the waking begins.

Not the OP FYI
So I read your informative post and my DS won't stay asleep like yours wouldn't (would wake up to eat but more of a comfort.) but he goes down to sleep easily. DS also doesn't take a pacifier. Tips? And how long did you rub your child's back each time? Until quiet or for a specific amount of time? I want to try it as I am desperate for a full nights sleep. The last time I slept through the night was after giving Motrin due to teething. (But Motrin was given in the middle of the night...he woke up in pain and was trying to chew everything poor thing) But before that? Not sure.
TIA!

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 1:24 am
This sounds like it is a change in her behavior, so I would think teething is the problem, even if you don't see any teeth yet. I had a very happy baby here, and then his behavior changed and he got so difficult with crying all the time, so we guessed it was teething. He was a wreck for a month waiting for those darn top teeth to come through. We gave him advil, and that really helped. We should've made "before advil" and "after advil" pics. Once the teeth popped through, he went back to his happy self.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 3:20 am
This is the amother who posted my sleep training method!

Basically, the first night was a disaster. It took I think an hour and a half for her to fall asleep. She would stand up, I'd go in at the specified time (literally, to the minute), put her back down in the crib, give her a pacifier and make sure she had some around her within reach, cover her with the blanket, rub her back for about 5 seconds, say I love you but it's time to sleep, and walk out again. She slept 2 hours, but then woke up again and again it took another hour and a half. And it went on like this the whole night. The next night was already better, it took a long time to put her to sleep but then she slept longer periods of time. By the 4th night, she was sleeping through the night.
[For my baby who doesn't take a pacifier, I gave her this small stuffed toy dog (from my sister who used to work for a company that gave her a few as a promotional item hahaha). Her gannenet asked me yesterday davka why she is always looking for something when she goes down for a nap in gan Wink]

The point with this method is to be extremely consistent. You don't pick them up no matter how much they're crying. I would only pick her up if it was so unbelievably hysterical that she couldn't breathe. But I had to be consistent through all the screaming and still put her back down, no matter how much she was crying. The reason you have to be so consistent is let's say the child screams for 2 hours, but then you pick her up. All of a sudden (subconsciously) she realizes, my mommy will pick me up eventually. So she'll just scream til she gets picked up. So when I go in to rub her back, I only do it for a few seconds, and she's still crying, but she feels I'm there and not abandoning her.

I like this method because the child never cries too long. The longest she cries in the whole 7-day plan is 17 minutes. You have to let her cry a little bit, but you go in often so she feels you are there for her, and you're being firm but loving.

FYI: It's hard to sleep train when the baby is teething! My 1-year old was teething for a few months literally non-stop, which is why I wasn't so good with the training. (and plus the walls are thin in our tiny EY apartment... haha!) I would wait to start the training once this teething session has calmed down a bit.

Also I'd like to agree with the other posts about the naps. Babies at 10 months should normally take 2 naps (although I have to say that my 1 year old stopped napping before 10 months, and it happened totally naturally without any intervention on my part). The morning nap should be around an hour or so, and the afternoon nap maybe around 1.5-2 hours, if I remember correctly (I can double check this though).

Sorry for this long post! I'm not an expert and I can't claim to help your child sleep, I just know what worked for us. I know this method has a 96% success rate if you do the method as described.

mandr

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 10:27 am
Pinky wrote:
Mandr I am looking for advice on how to get my dd to settle down for the night......
any sleep expert will agree that napping well is the key to sleeping well. A well-napped child sleeps better at night and enjoys going to bed. An overtired child finds it har to unwind in bed and protests bedtime.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 11:04 am
My dc was a miserable sleeper from day one. More than that, she just screamed day and night. Would rock her for 2 hours, he slept ten minutes...
At our wits end, we contacted a sleep coach.
Life safer. Literally.
Within 2 weeks, my kid was sleeping, at a normal hour, for the night! Without rocking, crying, holding etc.
It is invaluable to have your child sleep trained well, its. Gift for life. Both for you, and your child!
So for the first time in 7 months, Dh and I slept more than 2 hrs straight.
Here is the link
http://www.goodnightsleepcoaching.com/

amother

Post Wed, Oct 29 2014, 12:14 pm
I hired someone for this issue as I couldn't get my baby to sleep. She's a bit pricey, but now I sleep: www.batyathebabycoach.com

Pinky

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:

Finally got around to do your method,it b'h worked GREAT!!
After 3days I put her into the crib and she barely cries!

Thanks again!!

amother

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 1:19 pm
Pinky wrote:
Finally got around to do your method,it b'h worked GREAT!!
After 3days I put her into the crib and she barely cries!

Thanks again!!

I'm so glad to hear! Is she sleeping through the night at all?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics