Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Honestly now ... (about sefira and cheese cake)

Motek

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 10:56 am
So we're almost up to Shavuos. How many of us (collectively, the Jewish people) can honestly say that we are different people than we were on Pesach, after nearly 49 days of counting the omer, supposedly working on preparing ourselves for Mattan Torah? Sad

Although I've been counting, I cannot say I seriously (or unseriously) worked on anything.

On this forum, I see lots and lots of threads and posts on cheese cake and dairy and yom tov meals, but very little on preparing for Mattan Torah ...

anyone preparing for Mattan Torah?

Seraph

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 11:39 am
I wish I could say I'm on a higher level, but don't really know. I am constantly trying to grow, so hopefully I acheived something this omer...

And just because you brought it up, maybe I'd share a little thing about why there were 7 weeks between yetzias mitzrayim and shavuos.
When Hashem brought bnei yisrael out of mitzrayim, even the ones who weren't on a high level were automatically brought up to a high level, so that even the lowest maidservant was able to see yad Hashem at kriyas yam suf. However, that was instant judaism, instant inspiration, and something that comes to you that instantly doesn't stay. (Hashem gives this potential for an instant uplift in yiddishkeit every pesach.)
So after you come down from the high of pesach, now you have to work on yourself to manually reach the same high, in time for shavuos. But when you get high spiritually from an internal source, it takes much longer to acheive the same "high", but its lasting.
So we have 7 weeks after we come down from our artificial high, and bring ourselves up to a high level spiritually, this time, to a level that'll stick. And Hashem gives us special kochos during these seven weeks to help us acheive that goal.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 1:32 pm
breslov wrote:
I wish I could say I'm on a higher level, but don't really know. I am constantly trying to grow, so hopefully I acheived something this omer...

And just because you brought it up, maybe I'd share a little thing about why there were 7 weeks between yetzias mitzrayim and shavuos.
When Hashem brought bnei yisrael out of mitzrayim, even the ones who weren't on a high level were automatically brought up to a high level, so that even the lowest maidservant was able to see yad Hashem at kriyas yam suf. However, that was instant judaism, instant inspiration, and something that comes to you that instantly doesn't stay. (Hashem gives this potential for an instant uplift in yiddishkeit every pesach.)
So after you come down from the high of pesach, now you have to work on yourself to manually reach the same high, in time for shavuos. But when you get high spiritually from an internal source, it takes much longer to acheive the same "high", but its lasting.
So we have 7 weeks after we come down from our artificial high, and bring ourselves up to a high level spiritually, this time, to a level that'll stick. And Hashem gives us special kochos during these seven weeks to help us acheive that goal.

thanks for sharing breslov!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics