Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Birth Certificate replacement in NYC

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 8:46 am
We seem to have misplaced our infant's birth certificate. We were about to make a passport when we realized it was missing.

What is the procedure in NYC? How long does it generally take to get a copy?

Any advice would be appreciated.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 8:56 am
I hope someone answers... I habe the same question about marriage license.

mommish613

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 8:58 am
You can order it online with the department of health...google it, it should pull up right away

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:01 am
amother wrote:
We seem to have misplaced our infant's birth certificate. We were about to make a passport when we realized it was missing.

What is the procedure in NYC? How long does it generally take to get a copy?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Order it through the department of health. For a fee (maybe $35?, dont remember, it was a long time ago) you can get it expedited an have it in your hands in a few weeks (maybe 2?).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:05 am
https://www.health.ny.gov/vita.....h.htm

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:08 am
bureau of vital statistics - not sure if they could expedite a new certificate

take a few moments to think where you might look for it - sometimes it's right where it belongs [even in a mess]

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:20 am
If you go down in person to the department of health I think theyll give you a copy right away.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 10:50 am
OP here.

Still hoping it'll turn up somewhere.

We traveled to Canada a few months ago so I will recheck the luggage we used then.

Time to become more organized.... embarrassed

librarygirl

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:07 pm
I just did this. it's 15 a copy, plus about an 8 dollar lookup fee. You can get it delivered for free by regular mail , or pay 15 for ups. I did ups, since the usps lost my first one to begin with. it came in about a week.
What was cool was that inorder to verify you are who you say you are, they generate a test about you , past addresses, etc.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:42 am
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the link carefully

https://www.health.ny.gov/vita.....h.htm

Quote:
Where do I obtain a birth certificate copy for someone born in New York City?

The New York State Department of Health does not file and cannot issue copies of New York City birth certificates. For births in one of the five (5) boroughs of New York City (Manhattan, Kings, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island), please visit the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene web site. Please note that the borough of Kings is sometimes referred to as Brooklyn and the borough of Staten Island is sometimes referred to as Richmond.

I can tell you exactly what will happen if you send it to the NYS Department of Health. They will receive your check and request. They will write back and say that they cannot process your request and you need to go to NYC. Meanwhile, they cannot return your check, so they have to deposit it and issue you a refund, which could take 4-6 weeks.

I know, because I'm the one who used to issue the refunds (2007-2009) Vital records would compile a list of people who didn't read the direction and needed a refund, send the list to me, which I would them make into an order, which would then go to the Office of the State Comptroller to be eventually processed and mailed to you. Trust me- you don't want to get your money stuck in the bureaucracy.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:54 am
OP here.

I found this link that seems to be more accurate.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/do.....1.pdf

Quote:
https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/birth.htm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics