Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How many Amex Cards did you use - Small Business Sat. ?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How many Amex Cards did you use - Small Business Sat. ?
0 - 3  
 73%  [ 119 ]
4 - 7  
 14%  [ 23 ]
8 - 11  
 2%  [ 4 ]
12 - 15  
 2%  [ 4 ]
16 - 19  
 1%  [ 2 ]
20 - 23  
 0%  [ 0 ]
24 +  
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 162

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:27 am
It seems like they accepted it without real social security numbers. So u guess Amex was ok with it.
Anyways, who cares? Their accounts will prob be deactivated, and they will prob mess up their credit.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:42 am
Yes I know people that make up names. If you are interested read it all up on dans deals he helps you register and gives you advice on how to go around giving a social security number.

The people with the 200 cards and above don't have huge business with 1,000 employees.

And the people that I know that have Amex through their bosses their bosses did not ask for the Amex back. That would be such a petty boss.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:44 am
This is a promotional thing for Amex they set aside 34 million dollars in their budget for sbs. It's still worth it for Amex for the few that steal from them they get so many stores to take their card and they get people to get their card.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:46 am
For all those who say "who cares" and "Amex knows and lets" there is still an inyan of yashrus. As Jews, our way of living should not be how to live life via loopholes and gimmicks, but living life on the straight and narrow. If something is a valid offer, great, but Amex never means for it to be a full year salary ($27,000 !!) for an individual.

There is no way that it's yashar to open accounts for non-existent people (if anyone truly did that). When we start going off in different directions -- even if it's not illegal -- it's too easy to continue in the gray, murky areas, and it may end up leading us into lives which are in fact skirting the law.

Let us be role models for our children that not everything in life is a free ride, and there is a moral value to not taking everything we can figure out ways to grab.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
This is a promotional thing for Amex they set aside 34 million dollars in their budget for sbs. It's still worth it for Amex for the few that steal from them they get so many stores to take their card and they get people to get their card.

Are you really justifying stealing?

On a Jewish website?

For heaven's sake. Threads are closed and people warned for advocating for left but still Orthodox positions. I'm pretty sure that every Orthodox decisor around holds that stealing is assur.

Barbara

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:55 am
iamamother wrote:
I actually do know ppl that have made up names or have used peoples real names and bdays without social security numbers... without telling them! and that still could have a bad effect on them even without their socials... and if any of these people that r playing all this shtick ever get financially reviewed they would have to provide socials for all their cardholders... and if they cant- all their accounts will be shut down...

That's called "identity theft."

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 11:55 am
I should clarify that when I wrote that I don't think amex cares which cards are signed up for sbs I was not in any way implying that it's OK for people to take advantage, and definitely not to outright steal by using illegitimate means of obtaining cards. I was responding to a post where someone wrote that maybe this will affect amex's decision to continue with SBS. I should have quoted that post so my intentions were more clear.

iamamother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 12:28 pm
Barbara wrote:
That's called "identity theft."

its not identity theft without a social security number... dont get me wrong- o completely disagree with this whole thing... we have quite a few but no where near 100, but all the cardholders r family and they were asked before hand...

summer0808

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 12:35 pm
I don't have any and was not going to go for this for a few measly dollars and to open ccs just for this? B'h I earn a living and can make more per hour than being on the phone opening, registering and waiting on line to process!

I do think though that this promotion works for AMEX. Look at the threads from 2011. Nobody seems to know about it. and most local stores didn't accept AMEX. Now, look in the paper, EVERY store was open M'S and advertised for SBS and accept AMEX!

blondebubby

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 1:01 pm
One, and I was thrilled with that!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 3:22 pm
Two and it was perfect.

I get sad when I see people who have no life but to run around making up names and cards for one weekend a year.
What owuld happen if the credit didn't go through for some reason? $10K of bills. Stupid IMO.

And whether Amex know and don't care or don't really realize the full extent, it is still wrong to grab more than is needed. And another point is their limit is a certain amount of cards registered. So one person registers 500 cards that is 499 people who can't register theirs.

Come on, be a mensch!

boysrus

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 3:39 pm
we had 4. dh adn I are both authoized users on each other's card - for convenience, not for shtick.

I would be scared anyway to do it with too many cards, what if it didnt work for some of htem, I would be hit with a big bill. As it is right now when I go to our accounts on americanexpress dot com, the 'pending' payments seem a bit messed up, so I really hope it works right in the end.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 7:12 pm
This story is true and so sad. My dh was in a kosher super market saturday night and a very yeshivish looking guy was holding up the line because he had 500 cards and was swiping them to have thousands in store credit.
My dh asked him how he had that many cards and he said he simply opened a phone book and took out any names and made up birthdays for each.
Its sad because I think he is a ticking time bomb for living freely again.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 7:48 pm
I'm curious how long it takes the stores to process hundreds of cards. And do they swipe the cards one after another or do they have to wait for each one to be approved before swiping the next one?

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:34 pm
first of all Amex is not stupid. they set aside a specific amount of money and once they hit the limit, you can't sign up any more cards- enrollment is closed.

Saturday night enrollment was still open so it means that even with all the crazy people with 900 cards they still were under the limit.

everyone comes out ahead here. the buyers, the sellers, and Amex gets insane exposure plus all the credit card fees on the millions of dollars spent.

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:43 pm
we did five cards.

I have one, hubby has one, we are both authorized on each other, and hubby has a business card.

We realized before going out that we forgot to sign up one of the cards so we tried Sat night and it still worked. I was very surprised enrollment was still open.

asp40

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:50 pm
Two cards. We share an AmEx account.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 8:58 pm
I'm all about getting a bargain.
As long as you're not taking advantage of "the system" and you are being moral and ethical.

What does that mean???

Wel, LL Bean is having a sale:
The entire site is 10% off PLUS you receive a $10.00 gift card to spend in 24 hours.

So,

I purchased some shearling slippers before midnight and then today I bought a toiletry travel bag on clearance and paid $7.00 and free shipping, by using the $10.00 gift card.

I cannot imagine what it must have felt like to be standing on a line behind a man swiping 900 credit cards. The terms that comes to mind Are: OBNOXIOUS, insensitive, and selfish.

Sherri

Post Mon, Dec 01 2014, 9:34 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
This is a funny poll. As if doing none is equivalent to doing anything under 4.
Exactly my thoughts! Zero is zero!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 02 2014, 1:50 pm
amother wrote:
This story is true and so sad. My dh was in a kosher super market saturday night and a very yeshivish looking guy was holding up the line because he had 500 cards and was swiping them to have thousands in store credit.
My dh asked him how he had that many cards and he said he simply opened a phone book and took out any names and made up birthdays for each.
Its sad because I think he is a ticking time bomb for living freely again.

I called American Express customer service to ask if they make any attempt to verify that the social security numbers are obtained from consenting adults. The answer is no.

I said I have a friend who used someone else's ss# without their knowledge. They said I should make a police report or report it to the Fraud Department. Otherwise they will do nothing.

Customer service did tell me: If you notice on your credit report a false account for American Express, then contact the Fraud Department.

Otherwise, they do not investigate.

So go ahead, see what you can get away with.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics