Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
When to Move Baby Out of My Room

When did you move your baby out of your room?
From birth  
 11%  [ 8 ]
3-5 months  
 22%  [ 16 ]
6-9 months  
 32%  [ 23 ]
10-12 months  
 15%  [ 11 ]
when they slept through the night (bedtime til morning)  
 7%  [ 5 ]
when the next one was born  
 4%  [ 3 ]
when their friends starting making fun of them  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 70

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:37 pm
I'm trying to decide when to move my baby out of my room. I feel like she would sleep better w/ out me and I would sleep better w/o worrying about waking her w/ my noise. I also can't clean up my room cuz she's either sleeping in it or up!

DD is 5 months. At night, she goes to sleep at around 9:15, gets up at 3:45 to eat, then wakes up at around 7:00/7:30. My second bedroom does not have heat unit, but haven't had too much cold weather yet (Israel). I could always buy a plug-in heater.

When do you switch your baby and how can I be sure I'll hear her? (Sometimes I don't hear her right away during the day if the heat is on and door is closed.)

busydev

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 2:41 pm
I move my kids out around 6 months.... but then they cosleep with me after their first night nursing cause no way im getting out of bed again.

get a heater and a baby monitor. I still use one with my kids (3 and 1) who are one room over... cause with the a/c on in the summer and the heating in the winter there is no way I would hear them.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 4:18 pm
I wouldn't put a baby alone in a room with a plug in heater. heaters can cause fires. if G-d forbid there is a fire that is not something you would see or hear until it's too late, even with a baby monitor.

IMHopinion

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 6:54 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I wouldn't put a baby alone in a room with a plug in heater. heaters can cause fires. if G-d forbid there is a fire that is not something you would see or hear until it's too late, even with a baby monitor.

This.
I wouldn't even sleep with one in my room.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 7:10 pm
Um, not sure what to vote. My baby is going to be 15 months next week and he's still in my room. But I do think he'll be moving out before I end up having another one. I don't expect any sleeping through the night to happen, so that's not a valid option. And his friends won't be making fun of him by the time I move him out.

mandr

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 8:08 pm
Moved our baby into his room when he was six months and change. He slept much better after that. Also, there was no way I could do any form of sleep training if he was in my room.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 8:40 pm
Sorry can't give u advise, my almost 3 ur old baby still sleeps I'm my bed, and my next to youngest baby almost 8 sleeps in daddy's bed!! (wouldn't recommend it to anyone, )
This is what works for us. Is it normal? probably not. Old habits are hard to break.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 8:45 pm
As long as I'm breastfeeding I Leave them in my room. They all graduated somewhere between 12 and 19 months

pickle321

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 10:54 pm
I moved my baby out at five months and we all slept so much better after and we also live in Israel and her room doesn't have heat but I just dress her warm, we don't even use the heat in our room and hers isn't so cold. She sleeps in a sleep sack

acccdac

Post Tue, Dec 09 2014, 11:05 pm
I moved my baby out around 3 months. Once a predictable schedule formed I moved them out.
(3 of my 4 children slept 8-10 hours a night by 3 months)

I found that they needed their space.
I needed to not here their little noises waking me up, and me sitting there waiting for the crying to start and then it never did and I wasted 30 minutes of my own sleep.

If you are afraid you wont hear then use a monitor and leave it on low. If its by your head you'll hear a loud cry coming through the speaker on low.

I agree with the heater issue, space heaters are not so safe.

acemom

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 6:34 am
I couldn't vote because it really depends on the child.

One child I only moved out at 11 months as I didn't have where to and it took me that long to reconfigure my furniture layout in the living room....

A different child had slept through the night almost since birth and since I had the setup in place I moved him out at 3 months.

mamitaly

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 7:00 am
We moved into a 2 bedroom apt when she was 18 moths, and I moved her then. Before that I had no choice, but I would have moved her earlier. When I moved her to her own bedroom she started waking up less, and eventually started sleeping through the night at 2y.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 7:08 am
I just moved mine out at 5 months and now he sleeps much better! I don't though because I miss him! (we co-slept).

happy chick

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 11:27 am
I moved my babies out at around 4 months. I found that my kids slept for longer periods of time, even if they were still getting up to nurse at night. I would rather shlep myself out of bed and go feed my kid in the other room, so that the baby should sleep longer.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 4:58 pm
when they sleep better in a bed of their own than in mine.
One dd that was 4 months... and another dd I have still in my (or dh's) bed at 3.

pause

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 5:17 pm
You might want to add options to your poll that extend past a year. That's when I move my kids out. Between 12 and 20 months. That's when I teach them to sleep through the night. It's also at about the same time that I begin to significantly reduce breastfeeding.

LisaS

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 3:40 am
I get nervous about having a baby in the other room in cold weather, so I usually move them around March. Since my last three were summer babies, that works out to about 7-9 months old.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 1:37 pm
LisaS wrote:
I get nervous about having a baby in the other room in cold weather, so I usually move them around March. Since my last three were summer babies, that works out to about 7-9 months old.

OP here. After reading what people wrote about the space heaters, I might agree w/ you. My baby is also a summer baby (July). Now, I am seriously considering doing that. But, I just have an empty room available and would really enjoy being able to use my room normally whenever I want. Like other posters suggested, I also think that she would sleep better. She is a very large baby (90%+). She could probably sleep for much longer than she does.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics